[PROJECT] Gold Coin based Single Currency & Banking System

The Epoch devs have stated before that they do not wish to use a single currency system. However, if this gets released as a public script, my bet is that a lot of servers will start using it. I will start using it on the OverPoch server which I plan on launching. Hopefully it will be intresting and from what I've seen of it on the dev servers, it sure is. 

IMO Epoch mod is an excellent mod (otherwise I would not invest my precious time here).

Even though I do not have information about the individuals in the development team, my assumption is they are brilliant as individuals and also working in harmony to create this in the first place and keep it going for this long without ruining the initial success as many projects do.

This being the case, I cannot imagine a scenario where the minds produced this quality of a mod cannot comprehend using single currency will only help them retain existing players as they will be simplifying players life and transferring BORING/NEGATIVE time into FUN TIME, and also for the same reason, make it much more easy to gain new players. Also keeping on mind that this seems to be a time whole DayZ mod scene is losing popularity/players due to external factors beyond Epoch Mod Dev Team's control such as gamespy misfortune, patch segmentation, competition from other zombie theme games and so on. I have no stats to back this up just what I see from friends and from server stats page of some of the servers I keep an eye on. In short, I believe not adding this feature is only hurting popularity of this mod.

In terms of both immersion and "practicalities of game engine/game world" aspects, I cannot imagine why single currency can be a game breaker (or even a "negative thing" to include). One slight argument could be some people are used to existing structure, which I guess can be easily prevented by keeping the existing structure in-game and using some sort of init.sqf parameter to give the server owner the choice: "use_single_currency = absolutely" to turn it on, "not_yet" to turn it off :)

As we all know whomever quotes the Wikipedia wins any Internet argument lol so here we go:

Currency evolved from two basic innovations, both of which had occurred by 2000 BC. [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency#Early_currency ]

And to quote Epoch Mod's official background story:

Arma2 DayZ: Epoch is set in a future time after the Great Infection. Humanity is slowly returning to the wasteland, industrious survivors have begun to join together in small groups and rebuild society. Small camps of merchants have started to pop up to do business with survivors who collect goods from the wasted remnants of civilization. Wholesalers have landed on the shores offering imported goods to aid the rebuilding effort. [ http://epochmod.com/a2dayzepoch.php ]

If we look into human history any sort of human civilization, as soon as material exchange begins, they invent some sort of coinage to make it convenient without going bananas for each transaction.

This is something our game world is missing.

We have plot pole, comfort of area maintenance, engine operated vehicles (even flying ones - work of the devil!), ability to store energy in small metal containers, walls with glass windows and so on all sort of technological items but in terms of payment methods in an unfortunate way we got stuck in a pre-2000 BC timehole.

Considering all the above, my assumption is this:

Development Team have ignored/refused this common feature request in the past ("let's have single currency?") -for whatever reason- and now, in the name of consistency they are somehow unable to disown their own previous team decision even though in any unbiased project review as of July 2014, single currency will come up as the most logical, most favorable major feature to add to the existing game with the potential of elevating immersion and player comfort to new heights.

The Epoch devs have stated before that they do not wish to use a single currency system. However, if this gets released as a public script, my bet is that a lot of servers will start using it. I will start using it on the OverPoch server which I plan on launching. Hopefully it will be intresting and from what I've seen of it on the dev servers, it sure is. 

got a source on this? 

I think by the time the SC addon is released A3 Epoch will be released and SC will just dissappear into nothingness.

Unless it can be portable into A3 Epoch.

Zupa, would be great if you could comment on ETA. Thanks.

So has this script been released yet if noticed a lot of people have it running on there server but no one is will to share

Please check out the first post, specifically CURRENT STATE OF THE PROJECT subsection.

Sorry guys, i had some personal affairs this weekend which didnt allow me to sit behind my pc programming. 

But hey, i got promoted today @ work woha ^^

anyways.

Arma2net is set up and working, will change the calls tomorrow. (Only changed 1 for testing).

Maybe some testing on every possible secenario after the conversion.

And maybe rewriting some variables, since arma2net doesnt have to use headshotz and playermoralty as money/bank. ( cleaner + better thet)

Sorry guys, i had some personal affairs this weekend which didnt allow me to sit behind my pc programming. 

But hey, i got promoted today @ work woha ^^

anyways.

Arma2net is set up and working, will change the calls tomorrow. (Only changed 1 for testing).

Maybe some testing on every possible secenario after the conversion.

And maybe rewriting some variables, since arma2net doesnt have to use headshotz and playermoralty as money/bank. ( cleaner + better thet)

Awesome! Just make sure you keep letting us know with these amazing updates.

Looking forward to this.

Also if you need any help let me know, I don't know much about Arma2Net but I know a few things about sql.

I for one, am getting damned interested and wouldn't mind to smack some money to it since i am not a scripter myself. i have been building our new overpoch server for the past 3 days and it's coming along pretty nice but no need to say that the scripts in there are not created by my hand. would love to get an update on the original post seeing as it is one month ago that it was updated.

Regards,

Senith

Also shogan338, you should probably change your gametracker servers Query port or check what it is so you can get the right gametracker ones. yours are still on the old gamespy ports and you should get the steam ports for it to work :P

I for one, am getting damned interested and wouldn't mind to smack some money to it since i am not a scripter myself. i have been building our new overpoch server for the past 3 days and it's coming along pretty nice but no need to say that the scripts in there are not created by my hand. would love to get an update on the original post seeing as it is one month ago that it was updated.

Regards,

Senith

I don't update more often even though I check almost every day because our developer Zupa is the one doing all the development and he is the only one who can give us good news (and hopefully a release soon - maybe this weekend? fingers Xd).