M3Editor - A3 3D Editor

maca134

When I saved what I created, it created with the [ and ] brackets instead of the { and } brackets. Is this normal?

How are you saving your edits, in the latest version theres an epoch config option and a save option, the config one will copy the { } format to clipboard.

'Copy Epoch cfg' option allows you to have the correct syntax to place items into the config.cpp inside the epoch settings pbo.  'Save' allows you to save a project and then open it back up later with the editor if you want to change something or add to an existing project. 'Export to SQF' should be used if the map addition is complete and ready to run on the server.  It adds additional code to the top and bottom of the items list that allows the items to be loaded into the world when the server starts.  It's important to note that if you 'Copy to Epoch Cfg' or 'Export to SQF' you cannot re-open the addon file in the editor. So just keep in mind that different save functions are for different purposes depending on what you're wanting to do.  Unfortunately it's not a one size fits all solution where you hit 'Save' and you're done, which I would say is this tool's one Achilles heel.  Now if it would save a file that can be re-opened at a later time at the same time as you do a 'Copy Epoch Cfg' or a 'Export to SQF' then that would be ideal.  You'd have the best of both worlds automatically and only have to save once, but still be able to go back and make additional edits as needed.  

'Copy Epoch cfg' option allows you to have the correct syntax to place items into the config.cpp inside the epoch settings pbo.  'Save' allows you to save a project and then open it back up later with the editor if you want to change something or add to an existing project. 'Export to SQF' should be used if the map addition is complete and ready to run on the server.  It adds additional code to the top and bottom of the items list that allows the items to be loaded into the world when the server starts.  It's important to note that if you 'Copy to Epoch Cfg' or 'Export to SQF' you cannot re-open the addon file in the editor. So just keep in mind that different save functions are for different purposes depending on what you're wanting to do.  Unfortunately it's not a one size fits all solution where you hit 'Save' and you're done, which I would say is this tool's one Achilles heel.  Now if it would save a file that can be re-opened at a later time at the same time as you do a 'Copy Epoch Cfg' or a 'Export to SQF' then that would be ideal.  You'd have the best of both worlds automatically and only have to save once, but still be able to go back and make additional edits as needed.  

I've saved and reopened the addons I've created without a problem.

I've saved and reopened the addons I've created without a problem.

The only time I've been able to get a file to open inside the editor is when it's from the 'Save' function.  Neither of the other types have re-opened after being saved.  Maybe it's just my bad luck then.   :P

Just download it and place the @m3editor folder into your Arma 3 folder.  Start up Arma 3 with the @m3editor in your startup parameters along with whatever other maps you may want to use, @Bornholm for instance.  Once you are at the main game screen select "Editor".   Follow the documentation that comes with the editor from there and you should be all set.  

The only time I've been able to get a file to open inside the editor is when it's from the 'Save' function.  Neither of the other types have re-opened after being saved.  Maybe it's just my bad luck then.   :P

I always save the file as an sqf first. That way I can go back and work on it again later using the "Open" option on the same menu where the "Save" option is. 

The dlls don't go in the root.  They all stay in their original position in the mod folder.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Edit: Did what you said, still crashes when I try to save or export it. And yes, I've unblocked the DLL files.

I put mine in as a SQF, works perfectly, I'll post some screenshots of the base I made soon. Basically turned the debug spawn building in a huge military industrial cloning complex, it looks simply mean at night time. It's also got 4 patrols of AI around it.

Took 6 hrs to build and was so easy, love it!

If you want to see a massive Epoch themed base, come check out the Clonex Military Area on the salt flats of my server, careful, it's guarded by AI :P

Hmm I must have been doing something wrong, when I put a - in the repeat box it wouldn't let me type anything after that and I couldn't put in a 0.1 It seemed to take only whole numbers.

try to - 0.x