axeman

Welcome to the AI Mission forum.

Yes, we all want to make missions and put our mark on the game, give our players what they ask for and add our own ideas to the mod. Well, we welcome it and here is the place.

Here we talk about .sqf and .fsm, configs, init.sqf, whatever is involved in creating a mission.

Ask it, Code it, Post it !

Rules:

1) No Politics, long debates - Talking about how something, somewhere on the internet is not fair, or who said what ! Debate the merits of coding methods by all means.

2) No Breaking Epoch Code - Do not break our code, leave it be please until we release the final version. For a good reason, do you want to support changes in your mission every time we update the mod ?

3) Work with us, not against us. If it is in the Mod, we have done it that way for a reason, that reason is usually performance or for a better player experience. For example, don't try to 'find ways around' our server clean-up.The next update will almost certainly break your fix. We are always striving to improve and are open to suggestions.

4) All are welcome, respect others please.

5) Mission files etc. - Give credit for sources of your work.

Guidelines:

1) DO NOT pander to your players - This is a survival experience ! Before giving in and making it easy for them, think how you can make them earn it and want it, and please make it painful, maybe a sea of sappers, just a suggestion.

2) Keep it clientside as much as you can. Not sure ? See Rule 3

If I spawn AI from the client side, my .rpt contains the following sorts of errors which I imagine are due to the game engine trying to update something about the crates and AI.

8:17:02 Server: Object 3:15 not found (message Type_114)
 8:17:02 Server: Object 3:17 not found (message Type_120)
 8:17:02 Server: Object 3:16 not found (message Type_114)
 8:17:02 Server: Object 3:18 not found (message Type_109)
 8:17:02 Server: Object 3:22 not found (message Type_89)
 8:17:02 Server: Object 3:23 not found (message Type_120)
 8:17:02 Server: Object 3:21 not found (message Type_114)
 8:17:02 Server: Object 3:24 not found (message Type_109)
 8:17:02 Server: Object 3:30 not found (message Type_109)
 8:17:02 Server: Object 3:29 not found (message Type_120)
 8:17:02 Error: Object(3 : 22) not found

I do not see these errors if the AI, and crates as well, are spawned by the server. Has anyone found a way to register the AI with the game engine to avoid these errors other than spawning them on the server side ?

That's the server cleaning up items that the client spawned in.  The client cannot find them after the cleanup, which is why the error messages are happening.  With past AI packages (like SARGE) there has usually been the need for you to edit the server cleanup files to tell it to ignore certain objects.  But since we cannot edit the cleanup currently I don't see how this would be possible.  The only other solution I can think of would be to name the items being spawned in as something that is ALREADY ignored by the cleanup.  

Yes, I'm all about Guideline 1,  lets adjust the script so if you kill a trader you don't get some lame group of 3 AI with sub-machine guns.. I want a group of 10 to 12 Rambo AHOLE AI that will nuke you. They should also stay in the area until reboot boot slaughtering all they dare to go near them. So Axeman, what is the official supported method of adding AIs should we wait until you remove the CRC check?

I got my mission script working flawlessly from the server side, with almost no huge dips in performance - minus one annoyance I can't seem to work around. Players that load in can't be damaged by the AI until they've died at least once. Then everything plays out as normal. When I try to call to turn load player dmg to true, It allows players to be damaged, but then AI at safe zones can be killed, as well as players being able to kill one another in safe zones. <_<

Last kink i'm trying to work out. if anyone has any insight let me know.

I got my mission script working flawlessly from the server side, with almost no huge dips in performance - minus one annoyance I can't seem to work around. Players that load in can't be damaged by the AI until they've died at least once. Then everything plays out as normal. When I try to call to turn load player dmg to true, It allows players to be damaged, but then AI at safe zones can be killed, as well as players being able to kill one another in safe zones. <_<

Are safe zones something in Epoch by default? I wasn't aware that there were safezones in A3 Epoch.

What if you create a check so that the "AI able to be killed" function doesn't apply if players are in safe zones?  That may add a good bit of overhead to the server though, since it will have to be constantly checking player positions.

Are safe zones something in Epoch by default? I wasn't aware that there were safezones in A3 Epoch.

It stands to reason that the safe zone script from A2 Epoch would probably work.  Lookup the "Logistics" script by Nightmare.  You'd just have to define the world positions that you want to have be safe.

It stands to reason that the safe zone script from A2 Epoch would probably work.  Lookup the "Logistics" script by Nightmare.  You'd just have to define the world positions that you want to have be safe.

I'm not interested in having safe zones but with the comment about being able to kill Ai in the safezone, I thought perhaps I had missed something.

@Axeman

I might be wrong but one of the problems with spawning Client side inc Headless Client is that the AI (guns) can fire through objects unlike server side which do not. Again I may be wrong or if you can point me in the correct direction. 

That will happen anywhere if createVehicleLocal is used to create an object. This is not the case here, the AI are just set with their sklll too high. Our units that come with the octocopter are due an update because of this. They do have a random skillset but there is a minimum value. I think the range of random selection should be lower and not able to give the AI a top skill level.

AI, once aware of you, will put down suppressing fire at your last known position, they are also extremely good at predicting your next location based on your known speed and direction. They seem more concerned with your demise than their own ammo levels or well being.

That will happen anywhere if createVehicleLocal is used to create an object. This is not the case here, the AI are just set with their sklll too high. Our units that come with the octocopter are due an update because of this. They do have a random skillset but there is a minimum value. I think the range of random selection should be lower and not able to give the AI a top skill level.

AI, once aware of you, will put down suppressing fire at your last known position, they are also extremely good at predicting your next location based on your known speed and direction. They seem more concerned with your demise than their own ammo levels or well being.

Axe

so just to confim as along as AI are spawned using createUnit command and spawned using a HC they will not shoot through objects.

Not exactly, if they are aware of you and you are in a building they will pepper the shit out of the building at the point where they think you are or might be heading to.

You should be able to hide in a building and keep cover. Be aware though, the antagonist AI have a group leader with an additional .fsm brain, he will track you if he can see you or follow the copter if he can't. The copter has a much better awareness of you from it's aerial vantage point..

Assuming you are using allUnits to allowdamage, you need to make sure you use isPlayer _x to only have it apply to players.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the AI Mission forum.

Yes, we all want to make missions and put our mark on the game, give our players what they ask for and add our own ideas to the mod. Well, we welcome it and here is the place.

Here we talk about .sqf and .fsm, configs, init.sqf, whatever is involved in creating a mission.

Ask it, Code it, Post it !

Rules:

1) No Politics, long debates - Talking about how something, somewhere on the internet is not fair, or who said what ! Debate the merits of coding methods by all means.

2) No Breaking Epoch Code - Do not break our code, leave it be please until we release the final version. For a good reason, do you want to support changes in your mission every time we update the mod ?

3) Work with us, not against us. If it is in the Mod, we have done it that way for a reason, that reason is usually performance or for a better player experience. For example, don't try to 'find ways around' our server clean-up.The next update will almost certainly break your fix. We are always striving to improve and are open to suggestions.

4) All are welcome, respect others please.

5) Mission files etc. - Give credit for sources of your work.

Guidelines:

1) DO NOT pander to your players - This is a survival experience ! Before giving in and making it easy for them, think how you can make them earn it and want it, and please make it painful, maybe a sea of sappers, just a suggestion.

2) Keep it clientside as much as you can. Not sure ? See Rule 3

Axeman can you give us a status update on your work and what we might see from you?

Axeman can you give us a status update on your work and what we might see from you?

Hi, currently I am a bit tied up working on the updated launcher, to be released soon. I have an updated antagonist brain almost complete and am planning more work on the mission system in the New Year. We will be adding a treasure hunt type mission due to the popular demand for it, or at least the ability to 'craft' a mission like this. Also, can't wait to get working on the new antagonist, Kiory has been working his magic again.

• 1 month later...

Axe,

Got an idea for you in the mod that might make everyone's life a little easier. Being that everyone and their brother is going to mod the crap out of the mod you and the epoch team made, is there any way to prepare for that and standardize the work arounds by adding something like an array to add "safe objects" to so that the server doesn't clean them up with the rest??

For example, let's say that in the root directory we have a simple file called safe objects,  and inside the brackets and between the commas you insert the object that you do not want the server to clean up. This way the mod is still very easily updated and supportable, and all of the mods made by the community to work with epoch have the same thing in common when it comes to keeping objects. 

Could you imagine that? A mod being released in the script section that provides awesome and creative content to the game, while coming with the simple install instruction like: copy folder to mission folder, add lines 1,2,3 to battleye scripts.txt, and copy the 7 lines in safe objects and add them to safe_objects.sqf in your root directory. RE-PBO, You're done!

Just a thought, that's more like a prayer and a wish all in one lol

Thanks for the awesome mod by the way!

• 2 months later...