Server Admins / Hosts - Feedback Request

axeman

Question

This is a call out to server admins / hosts. Does anybody run their dayZ server specifically on a VPS, if so:

1. What is the maximum numbers of players you think can join the server before issues arise..?
  2. How much bandwidth are you using ? Would 1TB / Month be sufficient ?

TuBz and I are taking the plunge and renting a server for, initially, 6 months to run our own dayZ Epoch server, mainly to have somewhere to play, also to customise and hopefully get a couple of regular groups of players on..

Obviously cost is an issue here, I would love to go the full hog and get a Dedicated Server but if a VPS will do, for a smaller server then it is probably going to be the way we go for now..

Specs we are looking at are for the node are: dual quad-core processors and 32GB of memory per node with high speed raid 10 storage systems.

Thanks for any feedback..

Well we went with the Paris server and so far am very impressed, just need to get some network load on it, more players :) Restarts in seconds, I can now see why the specs are so high..

Can be found at tubofaxes.net (no website yet) 62.210.125.191.

Is Vanilla Epoch on V 1.0.3 (Not had time to patch yet)

dayZCommander doesn't seem to have grabbed it yet, best way is to load Arma with Epoch mod loaded and filter servers using tub of axes.

US pings obviously higher, use this website to check ping from near your location:

http://cloudmonitor.ca.com/en/ping.php

Come and join in..

Just to add while the Axeman has been asleep... the server has now been updated to 1.0.3.1 :) Vanilla Build for now!

Enjoy!

Renting a dedi with the most powerful server processor I could find, the xeon e3-1290v2. Honestly with one server ~50 players it still gets slow (4-5 server fps).  Not sure if you would see good results with a vps on a high volume server but that's dayz for you.  Honestly I feel epoch is a bit heavier than other mods such as overwatch or vanilla (obviously) and I get less performance out of it.

I have a 100mbps link and rarely go over 10mbps with 50 players

Bandwidth with one server like this per month is 3tb - 5tb.

axeman:

on dedi/vps i find this tool infinitely valuable as well: http://www.firedaemon.com/

this way you can setup the arma server and bec as services (bec ends up dependant on arma) along with some pre-post tasks to do things like rotate logs (and even shift in updated pbos automatically on boot)

if you end up getting it and have any questions lemme know as i have the bat files and services configured perfectly now so itd probably save you time

Is going to be the next step, adding as a service and with BEC. Question: How are you restarting, is it safe to do a NET STOP on the service or are you shutting down the mission, via rcon, first ?

ta.

I am new to the community here but i have been hosting dayz for 14-15 months now.

My first 3 months were with a vps it went great for the first month then i had influx of players for 3 days straight we had about 20-30 players and we noticed during peak hive writes the vps lagged out and we also noticed our hdd was more full then prefered. Arma 2 with no mods can use a solid 16 gigs my current folder on my dedi uses 27 gigs with log files after 24 hours during a weekend with average of 31 players on.

I am not a fan of vps due to node and drive sharing. If your looking for cheap and decent, Check out datashack.net. they have coloing for a really decent price. they have vps and dedicateds started at really amazing price. i currently host off one of there i7 3770k's with 16 gigs of ram and 240gig ssd for 134 a month with windows 2008 r2 standard

thats my two bits of info hope it helps and here is the link www.datashack.net

No way you're using that much bandwidth a month :o

I only hit 6-7TB/mo with 5 servers that average around 220ish players most of the day.

net stop is good.  I find calling the shutdown command from rcon to be unreliable.

I am new to the community here but i have been hosting dayz for 14-15 months now.

My first 3 months were with a vps it went great for the first month then i had influx of players for 3 days straight we had about 20-30 players and we noticed during peak hive writes the vps lagged out and we also noticed our hdd was more full then prefered. Arma 2 with no mods can use a solid 16 gigs my current folder on my dedi uses 27 gigs with log files after 24 hours during a weekend with average of 31 players on.

I am not a fan of vps due to node and drive sharing. If your looking for cheap and decent, Check out datashack.net. they have coloing for a really decent price. they have vps and dedicateds started at really amazing price. i currently host off one of there i7 3770k's with 16 gigs of ram and 240gig ssd for 134 a month with windows 2008 r2 standard

thats my two bits of info hope it helps and here is the link www.datashack.net

that... is a really good deal, might have to make the switch.  edit: damn they're out of stock