Epoch Server: Without Vendors, without "Deploy Bike" etc.

Belgadon

Hey guys,

I really wanted to try the DayZ Epoch mod, because many features included seem to be awesome. I only played the "normal" dayz so far, plus a few tests with epoch. BUT: The Vendors, the "deploy bike"-script and some other stuff ruin the atmosphere of zombie apocalypse. It seems to easy to magically build a bike out of nothing.

Is there such a server (with players on it)? Are there other people that think the same? Is there a website, tool or something where I can find such a server myself?

search for mydayz.de

they try to provide a hardcore experience. at least the last time I was on that server. but they have vendors. vendors are a part of dayz epoch. I think it will be hard to find a true survival experience for epoch. I mean it became the most casual dayz mod so far. which is not entirely bad, its just more arma than dayz. or more wasteland than dayz to be more precice. its not what the devs made out of it, its more what the players/server owners made out of it.

again, this is not bad in the first place. its just different.

In over a year here, I only remember 1 server advertising that it didn't have vendors...there are still plenty of vanilla servers without additional scripts around, but they obviously have traders.

Thanks, to both of you. I will look at mydayz.de.

I really like the game (I am pretty new), but it is hard to find a good server. With a decent amount of players on it, no pay2win ...

I think I will just try out some servers, maybe vendores aren't that bad.

KillinZedz.net had a hardcore Napf server. The vendors only carried items that other players sold to them. that's about as close to "not having vendors" as it gets. 

We have since moved on to a regular PvE Napf and Takistan server with Slow hardhitting Zedz and a lot of AI's.

The great thing about playing Epoch is you can play it any way you choose. You should come over and try out Killinzedz.net Takistan Server. 192.99.16.163:2352. It's good stuff! 

Players such as yourself are in the minority. I'm afraid DayZ has become a playground for guns n ammo nutters. Some servers have reduced zeds to stumbling about a bit whilst some have no zeds at all. Arma II anyone?

For me DayZ is survival. FINALdayZ is offering a server which boasts a hardcore setting with an emphasis on making it on your own. Please visit my  for more information.

I am afraid that just created another thread where people advertise their insanely empty servers... damn, it will never end. No one will jump onto an empty server and suddenly start their. Spend your money elsewhere. The Epoch playerbase is shrinking every day and we will soon reach a point where we have more servers than players. If you guys want to get into Arma scripting its fine. Do it! Create something new and unique. If you guys just want to host a server, well, welcome!, you are too late.

I am afraid that just created another thread where people advertise their insanely empty servers... damn, it will never end. No one will jump onto an empty server and suddenly start their. Spend your money elsewhere. The Epoch playerbase is shrinking every day and we will soon reach a point where we have more servers than players. If you guys want to get into Arma scripting its fine. Do it! Create something new and unique. If you guys just want to host a server, well, welcome!, you are too late.

It's true, the playerbase is waning but there's definitely a hardcore playerbase out there. Perhaps after so many servers have offered uber guns for nowt we can get back to what made this game unique and fun. I have regulars that appreciate the survival aspect and I relish poking around with the code.

I don't like playing soldiers so I host a server, with my money, scripting DayZ instead. I assume that's okay? Whether late for what? I don't care.

I just chose not to deploy the bike from the toolbox. As for vendors I guess you could just chose not to use them too, I think every Epoch server has vendors but it shouldn't be a problem finding one without a toolbox bike.

Best bet is probably filtering the term "hard" or "hardcore" to find a server where the players are more into survival than building.

Good luck! Hope that helps.

A lot of people have got used to the easy street servers where the "endgame" is reached within a day or a week. Most will never retreat to the harder servers at this stage.

"WTF, a few days play just to be able to buy a little bird?"

"You have to LOOK for medicine, not buy it?"

"OMG there's no safe food in this shop"

"Well this is shit, all vehicles I find need repairing"

Hear that kind of stuff so often. There is a playerbase out there for those wanting to battle the elements as much as they'd battle players, but a big number of that playerbase have seemingly become so determined to get that "hardcore" feel that they've opened a server up themselves. It's such a customizable mod that a large chunk of the minority of Epoch players, the survivalists so to speak, are hosting servers and not playing someone elses - because they can get things running exactly how they want.

People are really picky too, coming off the customization possibilities. There can be a server with 8 out of 10 desired features for someones taste. Yet the missing 2 out of 10 will make that player move on and look for perfection elsewhere, which as said could lead to them opening their own server and again dwindling down the non-owner player numbers. If you're a casual or arcadey player, or have grown tired of the survival elements, you have a list of popular servers to choose from where you can get set up and "done" quickly. Our Tavi server is challenging but not very popular, luckily though we don't really give a shit as it was made for our own tastes, for us to play on. Which is a common case.

A lot of people have got used to the easy street servers where the "endgame" is reached within a day or a week. Most will never retreat to the harder servers at this stage.

"WTF, a few days play just to be able to buy a little bird?"

"You have to LOOK for medicine, not buy it?"

"OMG there's no safe food in this shop"

"Well this is shit, all vehicles I find need repairing"

Hear that kind of stuff so often. There is a playerbase out there for those wanting to battle the elements as much as they'd battle players, but a big number of that playerbase have seemingly become so determined to get that "hardcore" feel that they've opened a server up themselves. It's such a customizable mod that a large chunk of the minority of Epoch players, the survivalists so to speak, are hosting servers and not playing someone elses - because they can get things running exactly how they want.

People are really picky too, coming off the customization possibilities. There can be a server with 8 out of 10 desired features for someones taste. Yet the missing 2 out of 10 will make that player move on and look for perfection elsewhere, which as said could lead to them opening their own server and again dwindling down the non-owner player numbers. If you're a casual or arcadey player, or have grown tired of the survival elements, you have a list of popular servers to choose from where you can get set up and "done" quickly. Our Tavi server is challenging but not very popular, luckily though we don't really give a shit as it was made for our own tastes, for us to play on. Which is a common case.

Good man.  Also, sooner or later people will realize that it's the server operator's fault for enabling such a distasteful environment of bubble wrap and happy meals.  Once the precedent has been set on a player's first impression, it's difficult to dial it back to a reasonable state for them without causing frustration and disdain.  The normal difficulty coupled with the relative balance was overshadowed by shitty eZpoch scripts to flash and woo new players.

I think the funniest server name that we saw was "-MOST MODS selfBloodbag/safezone trader/etc..."

Either way, we hope to calibrate the barometer a bit in a3 epoch alpha testing.  This way players will know what to expect...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Awesome. I have never thought getting so much feedback. Thanks guys. But sadly its true, most servers advertised here have 0-5 players (at least when I checked it).
And it is so hard to find a good server that fit someone (in my case mine of cause). There are ~6500 DayZ server and ~4000 of them running epoch. And even if I filter for unresponsive, locked, full, empty and wrong versions, there are still ~1000 servers.

How should I be able to find a server that fits my needs from more then 1000 servers? I love the idea of the game but I joined so different servers lately, that it doesnt feel right. But I think I have to continue that way and hope to find a "good" (what ever that is) server.

BTW: How is "that Problem" solved in the standalone version of dayz?

Thing about DayZ is...people like their big guns and armored vehicles. I tried running a server with none of that and people just weren't interested. I realize it's a game and should be fun, but it's strange being armed to the teeth and driving around in APC caravans with armed chopper support. Doesn't feel like an end-of-the-world scenario to me. I always thought something like 2017 Namalsk is closer to what an apocalypse setting would be, but those 2 or 3 servers shut down soon after they opened because they had absolutely none of the things that most servers have today.

Players drive and dictate what server owners add in as far as mods go. Nobody wants to own/run a server with 5 players on it.

This game hasn't been about survival and zombies for over a year now.

I hope you're wrong about the survival part. I just died after "living" for 25 days in a pretty hostile server, that sinking feeling I got when I died makes me want to survive even if it means never doing another AI mission (was killed by AI through concrete walls).

Having easy access to impressive vehicles like APCs and helis / planes is where the survival part is thrown away for me. Its ok to find a funcfional piece of military equipment or repair one using scrap but I doubt there would be large aircraft and armor salesmen in an apocalypse. That says alot too since I'm a huge fan of the piloting in ArmA, just dayz makes me feel like walking or driving is more survival oriented.

A super hardcore server would interest me as much as a super fun time server would do. Anything in the middle is just meh.

The things I'd like in a hardcore server....

Only used cars.

Manual Repairs and refuelling only.

Bloodbag only at medical trader.

Only low end military rifles which would be rare and of course hunting rifles & shotguns, which would be plentiful.

Only aircraft would be mozzies and light planes.

• 1 month later...

Players drive and dictate what server owners add in as far as mods go. Nobody wants to own/run a server with 5 players on it.

This game hasn't been about survival and zombies for over a year now.

That's subject to whom you're addressing, surely...(damned airplane). I relish the desperation I find myself in daily, and I feel alive when I see the dawn breaking after another nightmare night. My server is not for the feeble or the fun-seekers; it's purely for those DayZ players who seek adventure through surviving, despite the odds...

That's subject to whom you're addressing, surely...(damned airplane). I relish the desperation I find myself in daily, and I feel alive when I see the dawn breaking after another nightmare night. My server is not for the feeble or the fun-seekers; it's purely for those DayZ players who seek adventure through surviving, despite the odds...

That's cool and I'm glad you run a server exactly the way you want to, but I wouldn't run servers personally if they looked like this:

eFrEict.png

That's cool and I'm glad you run a server exactly the way you want to, but I wouldn't run servers personally if they looked like this:

You wouldn't, that's fine. Some like marmite, some don't. I think your position is that: if the server is empty we should give up? I'm sorry but I disagree.

I have huge respect for people like you whom have many servers and serve them well, I'm sure. But sometimes people simply want to play their way; whether that's popular or not is irrelevant.