If you close Steam, the Arma 2 server closes

Donnovan

Question

9 answers to this question

Maybe close Steam then start the server?

Mine are running without Steam open just fine...

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  I launch my server without steam but then I start steam so I can communicate with friends as I play the game.  I guess when the server restarts tho since my steam is running now it glitches out and closing steam means closing my server.  Also sometimes it glitches out further and stops me from starting OA at all saying: app is already running.  Which means I have to wait for the server restart and then fix my app running problem so I can start OA and my server at the same time. Ideally I would like the server to run independant of steam and stop glitching out like this.  I don't want to have to close steam at every restart.  If there was a way to force steam to ignore the process?

I've tried making a task kill batch file with some success but mostly failure, it worked the first time I tried it and then never again for some reason....

this is in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead folder:

taskkill.bat

@echo off
echo.
echo kill ARMA2OA.exe
set armakill="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\"
cd /d %armakill%
taskkill /im ArmA2OA.exe

I've also tried:

@echo off
echo.
echo kill ARMA2OA.exe
set armakill="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\"
cd /d %armakill%
taskkill /im ArmA2OA_BE.exe 

It worked the first time I tried it and never again sigh...

If I kill the Steam Client Bootstrapper it closes steam completely... 

I'm sure there must be a way but I haven't found it yet.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  I launch my server without steam but then I start steam so I can communicate with friends as I play the game.

Ah, is this by any chance a private server on the same pc that you play on?

If so, I'm not sure what you can do, as I'm sure Steam needs to be open when you launch the game.

I found that for some reason.....  not sure why but.....   dayz commander seems to have no problem launching my OA, it cuts right thru the app already running problem.  I don't know how it goes about doing that but if we could figure it out, I'm sure it could be implemented into a batch script