[Release] Radio Communication Script v1.3.1

Would anyone be able to tell me how I can set the 3d text to be a set size all the time, regardless of how far or close you are.  At the moment if you're next to the player the text is just too large. Maybe even a setting that turns off the 3d text if the player is less than say 30m .. ?

Another idea might be to have your own position shown on the map. Feels a bit strange when you're playing in Veteran mode and you can see your friends tag, but not your own. Maybe have your map icon a different colour and no name next to it. 

Would anyone be able to tell me how I can set the 3d text to be a set size all the time, regardless of how far or close you are.  At the moment if you're next to the player the text is just too large.

Dependant on which update setting you have for 3D (realtime (by default) or interval), you need to change a line in "RC\src\update3DNamesRT.sqf" (for realtime, line 30) or "RC\src\update3DNames.sqf" (for interval, line 38):

_size = (1-(floor(_distance/5)*0.1)) max RC_3DNameSizeMin;

Change it to a static value between 0.3 and 1. You can't really read text below 0.3. Example:

_size = 0.3;

But you will soon change it back, since you don't have a clue how far your friend is away, if you set it to a fixed size. You can play with this value a bit to find a function you like, if you know your way around math.

Maybe even a setting that turns off the 3d text if the player is less than say 30m .. ?

Again, dependant on which update setting you have for 3D (realtime (by default) or interval), you need to change a line in "RC\src\update3DNamesRT.sqf" (for realtime, line 29) or "RC\src\update3DNames.sqf" (for interval, line 37):

if (RC_3DRadius > _distance) then {

change it to

if (RC_3DRadius > _distance && _distance > 30) then {

The 30 are your 30m limitation mentioned.

Another idea might be to have your own position shown on the map. Feels a bit strange when you're playing in Veteran mode and you can see your friends tag, but not your own. Maybe have your map icon a different colour and no name next to it. 

In "checkCondition.sqf" after line 18

if (_hasRadio) then {

change it to

if (_hasRadio) then {
   player call RC_fnc_addRCUnit;

In DayZ it is important to know where you are and also find your way around a map or gps. This is a skill which needs to be learned and makes you a better player. Maybe when carrying a GPS I would show also a player icon for yourself on the map, since you have it on your GPS then.

For me this was the most helpful change:

if (RC_3DRadius > _distance && _distance > 5) then {

Now when I'm in a vehicle with a tagged friendly, it doesn't bob the players name up and down in front of me while I'm trying to drive.

Cheers again for your help btw :)

One last question, this is more of a side question really. I'm not sure if anyone else here thinks this is a good idea too.  But on my server everyone spawns with a radio and I'd like to have all the names displayed in the 2d GUI. Friends as Green/White and other players as Light Gray (but obviously not shown on the map or in 3D text) . This would be a great way to see when players come online and log off in realtime.  It's just a suggestion more than anything else, just wondering if anyone else thinks it's a cool idea. 

No, my point was so that you didn't have to keep pressing [P]. If you did make that script I'd use it :)

Also , I've noticed that after an hour or so the current RC script stops working on my server. It starts again when server restarts, but then disappears after an hour or two. Any ideas what that might be ? 

Edit: issue with script stopping solved. It was my own custom scripts interfering!

The gui should be shown for 277 hours, so it is not a configureation problem. If no script errors are created client-side, it could be an engine bug, which limits the time of GUI objects shown.

Does after an hour on your server something happen? Maybe a script is run or anything (which does not run before an hour)?

What exactly disappears after an hour? (2d gui, 3d gui, map/gps markers)

The gui should be shown for 277 hours, so it is not a configureation problem. If no script errors are created client-side, it could be an engine bug, which limits the time of GUI objects shown.

Does after an hour on your server something happen? Maybe a script is run or anything (which does not run before an hour)?

What exactly disappears after an hour? (2d gui, 3d gui, map/gps markers)

It was my fault. Sorry. I was running an admin script that gives me all the toolbelt items (i die a lot and lose my gear while testing new scripts), but I forgot to include the radio .. So on respawn I'd get the radio in my default loadout, but later when I ran the custom script ... Doh! 

Sorted now though and thanks for your patience :)

Hello,

Does this work with Dayz.St servers? I set it up without difficulty but just doesnt work. No errors either. I don't use AH or InfiSTAR. The reason I ask with Dayz.St is sometimes I have to set up the Executes differently. For instance, Admin tools I had to put the ExecVM into the IsDedicated section to get it to work. Same with a lot of other scripts. My players really like the idea of this script but it wont work :(

Thanks for any help or advice :)

If this is your first script adding to your server, you can follow these instructions (found on dayz.st wiki here):

Q. I want to edit my server to include custom scripts, how do I do this?

A. First you will need to go to your Control Panel and Enable Advanced Settings, 
you will need to then click Get Default for both the mission and server PBO. 
After you have these files you will have to unpack them with a PBO program 
such as PBOview which can be found here: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1434 
once you have them unpacked follow the tutorial in which you would like to edit. 
After that simply pack your folder back into a PBO format and upload them to the 
Control Panel and save and restart your server. 

Better look more into their forum, instead of this, since it is not directly related to the script.

If this is your first script adding to your server, you can follow these instructions (found on dayz.st wiki here):

Q. I want to edit my server to include custom scripts, how do I do this?

A. First you will need to go to your Control Panel and Enable Advanced Settings, 
you will need to then click Get Default for both the mission and server PBO. 
After you have these files you will have to unpack them with a PBO program 
such as PBOview which can be found here: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1434 
once you have them unpacked follow the tutorial in which you would like to edit. 
After that simply pack your folder back into a PBO format and upload them to the 
Control Panel and save and restart your server. 

Better look more into their forum, instead of this, since it is not directly related to the script.

I have more than 25 scripts on my server ;) Just wondering if anyone has got this to work on Dayz.St. Like I said in my first post some scripts, I have to modify where they execute or call from, for example IsDedcated, isServer etc....

Any ideas? Thanks for your help! :)

I have more than 25 scripts on my server ;) Just wondering if anyone has got this to work on Dayz.St. Like I said in my first post some scripts, I have to modify where they execute or call from, for example IsDedcated, isServer etc....

Any ideas? Thanks for your help! :)

I'm not with Dayz.st any more, but when I was they didn't seem to be running their mods any differently to anyone else.  Maybe drop them an email and ask why you need to add those checks in.  other than that I'd say this script should work perfectly fine on their servers :D

I'm not with Dayz.st any more, but when I was they didn't seem to be running their mods any differently to anyone else.  Maybe drop them an email and ask why you need to add those checks in.  other than that I'd say this script should work perfectly fine on their servers :D

I've literally tried everything...oh well, would have been nice, guess they will have to do without ;) Thanks!

Is their anyway to use this for players without having to disable that feature in infastar? This seems like a great script but I don't want to risk the integrity of my server. If anyone know a way to whitelist this script or something with infastar that would be great. 

Is their anyway to use this for players without having to disable that feature in infastar? This seems like a great script but I don't want to risk the integrity of my server. If anyone know a way to whitelist this script or something with infastar that would be great. 

The last 6 pages are mostly dedicated to that problem. The answer currently is: No.

Are you adding in a setting for max name size? :) All working fine on my server but then I don't use a cheaters 'antihack' - Good admins are all you need.

Maybe in the next version if I have a new idea. But currently no new version is planned. However, you can add that feature by yourself. Follow the instructions below:

Dependant on which update setting you have for 3D (realtime (by default) or interval), you need to change a line in "RC\src\update3DNamesRT.sqf" (for realtime, line 30) or "RC\src\update3DNames.sqf" (for interval, line 38):

_size = (1-(floor(_distance/5)*0.1)) max RC_3DNameSizeMin;

Change it to

_size = ((1-(floor(_distance/5)*0.1)) max RC_3DNameSizeMin) min RC_3dNameSizeMax;

Then create the variable RC_3dNameSizeMax in your config with the desired value:

RC_3dNameSizeMax = 1.0;

The value should be from 0 to 1. 0 would be so small it is not visible. 0.3 is measured by me as the minimum value for readable. 1.0 is the current size very close to that person.

I assume you can even go above 1, but I did not test that.

OP: Would you be able to make a menu option that allows players to set friendly for everyone in a certain radius. We use this when taking on my skalisty island bandit mission so we can keep tabs on each other, but at the start it's chaos going round everyone in a 20 user group going "friend me"... Half the time time you don't know who's not friended, who is, etc.. Maybe an option with a countdown that lets all users in a set radius click "Friend All" , then everyone who has clicked that option will be tagged as friendly.  Lol, did you get any of that ? :p

OP: Would you be able to make a menu option that allows players to set friendly for everyone in a certain radius. We use this when taking on my skalisty island bandit mission so we can keep tabs on each other, but at the start it's chaos going round everyone in a 20 user group going "friend me"... Half the time time you don't know who's not friended, who is, etc.. Maybe an option with a countdown that lets all users in a set radius click "Friend All" , then everyone who has clicked that option will be tagged as friendly.  Lol, did you get any of that ? :P

I would. But this is off topic, so send me a PM for further discussions. I would not implement this into the radio script, if you want it to be in that direction.