Essential Epoch Dedicated Server Admin Tools

Hey guys,

I've been running dayz servers on dedicated machines since august of 2012.  Here are just a few of my favorite tools to help get the admin job done!  These may not be helpful to users who do not run dedicated.

DB Tool: dbForge for MySQL - yes it is a paid product but if you are familiar with MS Sql Mgmt Studio, this will feel very familiar to you.  In may ways it is better than MSSMS, with support for command line backups and restores, not to mention great access control and SQL query profiling.  I absolutely love this product and would recommend purchasing it.  The feature that really sells this for me is autocomplete, similar to intellisense, it helps write clear and concise code.

Log File Analyzer: LogExpert - Freeware software that makes real-time analysis of log files a breeze.  Supports real time tail with filtering and highlighting.

Diff and Merge Tool: Diffmerge - Excellent for getting binary differences in files.  Want to verify an update made changes to file X?  diffmerge!

File/Folder Search Tool: WinGrep - Linux users will be familiar with grep and how useful it is.  WinGrep provides us a graphical interface to query files or directories for reference to your search string.  Supports quick and regex searches.  Great for looking up GUIDs in log files and finding references to variable names.

Service Control: Daemon tools Pro - Another paid solution.  This program allows us to make services out of executables. For those uninitiated, services are like linux daemons.  They monitor an EXE to make sure it is up and allow us to run pre and post startup commands.  While there are free versions of similar software, this is simply the best.  Also grants access to remote web panel for admins to restart/stop/start services remotely.

PBO Packer/Unpacker: PBO Manager - Pretty much a requirement if you plan on doing any modding in arma2.

Honorable Mention: PHP, PERL, Python - Great scripting languages that will help make automated tasks a bit easier.

Hope this little bit of information helps new admins out there to get a hold on their servers.  Got a program that does the job better?  Let me know in the reply section.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've been running dayz servers on dedicated machines since august of 2012.  Here are just a few of my favorite tools to help get the admin job done!  These may not be helpful to users who do not run dedicated.

DB Tool: dbForge for MySQL - yes it is a paid product but if you are familiar with MS Sql Mgmt Studio, this will feel very familiar to you.  In may ways it is better than MSSMS, with support for command line backups and restores, not to mention great access control and SQL query profiling.  I absolutely love this product and would recommend purchasing it.  The feature that really sells this for me is autocomplete, similar to intellisense, it helps write clear and concise code.

Nice list, thanks.

Out of interest, why dbforge over MySQL Workbench which is free and comes with MySQL community edition ?.

Another tool for creating services is using the Windows sc.exe command.  Technet article on it here.  sc.exe is in the command line reference for Win Server 2008 / 2008 r2 and 2012 / 2012 r2.

Thanks a lot hambeast, this is really important information for someone trying to find the better administrative methods for the game.

Did you use any pack of admin special options like the ones bellow?

Add Vehicle

Teleport

See Players/Vehicles on Map

Delete Vehicle/Base

Fly

God Mode

Hello there, ive been checking into log file analyzer , log expert, how do i connect my server to it plz so i can view real time?

not sure i know what im talking about really!! When someone accuses someone of hacking or trolling  on my server everyone keeps on saying 'check the logs'  and i'm like 'errr???' and just pretend I know what im talking about!!

many thanks

robbie

ps. I use dayz.st btw,  Is this the same as looking at the rpt??? because I can make any sense out of that file either!!!

Hello there, ive been checking into log file analyzer , log expert, how do i connect my server to it plz so i can view real time?

ps. I use dayz.st btw,  Is this the same as looking at the rpt??? because I can make any sense out of that file either!!!

Don't think you can mate. ST only gives you access to the log via ftp, and you need direct access to the filesystem or sftp access. I have never found a tail solution over ftp, but when you consider how ftp works isn't surprising really. TCAdmin based providers (such as hfb) provide the same functionality in their web console, so its change provider or go dedicated really :(