Build/Crafting Snapping

djhatche

It would be cool to add something like a snapping system to the crafting aspect of the game. And possibly having a toggle ability on it too. It would make creating geometric shapes like squares and rectangles easier. Would it be possible to add something like this in game? 

Even a 90 degree rotation option would be nice although I understand that if you place the part and it hits you while crafting you die. Maybe rotate the object so a short end is near you so there is no player object contact.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason its a WIP:

• I want it to snap different objects together. Eg. Wall -> Floor
  • I want to add the ability to adjust the Z height when the object is in its snapped position.
  • Its still buggy, it leaves red balls around after building.

Stealing code is not cool. Hacking is not cool. 

Interesting stuff....definitely a +10 for me if you can get this working properly...Its the one thing in Epoch driving me totally nuts...stupid floors/walls not staying proper height or inadvertently placing a wall and afterwards seeing that it was not totally straight...now your wall bows out/inward a bit....totally crap!

You can barely see what you need when placing the stuff too...so that does not help in anyway either.  Why we need a timer on placement?  Just have a cancel/place button or key command...I want to have a final placement button...so that after putting up a wall, I can see it from all angles and if it looks good, then I can do a final OK, otherwise I just remove it and try again...rather than current method where I am screwed once placed.

The ability to remove placed items would make building anything in Epoch 100% easier than its current state.

Good Luck on the progress...I hope you get the Wall/Floor mix working well...in the video I saw it did not snap properly (wall was higher than the others in final placement...but also when first wall was placed it was not really snapped onto the floor piece.

Hey maca 10 points for this!

Im not very concerned about the wall snapping since its getting the floor layout square/even and keeping multiple level floors in alignment in a base that's the hardest.

EG I can just make the floor layout and build the walls along the same lines as the floors!

Please consider just fixing the red balls issue, the y axis adjustment and release the code/script asap as i really want this on my server!

If i can help with any debugging/testing for this addon let me know

Thanks

And I have to agree with MACA here, STEALING CODE IS NOT COOL...

Whenever you have it ready maca, everyone will be waiting... wonder if I should start a betting pool, on how many D/Leds this gets in the first hour of release.........j/king

Awesome work mate, actually both you and Axecop are coming out with some rippers lately

Bags

The reason its a WIP:

• I want it to snap different objects together. Eg. Wall -> Floor
  • I want to add the ability to adjust the Z height when the object is in its snapped position.
  • Its still buggy, it leaves red balls around after building.

Stealing code is not cool. Hacking is not cool. 

Very nice dude.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The problem I have is when working in a 1x1 Wooden tower. I can snap the walls together in a square and even stack them using the snapping, but the 1/2 and 1/4 floors won't snap and they are too far infront of the player to lay properly in such a confined space. 

I would love the ability to move the piece towards you and away from you in the same way that we can move up and down. 

Thoughts?