Petition other mods for resources

Clunt Meastwood

So I've looked around the forums and haven't seen this asked yet and I feel that it's screaming to be mentioned:  Has anyone from the A3 Epoch team, Breaking Point team, Origins team, or any other modding team looked at the possibility of sharing resources to make a more definitive mod?

It seems silly to me, as a fan of many of these mods, to see each team with a fantastic game in which they create one or several elements that seem to fit the bill perfectly, and then have another create a different element better. Yet each modding community team seems to operate independently and siloed from the other.

Couldn't there be a skype meeting or email shared between the Epoch team, and Breaking Point team?  Couldn't each discuss intelectual property that they are willing to colaborate with in the spirit that sharing your creations and ideas is what modding is all about?

It seems crazy to me to even bother waiting for Dayz Standalone or another mod to build the game I and many other fans are looking for, while there are all the elements of a great game already out there.  Is pride in what you've made too important to colaborate to create something that will really srike the proper cord? 

In my own opinion, and most of you may differ, I believe that the original breaking point zombies (earlier generation) would be a fantastic fit for Epoch and if the Breaking Point team would be willing to share the animations and pathfinding from a system they don't even use any more, we could have a much more dynamic and intense PVE element to Epoch.  I know that this is ultimatly the Epoch team's baby and that it's also their creative freedom to choose what they want to do, but maybe they want to hear from their community in a way that I feel Bohemia Interactive and the orignal Dayz team has totally lost sight of.

I guess what I was hoping is, here, on the Epoch forums (the game that I feel has the best core mechanics) we might make it known that seeing colaboration between the teams would help move each project forward.

Am I alone?

We've discussed this at length among my admin team on TS, there are elements to Breaking Point, Altis Life and several other mods that are amazing and would be awesome if combined with Epoch but I highly doubt they'll want to all collaborate, there almost seems to be a competitive nature about it rather than a collaborative one. I blame BI personally for throwing money into the mix with the Make ARMA Not War competition, once money becomes a factor people are going to stop collaborating and start competing.

So imagine Epoch with the existing building system fleshed out but with the ability to secure buildings like Breaking Point or build more traditional building types with the iBuild mod. All the food and crafting items from Breaking Point and Altis Life. The vehicle repairing system from Breaking Point. The zombies from Breaking Point along with the existing and soon to be released Epoch antagonists, the eerie atmosphere effects / weather and some of the props from that new Stalker style map / mod that's being worked on. TBH the possibilities are endless and combining the creative minds and work of all these mods would make something truly amazing, there's enough content there already between those mods for a seriously scary freaky game. Not to mention the rate Breaking Point updates, there'd be a new feature every week! :P

The three mods you named will never collaborate, apart from Epoch allowing community contributions at some stage (hopefully). There were creators of other mods contributing their work to Dayz Epoch (ie. DayZero), it could happen again with A3E.

All of these mods you named are so incompatible, I don't know where to even start... 

If you are new around, then I'll give you one major reason this ain't happening - Out of mods you named, Epoch is the only one not stealing or using other people's work without permission. 

The three mods you named will never collaborate, apart from Epoch allowing community contributions at some stage (hopefully). There were creators of other mods contributing their work to Dayz Epoch (ie. DayZero), it could happen again with A3E.

All of these mods you named are so incompatible, I don't know where to even start... 

If you are new around, then I'll give you one major reason this ain't happening - Out of mods you named, Epoch is the only one not stealing or using other people's work without permission. 

Yeah I understand, my statement was more of a "look what amazing things *could* happen if...." I know it's impossible, BUT ONE CAN DREAM :P

Yeah, it just sucks. 

It may still be worth seeing if someone from Epoch team would be willing to extend the "olive branch" and offer a quid pro quo, to see if they could trade some elements of their moding.  I know that's a lot easier said than done in terms of logistics, but it would be nice to hear that someone actually made the effort to see if the other teams/devs would want to offer an exchange of their work.

I'm always amazed at how many things in life people say "will never happen" do when someone just out and takes a risk.

There are usually multiple reasons why it won't happen.  The most obvious are;

• Cash, either competition prizes of just being the most popular to keep those donations coming in.
  • Kudos for working with a popular mod.
  • Control of the mod makers vision (like MeshCarver with the Stalker map he has been working for years on).

What with BIS bringing out the new rules on monetization, which also includes script code, if anyone wanted the option then they would need permission from all contributors.  Bigger the collaboration, bigger the headache in the future. 

Innovations usually happen faster when there is competition.

If any mod would collaborate, I would like to see Breaking Point and Epoch as they are not too different, in my opinion. What I would not like is zombies. Wandering AI is ok (with no guns) but just not zombies, something else. Maybe wandering Sappers or something. But anyway, I played BR too little to get a general grasp of what it is exactly (except zombies). I do not like the idea of finding blueprints just to be able to build a house. Epoch got it right, you find material, you build whatever you want.

Those mods and any scripts you see are created by players and server admins like you and me.. they are not smarter or better than any of us. The only requirement to create your own (and probably better) version is your time. There's absolutely no need to rely on others for magic to happen... everyone started somewhere, majority of us with editing other people's scripts, then doing heavier and heavier modifications, finally starting one from scratch once you feel more comfy with the code. SQF is definitely one of easiest scripting languages to learn, I find it much easier than unity's javascript and that one's piss easy.

Hardest part to understand will probably be user interface configs.

What also shocked me when I started is amount of people contributing to DZE github that you never really see around forums or had no idea they code, yet they provide mod with quite impressive code and fixes in background, never taking any credit for what they do.

Great topic guys.....

Me and a few friends were only talking about this the other day...

What really made DayZ special was the amount of Community content that was available by the likes of you guys...

I would honestly believe that guys of your talent could make a true community mod...

Isnt that how Linux began (may have my facts wrong..just an example)...

Anyway Keep up the good work guys...

I believe their intention is to allow Epoch to "play nice" with other mods simply by enabling them in Arma.  I don't think that'll happen until they have a finished product though, and I'm pretty sure any other mod would have to function the same way.  In that way, haven't the Epoch devs already begun or at least put plans into action in the way of "extending the olive branch"?  Maybe I misunderstood that whole bit?