The road to 0.3.0

Tobias Solem

While watching the stream by OrangeSherbet I noticed a few new things in 0.3.0

You can now get sticks from bushes (by using a hatchet)

You can now find rope (new item)

With rope and sticks and pieces of rock (which you get by using a sledge on any rock in the game) you can craft a makeshift stone axe or maul.

Trader inventory now stacks (ie: 5 Duck, 3 Purple Nurple, etc.)

There's now a "hint" system in place, so when you look at something that is interactable (eg. a loot container) there will be a hint circle with "Press I to interact".

When buying a vehicle you can now throw a smoke grenade nearby to choose where the vehicle spawns

I saw in Sequisha's stream when he was testing 0.3.0 that the items were at least stacked, and he didn't show of any category system that I saw, although that may still be implemented. 

well, items stacked is even better idea, Show an icon of an item and next to it number of the items in that stack. Brilliant.

A description and compatibility note, would be nice for all items at the vendors.

Example....12.7 x5 clip....used in Lynx.

A. Freaking. MEN. 

The current description setup is pretty frustrating, especially when it comes to items with long descriptions (aka: Sound Suppressor (7.62 LMG vs. Sound Suppressor 7.62, in which you can't see the LMG in the description so you never know if you're buying an LMG version or not). 

Initially I had been hoping for a wider interface screen, but a description/compatibility note/pop-up would be a fan-freaking-tastic upgrade. 

Hope they have made it so you can change the jammers range, because if jammers stop loot from swarming for 300m then the admin will have to go round making sure people aint stopping whole industrial areas and so on from swarming loot, as i can see this being a big problem!!

Plus people trolling by putting jammers down to prevent loot from spawning. :rolleyes:

To that note, i hope in the admin panel there could be a way to show where frequency jammers are built? (Incase we need to remove them for that reason)

Hope they have made it so you can change the jammers range, because if jammers stop loot from swarming for 300m then the admin will have to go round making sure people aint stopping whole industrial areas and so on from swarming loot, as i can see this being a big problem!!

Yeah i don't like the idea of loot not spawning within range of a jammer. I hope that is configurable.

I don't see why the jammer stopping loot from spawning is an issue at all.  It will stop loot farming when people build bases in a military area (which shouldn't be permitted at all in my opinion).  I'd rather have no loot spawn occasionally in some areas as opposed to players be able to potentially have access to unlimited high end weapons.  Most of the maps Epoch currently runs on are quite large and offer no shortage of loot spawns.  If one area is empty, move on to another.  Seems pretty simple to me.  If a player does decide to be an asshole and plants a jammer in the middle of a town then all other players have to do is blow it up or notify an admin who can then delete it using admin tools.  Yes it has the potential to be a slight pain in the ass, but I'd rather have that as opposed to players farming loot for virtually unlimited Krypto gains.  

I don't see why the jammer stopping loot from spawning is an issue at all.  It will stop loot farming when people build bases in a military area (which shouldn't be permitted at all in my opinion).  I'd rather have no loot spawn occasionally in some areas as opposed to players be able to potentially have access to unlimited high end weapons.  Most of the maps Epoch currently runs on are quite large and offer no shortage of loot spawns.  If one area is empty, move on to another.  Seems pretty simple to me.  If a player does decide to be an asshole and plants a jammer in the middle of a town then all other players have to do is blow it up or notify an admin who can then delete it using admin tools.  Yes it has the potential to be a slight pain in the ass, but I'd rather have that as opposed to players farming loot for virtually unlimited Krypto gains.  

it's not so much an issue, we're just voicing our concerns is all. A 300m radius on any map is a pretty big area to prevent loot from spawning, is what we're saying.

it's not so much an issue, we're just voicing our concerns is all. A 300m radius on any map is a pretty big area to prevent loot from spawning, is what we're saying.

300m is probably too large of a distance, yes.  Even the largest military areas on most maps are around 100-150m areas.  I'm sure it's possible to place two different variables in play where loot will only spawn outside a 150m radius but it still keeps players from building within a 300m radius. 

As I can honestly tell the only use crypto has this point is to maintain a base, and possibly purchase gear or vehicles after death or loss of a vehicle.

Yes but that probably will change as the game develops.  I think one of the goals of the devs is to have a robust in-game economy where players trade certain rare items with each other.  Augmenting those transactions with Krypto will sometimes be necessary.  I'm sure there will be other uses for it as well. I'd like to see cases where there are certain items in game that don't even spawn in the world and are only available by purchasing them from traders.  

One person thinks it's ok to stop loot from spawning within 300m but others don't. That's why making it a configurable option is best. My server is Chernarus and its tough enough to have enough loot spawn but to exclude all within 300m is unreasonable to me.

Yep.  To each their own.    :)

and atm it's 300m from jammer to outter edge of radis, so in total its a 600m across circle that would potentially stopping loot from swarming!!

I'm sure they've taken that into consideration. They said they're using the plot pole to reference the area from, not the area radius that's being used to prevent other players from constructing things. Pretty sure these would be two different variables, you know what I mean?

Ie. I'm fairly certain the radius variable for the construction-prevention is separate from the radius variable used to determine where the jammer owner can build, no?

Or am I wrong?

I have to agree, configurable jamer would be great. looking though the code as well Addons\a3_epoch_code\compile\building\EPOCH_isBuildAllowed.sqf it would seem it hard coded at the moment and also the following is true

_jammer = nearestObjects [player, ["PlotPole_EPOCH"], 300];
_restricted = nearestObjects [player, ["ProtectionZone_Invisible_F"], 300];
_restrictedLocations = nearestLocations [player, ["NameCityCapital"], 300];

I'm sure they've taken that into consideration. They said they're using the plot pole to reference the area from, not the area radius that's being used to prevent other players from constructing things. Pretty sure these would be two different variables, you know what I mean?

Ie. I'm fairly certain the radius variable for the construction-prevention is separate from the radius variable used to determine where the jammer owner can build, no?

Or am I wrong?

sort of right if your thinking about A2 epoch, but not sure what any of that has to do with the current situation on A3 EPOCH and what we are talking about?

I personally think that each player should only be allowed to place one jammer and no more.  If the database has an entry indicating they have a jammer placed then simply they should not be allowed to place another.

Do players really need more than one base?

I personally think that each player should only be allowed to place one jammer and no more.  If the database has an entry indicating they have a jammer placed then simply they should not be allowed to place another.

Do players really need more than one base?

I see where you're coming from but I also can see the need to place more than one jammer.  Players can have a primary base and then maybe a smaller backup cache hidden somewhere else in case the primary location gets raided.  If you limit it to a single jammer then players could still do that, but they would have to decide which location they want to secure more and the other would be left wide open.