More Server than Player ?!?

Suppe

check this out: http://epochmod.com/servers.php

more servers than player ?!? lol.... really ? they've got all the principle of supply and demand is not understood....

now why everyone thinks he can do better and makes its own server on?

there are 1200 epoch server, 900 from then complete empty  ?!? 250 with 1-2 players ?!? only about 50 server've ever player.....

this is simply just a joke! How stupid can you get?

it is considered how much money a month times completely wasted !

So I guess now even really many times to think carefully whether it is still worth to operate a server.

We have no control over how many servers there are at any given time due to the fact we release our server files. If we did not release the files this certainly would not be the case.

While I think the fact that there are over 1000 people that want to run a Epoch server is cool, It does not effect me if there are 5 or 5000 servers.

The main problem is that instead of helping the community grow many are simply just attempting to take the player base away from other servers.

We have no control over how many servers there are at any given time due to the fact we release our server files. If we did not release the files this certainly would not be the case.

While I think the fact that there are over 1000 people that want to Epoch run a server is cool, It does not effect me if there are 5 or 5000 servers.

The main problem is that instead of helping the community grow many are simply just attempting to take the player base away from other servers.

sorry, I hope the translater has not done anything wrong again ...  So I thought that no evil.... was just only a fixed position,..... and I have not tried so determined to win any players with that....

clear epoch is cool and everybody wants to host a server, but the server number is way over the top..... but any way he wants: D

Many so called admins make servers on a whim. Hey, I has a server file lets make a server for me and my two friends to fill up and play against AI. And do not forget to make it 80 slot server too, because who cares, right? Even if there were only 200 servers it still would be too much, but I guess some people have high hopes for filling them up. Epoch is way way less popular than DayZ SA, which also has an abundance of empty servers. I prefer quality over quantity. Sure, it is nice to have a choice, but since in Epoch there is no such thing as server hopping, I am quite not sure why make a server, unless you wanna just test your various scripts and ideas here. Maybe that's the case? I can only wonder.

That page doesn't show the amount of players, and recording the amount of players at what is likely to be a low point (mid week) instead of a full point (weekends) would also have different results. Then you have to factor in timezones. It isn't that easy to judge this.

However I would say I believe the forums are currently more full of server devs than there are players, but most players don't visit the forums that often.

Also don't forget to take into account those 0 - 2 player servers that are run by people (like me) on a second PC who are happy right now working/playing with things behind closed doors on a mod that is still in development with addons that are in development.

check this out: http://epochmod.com/servers.php

more servers than player ?!? lol.... really ? they've got all the principle of supply and demand is not understood....

now why everyone thinks he can do better and makes its own server on?

there are 1200 epoch server, 900 from then complete empty  ?!? 250 with 1-2 players ?!? only about 50 server've ever player.....

this is simply just a joke! How stupid can you get?

it is considered how much money a month times completely wasted !

So I guess now even really many times to think carefully whether it is still worth to operate a server.

The server I host costs me nothing but my time and effort and I enjoy tinkering with it, so I get as much out of setting up the server as I do playing the game. Also, over time the player base will increase as the mod matures and people switch from Arma 2 Epoch.

Also don't assume that we all want to play on full to the brim servers (I don't play on them and I doubt my server ever will be). I like playing on low population servers and I know I'm not the only one who prefers that.

That page doesn't show the amount of players, and recording the amount of players at what is likely to be a low point (mid week) instead of a full point (weekends) would also have different results. Then you have to factor in timezones. It isn't that easy to judge this.

However I would say I believe the forums are currently more full of server devs than there are players, but most players don't visit the forums that often.

Players only visit the forum when they have a problem. Server owners on the other hand are constantly on here looking for new stuff/tweaks to put on their servers :)

Whether at peak gaming time or not, the number of servers outweigh the number of players. Or at least offer something like a 1:1.1 ratio of servers versus players. No disrespect to the devs, but if it were me, the files wouldn't be out yet. Would have kept it in testing for another 6 months or more.

If you look at how A2's lifespan went following the boom in popularity, it lasted around 15-18 months before players ran it into the ground. The modding erupted at around 1.0.1 onwards and lasted a good year or so before people started to get bored or avoid the mod because it basically become Wasteland on most servers. During the first 6 months of A2 Epoch, I saw around 800 servers online one night and 75% had players, a fair whack had more than five players online. Around 3 months ago there I noticed 3,500 A2 Epoch servers online one weekend - over 3,000 were empty and another 300 had less than 5 players.

A3E has been released for around 10 weeks. And in that 2 and a half months, modders are already tearing the 'vision' of Epoch to bits, diluting the features, turning it into Wasteland etc. Over 1200 servers, over 90% are 2 players or less, 75% empty. The A2 timeline is being repeated, but at 4 times the pace and with development at an earlier stage. It's personally put me off playing it. I wish the devs every success in their work, but like A2E, this seems another mod where the vanilla experience is wasted on numpties.

Which is the overwhelming majority, Wang.

My opinion of why it has such low population at the moment, is because it's not very good, at the moment.

I reckon the clusterfuck of servers, modded and otherwise, are actually beneficial to the devs. They can deduce what is pulling in the crowds, while distancing themselves from the modded stuff. They've got the proverbial wider net.

All the arguments about cinder strength, explosives abundance, time ratio of build to destroy, the whole fucking lot that's been argued on here, will help the devs fine tune their vanilla version.

Balance will follow, and the game will be ok, but the risk takers will, imo, always have the more populated servers.

The dust will settle over time and most players will find their home servers soon if not already. I don't mind the other servers it takes nothing away from me I have a dedicated group of players. The biggest problem I want to see fixed is the, "Player John is connecting, Player John disconnected." A unified launcher packaged with the mod can not come soon enought! Get that fixed and my average of 10 players goes to 30 or 50.

I pay a fair attention to all the Epoch servers within a 150ms of me (Melbourne, Australia) every day at various times of day and I've noticed about 50 (low times) - 300 (peak times) total Epoch players playing Australian / New Zealand / South East Asian servers and that's it. Even if you were to account for people logging off and others logging on I'd be willing to bet you still see maybe only 600-800 unique players that play semi-regularly. There's about 30 Epoch servers in Australia, only about 8 of them actually get any decent numbers at any time, even peak times. If this rings true of most countries and I think it would be reasonably representational then out of the 1200 servers globally I could easily see 2/3 of them rarely having more than 10 players at any one time.

So yes, there's a lot of servers out there that are run by people who like to play the game and would like to play it their way, want their rules and want to load in their choice of scripts to give it their own flavour. That's the key thing here, most people want the server run their way. A large portion of server owners I've come across don't actually seem to care much about the playerbase, other players are just there for them to shoot at. They're more interested in running the server how they want it and they're happy to pay the $60+ a month to do it.

In time the quality servers will obviously win out. Players server hop a lot as they should when there's so much choice around, why settle for a second rate server with crappy admins when there's better ones on offer. Whilst supply and demand here is out of sync it does force the server owners who actually care about their players to try and do a better job. It's the same reason why you see me on here, almost every day, asking things, whinging about things, posting bug reports, suggestions and wanting more, always more! Because I, like most people, want the best possible gaming experience.

See you all out there! :D

Question is do you want just vanilla Epoch? As it is vanilla Epoch has maybe a couple of weeks play time in it tops then you've done most things, build a base and are ready to move onto the next game. The missions, town invasions, insert other random thing to do script here are what make the servers more interesting. I understand Epoch is only 25% complete and I'm sure it'll be more interesting as it's further developed but you shouldn't be thinking of what Epoch should be but what Epoch COULD be, for A2 it was an amazing base, an awesome framework to build upon to make the game more interesting.

I have an Overpoch server I still run that's customised up to the hilt, 33 different scripts in total and I've made sure to keep the survival experience but added more to it, I've added lore even, something DayZ and Epoch ever only had thinly addressed. I've turned Napf into an island in a state of flux, of conflict, apparently owned by a loosely controlled group of bandits led by a supervillian type maniacal character wearing Stalker clothes and the government apparently trying to retake control of it again. Afterall, A2 Epoch was meant to be about man starting to rebuild and regain control over the planet. I've themed everything around that, I rebuilt the trader cities to make them look like actual survivor cities, with fuel, water, toilets and shelter, the mission system, roaming AI, traders, everything has been altered to make it feel more like you're just trying to struggle your way through surviving while the world goes on around you, while the government tries to take out the bandits and the bandits try to take out everyone. I personally think it adds so much more depth to the mod. Vanilla Epoch is a great thing but do you really want 1200 vanilla Epoch servers?

I had a vanilla epoch server i now only host a Hardcore server.. gives players a chance to play HC 

Im with people on making the files private even if my server cant be hosted. it will be alot better for the player base in general 

its over to the devs to make it so only there partners can host an epoch server i.e Arctic servers gtx gaming.. and set people who have been part of the community and helped others that's what i think but see what the devs think

I can't see the mod being switched to private. The open nature of the community is what drove much of DayZ Epoch's success, and it will be the same for A3 Epoch. If anything, a lot of support for the mod would be lost if the final files were locked as you suggest. More choice is never a bad thing. The well-managed servers with competent owners/admins usually end up with the larger playerbases anyway, regardless of how many total servers are out there.

it matters when 99 percent of the servers are like that. And it is very hard to find a normal one without such bullshit.

Holy shit batman

exaggeratorsanonymous-shirt.gif

How about you don't stress about what others do with their money/time/effort. Then you can spend your day searching for that 1%

No offence to the Devs or their mod, but Vanilla epoch is terrible for game play. It's proper boring! And it should be for it being so early a release, it has nothing in it. Don't take that as me knocking the mod, because I love it.

I just like some butter on my toast ;)

Also what is with the fuckery of people and their mega exagerations of percentages recently?