New to script editing

Tullerusk

Question

Hi.

I'm completely new to server management, scripting, coding etc.
I thought that by renting a server all I had to do was place a couple of files and suddenly everything would work :P

I am willing to learn, so I have looked through countless threads, guides and post on your site. I've managed to edit a few things, like the welcome message and such.
Many guides say: "Simply open the mission.pbo file in a pbo manager and then edit this and this, pack it again and your done". 

In the file manager on my hosts site, I have no idea where to find these .pbo files. I dont know which ones I can edit and which ones I should stay completely away from.
I get that scripting and coding is a matter of trying, testing and failing, but I dont even know where to start.

If somebody could just say something along the lines of: "Ok, your server is running on these files, they are placed in these folders in your file manager, and they are the ones you should edit" I would be very grateful. 

All I want to do is add a few simple scripts, like coins, adv. traders and missions.

I've added a screenshot of what my file manager looks like. Epoch 1.0.6 and Overwatch currently running

heyo.jpg

oh so you    try to add advanced trading mod in epoch 1.6.  yes it was included for default.

so i guess you made this changes:

Spoiler

A-open the custom fn_selfactions.sqf located in custom folder and find this:

// Database menu
_buy = player addAction [localize "STR_EPOCH_PLAYER_289", "\z\addons\dayz_code\actions\show_dialog.sqf",(_traderMenu select 0), 999, true, false, "",""];
s_player_parts set [count s_player_parts,_buy];

above paste:

_buyV = player addAction ["<t color='#0059FF'>Advanced Trading</t>", "zupa\advancedTrading\init.sqf",(_traderMenu select 0), 999, true, false, "",""];
s_player_parts set [count s_player_parts,_buyV];

B- in description.ext, add the following on the very very bottom

#include "zupa\advancedTrading\advancedTrading.hpp"

C- open: \MPMissions\DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus\zupa\advancedTrading\config.sqf

uste true in this line:

Z_SingleCurrency = true; // Does your server use a single currency system.

D- (INFISTAR) Add the following exceptions to your antihack if u use infistar

AdvancedTrading

Advanced trading its done!

well if u remove all of this this . epoch 1.6 must works.

be sure you are calling fine fn_selfactions.sqf again.

@juandayzNo, like I said, I have removed all the files from the adv. trading guide. There is no fn_selfactions.sqf in any custom folder.
Only thing in custom folder is cfgservertrader and chernarus11.sqf you just told me.

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake. I tried adding Single Currency, not adv. trader! But still, all files removed

4 minutes ago, Tullerusk said:

@juandayzNo, like I said, I have removed all the files from the adv. trading guide. There is no fn_selfactions.sqf in any custom folder.
Only thing in custom folder is cfgservertrader and chernarus11.sqf you just told me.

ok and you dont have in init.sqf this:

fnc_usec_selfActions = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "custom\fn_selfActions.sqf";

another thing. are you using instance_chernarus.11?

11 minutes ago, Tullerusk said:

No, instance_1_overpoch

and youre adapting all guide for it right?

for example this line

#include "custom\CfgServerTrader\chernarus11.sqf"

must be ( i guess) (see your files to be sure)

#include "custom\CfgServerTrader\overpoch1.sqf"

Your host has made all this way more difficult than it needs to be.

To get an overpoch server, all you need to do is add the @overwatch folder to your root and then copy a few files from it into @dayz_epoch_server. Then in your command line, simply add -mod=@DayzOverwatch;@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;

No need to change all the instance references.

6 minutes ago, lwbuk said:

Your host has made all this way more difficult than it needs to be.

To get an overpoch server, all you need to do is add the @overwatch folder to your root and then copy a few files from it into @dayz_epoch_server. Then in your command line, simply add -mod=@DayzOverwatch;@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;

No need to change all the instance references.

he say are not using instance11.chernarus.. and need follow this guide the traders sections..

but he need adapt all calls by what ever instance he are using.

for example he cannot use it

#include "custom\CfgServerTrader\chernarus11.sqf"

if he are using  a diferent instance..

16 minutes ago, lwbuk said:

But he doesnt need to use a different instance. My Cherno overpoch was always on Instance11. Why make life more difficult by having to change every single instance call when there is no need to.

Its not his fault and he cant fix it, but the host he is using has made it this way.

yup you have all right  but he are using   instance_1_overpoch, so yess he need kill his host:biggrin:

Looks like your running Overpoch

Your server.pbo should be located inside @DayZ_Overpoch_Server (This runs on the server)

Your mission.pbo/folder should be located inside MPMissions (can be either a pbo or a folder depending on GSP hosting system)

(This is the mission file clients download connecting to your server)

So anything that runs on the server-side like WAI, DZAI, EMS, epoch events extra buildings things like that you need to add to your server.pbo

Anything that is run local (People download this when connecting) on the server you need to add to your mission.pbo (should be the name of the map like DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus.pbo) A folder if it is a folder then it has already been unpacked and wont need to be repack into a pbo if it is a .pbo file you need to download a pbo manager install it to be able to unpack and re-pack .pbo files kinda like zipping a folder with 7-zip

You could name your mission folder .pbo (my_mission_name) anything you want as long as you update it here in config.cfg

class Missions
{
    class Mission1
    {
        template = "my_mission_name";
        difficulty="veteran";
    };

};

This block of code is telling your server to look inside MPMissions for a folder called my_mission_name that easy and if its a pbo just add .pbo to the end

class Missions
{
    class Mission1
    {
        template = "my_mission_name.pbo";
        difficulty="veteran";
    };

};

Thanks again, @juandayz, @lwbuk and @Tech_Support. I know its not too much fun trying to explain these things to a noob, but I do feel like I'm understanding most of it and learning a lot.

Customer care from my host have tried the things you suggested for me, but I still can't access the traders, so we're gonna try a clean install.
And this time I'll know better not to make changes where they dont belong (and backup files before I change them).

3 hours ago, Tullerusk said:

Thanks again, @juandayz, @lwbuk and @Tech_Support. I know its not too much fun trying to explain these things to a noob, but I do feel like I'm understanding most of it and learning a lot.

Customer care from my host have tried the things you suggested for me, but I still can't access the traders, so we're gonna try a clean install.
And this time I'll know better not to make changes where they dont belong (and backup files before I change them).

mate... i think the better way to learn.. is forgot your host (leave it to the players).. and mount your own  test server from 0.  install each mod step by step.. once you do that you gonna understand all of this.  installing mods by your self and trying to understand what your doing its the better way to learn.

if u accept my advice you can start with a 1.0.5.1 test server.. and you can follow this guide...

i promisse give you all support you need to install it for free. if at least.. once you learn all you made your own  lil script/mod  for this community :biggrin:.

I feel this is the better way to understand all about , files, locations of files, codes, in wich cases you need use the dayz_server.pbo, mpmissions.. and all about it.

Hey @juandayz. I got the traders and safezone working.

Now my issue is with trying to add overpoch loot. I've added custom loot tables, but my game seems to try and read the old hpp.

RPT files says:  File z\addons\dayz_code\Configs\CfgLoot\CfgLoot.hpp, line 114: .CfgLoot: Member already defined.

I've gone through init, mission, description and changed every call from this line to the new one, but error still comes. Where else could it be called for?

10 minutes ago, Tullerusk said:

Hey @juandayz. I got the traders and safezone working.

Now my issue is with trying to add overpoch loot. I've added custom loot tables, but my game seems to try and read the old hpp.

RPT files says:  File z\addons\dayz_code\Configs\CfgLoot\CfgLoot.hpp, line 114: .CfgLoot: Member already defined.

I've gone through init, mission, description and changed every call from this line to the new one, but error still comes. Where else could it be called for?

z\addons\dayz_code\Configs\CfgLoot\CfgLoot.hpp, line 114: .CfgLoot: Member already defined.

seems you make changes int @Dayz_Epoch  folder.   you need drop out your CfgLoot folder from here...

take a look here

Hmm.

Open description.ext and add these lines just after the line that contains: "enableItemsDropping = 0;"

#include "loottables\CfgBuildingLoot.hpp"

3. Add DZE_MissionLootTable = true; to your init.sqf near the "// DayZ Epoch config" section.

I've done all this.
Still get the error

Managed to get rid of that error, but then the server had no loot and no zombies, and a different error.

19:54:01 File z\addons\dayz_code\loot\spawn.sqf, line 32
19:54:01 Error in expression <);

{
_dir = random 360;
_mag = random (_lootParams select 4);
_lootPos = [((_lo>
19:54:01   Error position: <_lootParams select 4);
_lootPos = [((_lo>
19:54:01   Error Undefined variable in expression: _lootparams