New to script editing

Tullerusk

Question

Hi.

I'm completely new to server management, scripting, coding etc.
I thought that by renting a server all I had to do was place a couple of files and suddenly everything would work :P

I am willing to learn, so I have looked through countless threads, guides and post on your site. I've managed to edit a few things, like the welcome message and such.
Many guides say: "Simply open the mission.pbo file in a pbo manager and then edit this and this, pack it again and your done". 

In the file manager on my hosts site, I have no idea where to find these .pbo files. I dont know which ones I can edit and which ones I should stay completely away from.
I get that scripting and coding is a matter of trying, testing and failing, but I dont even know where to start.

If somebody could just say something along the lines of: "Ok, your server is running on these files, they are placed in these folders in your file manager, and they are the ones you should edit" I would be very grateful. 

All I want to do is add a few simple scripts, like coins, adv. traders and missions.

I've added a screenshot of what my file manager looks like. Epoch 1.0.6 and Overwatch currently running

heyo.jpg

@Tullerusk

well see.. you have 3 diferents locations for files. (talking about epoch server)

1-@ Dayz_Epoch.

2-@ Dayz_Server.

3-Mpmissions.

1-@ Dayz_Epoch. contain a lot of important files that you will need to edit for each mod. the 3 most importants are "compiles.sqf" "variables.sqf" and "fn_selfactions.sqf".

But the problem is that all content into this folder cannot be edited from this location. So for example if a mod ask you for a changes in a compiles.sqf  you need drop the compiles.sqf out of @Dayz_Epoch and place into Mpmissions\instance_11.chernarus\.

then you will need find where the game are calling this compiles,sqf.. and change the path.

For this example the call of compiles.sqf its located in init.sqf (mpmissions\instanc_11.chernarus or your instance\)

open init.sqf  find:

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\init\compiles.sqf";

and change into:

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "custom\compiles.sqf";

so this mean you drop compiles out of @Dayz_Epoch  and place it into mpmissions\instance_11.chernarus\custom\

Now your be able to work/edit the compiles.sqf.

2-Dayz_Server.pbo  (you will need pbo manager.. to  extract the content )

Here you can edit without drop out files.. the changes suffer effects as well.

But when you finish to edit.. you need repack the folder and save as .pbo.. cuz your server only read the .pbo.

Also all content inside its exclusive of the server.. that means player do not need download when they join to your server.

3-Mpmissions\your instance\  This is the client side.. everything you put inside gonna enlarge the mission file (the download required everytime a player join at your server)

Now.. if u have a more specific question.. just do it :happy:

All I want to do is add a few simple scripts, like coins, adv. traders and missions.

about it... epoch 1.6 have for default advanced trading,plot4life,plotmanagement,groupmanagement,snap pro, vectors and others..

thers a file called ConfigVariables.sqf   into this file you can config a lot of things and mods... but is into @ Dayz_Epoch.. so you will need drop it into Mpmissions\your instance\custom\

how you do it?

1-go to:

\@DayZ_Epoch\addons\dayz_code.pbo    extract the folder using pbo manager. 

2-open the folder and copy configvariables.sqf  then drop it into Mpmissions\your instance\custom\

3-Now you need find and change the call for this file.. so go to your init.sqf (Mpmissions\your instance\)

open it and find:

#include "\z\addons\dayz_code\configVariables.sqf" // Don't remove this line

change by:

#include "custom\configVariables.sqf" // Don't remove this line

now open the new custom configvariables.sqf and start to read and edit.

use the program "note ++" to work with editions.

About coins... its not fully realized yet.. and if ure starting just forgot this mod.. nd wait for his owner (zupa) update.

Ok, I'm starting to get the picture! Thank you!

When you say "Change by: #include "custom\config......", should I copy that word for word, or should I replace "custom" with the directory where I drop the files?

Edit:
I've added a picture of the command line, which one of staff at the company I rent from was nice enough to add for me(if its relevant to anything, @juandayz)

ghgh.png

8 minutes ago, Tullerusk said:

Ok, I'm starting to get the picture! Thank you!

When you say "Change by: #include "custom\config......", should I copy that word for word, or should I replace "custom" with the directory where I drop the files?

you can create and use custom folder if u wannt... a lot of mods uses mpmissions\instance_11.chernarus\custom\

but anyway change by other name if u want like:

#include "happyhollidays\configVariables.sqf" // Don't remove this line

Most mod files will go into MPmission folder, but a lot of mods will also require editing of other files in the Dayz_epoch_server folder. Its common place to move a lot of the server side files in Dayz_epoch_server into Mpmissions and adjust the various links in the various files to the new location.

It really doesnt help that for some reason you have several versions of epoch installed at the same time.

The only files that go into the Instance folder are the hive.ini and config files.

52 minutes ago, lwbuk said:

It really doesnt help that for some reason you have several versions of epoch installed at the same time.

What should I delete? Does it matter if the files are there when the command line doesn't tell the server to run them?

Also, for my last question of the day:
If I just want to adjust one value of something in, say, the configVariables, not add any new code, will I still need to move it into the instance folder?
Like just change one value from true to false. Or can I just repack the pbo and upload it again with the changed value?

1 hour ago, Tullerusk said:

What should I delete? Does it matter if the files are there when the command line doesn't tell the server to run them?

Also, for my last question of the day:
If I just want to adjust one value of something in, say, the configVariables, not add any new code, will I still need to move it into the instance folder?
Like just change one value from true to false. Or can I just repack the pbo and upload it again with the changed value?

yes.. repeat.. every file into @ Dayz_Epoch folder do not suffer effect... take out configvariables.sqf and made the change

and in your picture you only are showing the folder to use by your server... this is my .bat see:

@echo off
start "arma2" /min "D:\epoch_16\arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 "-config=instance_11_Chernarus\config.cfg" "-cfg=instance_11_Chernarus\basic.cfg" "-profiles=instance_11_Chernarus" -name=instance_11_Chernarus "-mod=@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;"

where says: "-mod=@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;"

this means.. the server are using the @Dayz_Epoch folder and @Dayz_Epoch_server.

if u gonna add more @ folders. then your players will need download it from an external location and install it before play your server.. so forgot this.

16 minutes ago, juandayz said:

and in your picture you only are showing the folder to use by your server... this is my .bat see:

@echo off
start "arma2" /min "D:\epoch_16\arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 "-config=instance_11_Chernarus\config.cfg" "-cfg=instance_11_Chernarus\basic.cfg" "-profiles=instance_11_Chernarus" -name=instance_11_Chernarus "-mod=@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;"

where says: "-mod=@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;"

this means.. the server are using the @Dayz_Epoch folder and @Dayz_Epoch_server.

if u gonna add more @ folders. then your players will need download it from an external location and install it before play your server.. so forgot this.

Yes I know.

The extra folder is Overwatch. Together with Epoch they make Overpoch, one of the most popular mods.

1 minute ago, Tullerusk said:

Yes I know.

The extra folder is Overwatch. Together with Epoch they make Overpoch, one of the most popular mods.

yup, but i was say the codes its not about mods :smile:

another thing.. take care about what mod you gonna install.. cuz thers a lot of 1.5.0.1 mods who dsnt work with 1.6

Just now, Tullerusk said:

I don't understand, sorry :/
Is something wrong with the command line?

no its ok.. but forgot this line.. you never gonna use it to add mods/scripts...  sory my english is too bad and sometimes i cannot say what i want to say LOL

1 minute ago, juandayz said:

no its ok.. but forgot this line.. you never gonna use it to add mods/scripts...  sory my english is too bad and sometimes i cannot say what i want to say LOL

Ah, I see.

The only reason I included it was to ask if it means that my instance is "instance_1_Overpoch" and that is where I should place the configvariables.

Thank you for all your help, and patience, I really am completely new to this.

@juandayz

Hi again. I was trying out a few changes and now I cant talk to any of the traders anymore. I dont get the prompt when I scroll on them (not even zoomed in with scope like the old bug).

I've tried restoring files back to the way they were, but the problem is still there. Which file is it most likely that something has been wrongly changed in?

2 minutes ago, Tullerusk said:

@juandayz

Hi again. I was trying out a few changes and now I cant talk to any of the traders anymore. I dont get the prompt when I scroll on them (not even zoomed in with scope like the old bug).

I've tried restoring files back to the way they were, but the problem is still there. Which file is it most likely that something has been wrongly changed in?

youre changing traders items or traders models?

@Tullerusk

1-Open your server_Traders.sqf  located in Mpmissions\instance_chernarus_11\

change your line by this:

#include "custom\CfgServerTrader\chernarus11.sqf"

2-Open your description.ext located in Mpmissions\instance_chernarus_11\

find "CfgServerTrader.hpp"  and Change your line by this:

#include "custom\CfgServerTrader\CfgServerTrader.hpp"

3-Open \@DayZ_Epoch\addons\dayz_code\Configs\  

and Drop "CfgServerTrader" folder into  Mpmissions\instance_chernarus_11\custom\

4-Open \@DayZ_Epoch\addons\dayz_code\system\mission\server_traders\

And Drop chernarus11.sqf into custom\CfgServerTrader\

5-  into : \MPMissions\DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus\custom\CfgServerTrader\Category\ 

you will see a lot of .hpp files.. modify from here your prices and items to sell and bought.