Discussion: Official Server Files Release Date!

vbawol

I promise I do not add scripts, not I correct code, do not do anything with the files, I am the admin! more precisely - the curator!
play on pirate servers several people constantly swear ...
but what can I give them? ...
give me the files and allow to report bugs ... that's all.

To make it clear.

YOU CAN ADD SCRIPTS, but don't tinker in the epoch default code.

Good point.  Simple way of doing it...

1. Add your custom script
  2. Oh no! Something broke!
  3. Remove your custom script
  4. Oh hey! Everything works!
  5. Don't add it until you figure out why and don't bother the devs unless its a huge game improvement they might use.

Good point.  Simple way of doing it...

1. Add your custom script
  2. Oh no! Something broke!
  3. Remove your custom script
  4. Oh hey! Everything works!
  5. Don't add it until you figure out why and don't bother the devs unless its a huge game improvement they might use.

In the beginning no one is going to share their scripts. So only the people that know what they are doing will have them. And they know how to handle it ^^

But then u got the major ammount of copy/pasters from the forums that won't have anything to copy unless they go digging in other persons mission file. And there u get these problems u discribe ^^

Sharing is caring! :D

Sharing also means that your server becomes less unique. 

(In before hundreds of servers that break the license and adds a bunch of crap code that runs the game at 2fps, but people play anyway because "it's easy lol" and then quits after a week because "it's too easy lol".)

(In before hundreds of servers that break the license and adds a bunch of crap code that runs the game at 2fps, but people play anyway because "it's easy lol" and then quits after a week because "it's too easy lol".)

Just the license they officialy put next to their release.

You are free to:

• Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
  •  
  • The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Under the following terms:
  • No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
Notices:
  • You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
  • No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.

And the pertinent part about "no derivatives" is this:

No Derivatives licenses permit people to copy and distribute a work as long as they do not change it or create derivative works. These licenses ensure that no matter how many times a work is copied and shared, the content of the copies will be the same as the original. ND licenses do not permit remixing or adaptation.

source: http://mollykleinman.com/2008/10/20/cc-howto-no-derivatives/

(my emphasis)

I doubt that the devs want to fill their time with delivering cease & desists (especially internationally) but I expect (and hope) they will frown on shitty derivatives with as much force as possible. 

And the pertinent part about "no derivatives" is this:

source: http://mollykleinman.com/2008/10/20/cc-howto-no-derivatives/

(my emphasis)

I doubt that the devs want to fill their time with delivering cease & desists (especially internationally) but I expect (and hope) they will frown on shitty derivatives with as much force as possible. 

I do not think many will even try to do that . (ofcourse there will be some, but i don't expect alot).

Changing your missions server files doesn't fall under this. 

Changing the Epoch PBO code and using that is what they can fight.

I do not think many will even try to do that . (ofcourse there will be some, but i don't expect alot).

Changing your missions server files doesn't fall under this. 

Changing the Epoch PBO code and using that is what they can fight.

"[VB]AWOL (Epoch): It is not limited to just client files, in time we will provide config support for most everything and documenation on how to make mods that work with our backend."

Many people seem to be confused on what restrictions the Epoch license employs, and why the developers enforce them. I'd like to start off saying that, while I have taken some basic classes in intellectual propery, I am by no means a lawyer or an expert, but I think it's safe to say that there are many grey-areas as question is quite complicated. What you are about to read is purely my opinion on it, and nothing else.

First of all, the "No Derivatives" attribute in a CC-license means that you are not allowed to take a work and transform it into something else. But this doesn't necessarily mean that you "can't touch" the work at all. In copyright law, a derivative work means that you take a work and modify it extensively enough so that your final product is so original on its' own that it constitutes as a separate work.

For example, you could probably change the output of the debug monitor (where your Hunger and Stamina is displayed) and still be "in the clear" as the modification isn't sufficient enough to be considered as a separate work. However, if you were to remove the antagonists (Sappers, Cultists, etc) and replace them with Zombies, you would be running a server with a sufficient enough modification to be considered a derivative off the Epoch mod, which would not be acceptable.

With the above said, many might wonder "okay, so what is allowed and what isn't?" which is not the question I think they should asking themselves. Before investigating what one can or cannot do, I think it's vital that one understands and respects the developers intent of placing said restrictions in the first place. From my (not-so-extensive) activity on the forums, it is my understanding that the developers want their code to be tested and receive feedback on it "as is". Servers with modified server-files may result in bugs being reported as false-positive Epoch flaws.

Unfortunately, it seems safe to assume that numerous Epoch servers with modified server-files and/or "donor stores" will appear anyway, and they will be abusing any "grey-zones" of the legal system they can find to their advantage in order to justify their actions. But I believe it's important that those who actually do want to play by the book understand, not only what legal restrictions are placed upon them, but also why the developers placed them in the first place so that the appropriate response and feedback can be returned.

So my conclusion on editing of server-files is that you are indeed free to modify them, as long as you don't edit them so much that you end up with a new mod or a variation to what Epoch is intended to be. But if you care about the mod and want to help the developers, do keep the modding to a minimum. Never alter their code any more than necessary.

You know what really makes servers unique though?  Admins that actually administer their server, aren't asshats to the people that actually need help and don't cater to the ones that don't.  In DayZ Epoch, it was the later that seemed to be prevalent in almost every server where admins were even present.  Or they'd hand out moderator powers like they were lottery tickets to people that just abused the shit out of them and just straight up lied and/or got all their following window lickers to throw cat calls at you if you tried calling them out on it.  I personally enjoyed a server where admins/mods interfered as little as possible with gameplay while watching out for people cheating, and that was very few, far and between in the past.  Sure, additional scripts can make things more interesting, but if the administration is focusing on this more than what I'm talking about, people like me aren't going to be interested in your server.  However, in the past it seemed people like me were in the minority, the other said window lickers liked their bling bling even if it meant tanking the servers performance and/or just completely ruining any chance for players to take the game seriously.  Just wanted to throw that out there.  Cheers.

Many people seem to be confused on what restrictions the Epoch license employs, and why the developers enforce them. I'd like to start off saying that, while I have taken some basic classes in intellectual propery, I am by no means a lawyer or an expert, but I think it's safe to say that there are many grey-areas as question is quite complicated. What you are about to read is purely my opinion on it, and nothing else.

First of all, the "No Derivatives" attribute in a CC-license means that you are not allowed to take a work and transform it into something else. But this doesn't necessarily mean that you "can't touch" the work at all. In copyright law, a derivative work means that you take a work and modify it extensively enough so that your final product is so original on its' own that it constitutes as a separate work.

For example, you could probably change the output of the debug monitor (where your Hunger and Stamina is displayed) and still be "in the clear" as the modification isn't sufficient enough to be considered as a separate work. However, if you were to remove the antagonists (Sappers, Cultists, etc) and replace them with Zombies, you would be running a server with a sufficient enough modification to be considered a derivative off the Epoch mod, which would not be acceptable.

With the above said, many might wonder "okay, so what is allowed and what isn't?" which is not the question I think they should asking themselves. Before investigating what one can or cannot do, I think it's vital that one understands and respects the developers intent of placing said restrictions in the first place. From my (not-so-extensive) activity on the forums, it is my understanding that the developers want their code to be tested and receive feedback on it "as is". Servers with modified server-files may result in bugs being reported as false-positive Epoch flaws.

Unfortunately, it seems safe to assume that numerous Epoch servers with modified server-files and/or "donor stores" will appear anyway, and they will be abusing any "grey-zones" of the legal system they can find to their advantage in order to justify their actions. But I believe it's important that those who actually do want to play by the book understand, not only what legal restrictions are placed upon them, but also why the developers placed them in the first place so that the appropriate response and feedback can be returned.

So my conclusion on editing of server-files is that you are indeed free to modify them, as long as you don't edit them so much that you end up with a new mod or a variation to what Epoch is intended to be. But if you care about the mod and want to help the developers, do keep the modding to a minimum. Never alter their code any more than necessary.

We need the community to take a stand and blacklist servers which break the terms and spread the word about which groups are doing so. That way they do not get any "business" for breaking the rules and the Epoch Devs do not need to resort to legal action. If the devs have to resort to legal action the whole time it will take up considerable time and tap into their finances which are better spent elsewhere like on A3 Epoch ;-).

I study law and still find these terms hard to define, its why you pay lawyers so much to argue over them. The issue is with potential offenders all over the world, legal enforcement of the licence agreement becomes increasingly difficult. Also a lot of clans/communities which breach the agreement do not have the finances which make it viable to sue them, you need to go after the private individuals that run the clans themselves which is not always easy.

All in all that is why it is up to us (the community) rather than the lawyers to solve the problems as they arise.

Many good points,

Just learning to script in ArmA 3 language at the moment so when Awol and the team release their guide on how the scripting should be done can then apply what I have learned onto my own server.

But with the mod's / creating additional content for the servers, it's okay for the big servers / communities as they probably have one or a few people who can script, whereas you have the smaller communities / servers (me being in the latter category) which cannot afford to pay for someone to code for them, work full time and trying to learn the coding, sometimes It's a bit too much.

That's why the smaller communities love mods being developed, and post suggestions / bug reports as without those mods they wouldn't have additional content, and that combined with active admins watching out for cheaters / solving problems normally drives the player base to the server / making the server their home.

Yes, I know if you want to run your own server, It's better to learn or the coding first and then make a server, but sometimes you don't have that option, I learnt to code a little for A2, got my server and then got another server to test my coding skills on, which improved a lot over time.

Just hope that the guy's who created the awesome A2 mods stick around and continue to develop their work, all I can say is the smaller communities thank you for your hard work in your free time, I certainly appreciate it :)

Shane