Discussion: Official Server Files Release Date!

vbawol

Will you still be accepting those that have posted on the trusted host thread till then?

If you posted there I do appreciate you showing interest as that did influence my decision to push for the server files to be released sooner. However, we will not be adding additional official hosts at this time as there are simply too many to try to sort though and my time is better spent right now working to get the public release ready.

AlI can say is... FUCK. YEAH.

Can't wait to have an Epoch server up and running! It's been a long time coming. I was kind of scared Epoch would go down the hosted-provider-only path like Origins. I am so happy that is not the case (and I am sure your players will be too). Congratulations and thanks, Epoch team :)

If you posted there I do appreciate you showing interest as that did influence my decision to push for the server files to be released sooner. However, we will not be adding additional official hosts at this time as there are simply too many to try to sort though and my time is better spent right now working to get the public release ready.

Damn I've met my maximum likes for today :( well that shucks :( either way I respect your decision :) very quite excited, is there any info we can get to prepare our servers/machines to make installation as quick as possible? Things like getting the prerequisites downloaded/installed/configured etc? I understand that Redis is the new database platform that is being used? I'll get a fresh ArmA 3 dedi server install on both my machines ready as a starting point :D

Thank you. This addresses pretty much all of the criticism which has been brought up over the last couple of weeks :)

Can I ask for clarification on one point, however?

Information has surfaced which indicates your intention to add some form of signature verification to the A3 Epoch codebase; specifically server-side. A few of us are somewhat concerned about this, as this will limit the ability for the modding community to extend and enhance the features of Epoch. Given the current difficulties we face with built-in Arma restrictions (being locked out of CfgVehicles mission-side, for example), adding additional restrictions is likely to stifle creativity and could lead to people looking elsewhere.

With that in mind, would you please clarify whether or not you will be adding signature verification to the base code? And if so, whether or not you plan to offer an API for modders to use, and how comprehensive that may be.

Thank you. This addresses pretty much all of the criticism which has been brought up over the last couple of weeks :)

Can I ask for clarification on one point, however?

Information has surfaced which indicates your intention to add some form of signature verification to the A3 Epoch codebase; specifically server-side. A few of us are somewhat concerned about this, as this will limit the ability for the modding community to extend and enhance the features of Epoch. Given the current difficulties we face with built-in Arma restrictions (being locked out of CfgVehicles mission-side, for example), adding additional restrictions is likely to stifle creativity and could lead to people looking elsewhere.

With that in mind, would you please clarify whether or not you will be adding signature verification to the base code? And if so, whether or not you plan to offer an API for modders to use, and how comprehensive that may be.

Very well pointed man, I hope not, restricting people from creating third party mods will certainly mean less attention, imo its whats given A2 servers the edge over one another, restricting this ability will do more bad than good

If i were to make changes to the epoch code ( if it's needed anyways) isn't that better for you? Like i can report any improvements if i made those changes to that file for example.

Just no public releases on forums of custom scripts that alternate epoch default code. But individual on the servers I script.

80% of the epoch community doesn't even come to the forums here anyways.  So just point your feedback to the official servers ?

Zupa.

If i were to make changes to the epoch code ( if it's needed anyways) isn't that better for you? Like i can report any improvements if i made those changes to that file for example.

Just no public releases on forums of custom scripts that alternate epoch default code. But individual on the servers I script.

80% of the epoch community doesn't even come to the forums here anyways.  So just point your feedback to the official servers ?

Zupa.

No means no.

I just want to clear something up for myself and maybe others but you say.

Everyone that runs a server must acknowledge that you are not to break BI terms of use http://www.bistudio....ent-usage-rules and that you accept our license:  http://creativecommo...s/by-nc-nd/4.0/ Failing to comply with the above terms will result in a Cease and Desist notice and or legal action if necessary.

How is it possible to act on legal action when Epoch is open source? and does this only include making money or does it also include modifying files? also if that is true how do you plan to enforce this in countries that don't have such licencing laws

If i were to make changes to the epoch code ( if it's needed anyways) isn't that better for you?

I am guessing this could be because of false reports of bugs that were actually caused by third party addons.

To be honest there's a lot of dilemma that comes with this, but then again - nothing's impossible, most of addons, including mine, grew with bad habit of using compiles and variables, where installation (for example SBP) could be as simple as adding a single line to init.sqf file. The positive thing about this is script compatibility, but it comes with a lot of hacky workarounds and headaches... the dilemma and problems starts when you are trying to improve functionality of original code of mod (player_build fnc was a perfect example), limits like these will either make people work together or ... probably scare ton of potential contributors away from the mod.

If this is true, this could turn out quite ugly as our community doesn't really like running vanilla and tries their best to be as unique as possible.

To certain extent it is still a race for amount of players after all, and if you are not a coder... well sucks to be you, right?

I mean look at DayZ SA servers... what's the bloody point? I just don't get the idea of paying for zero control over such powerful modding engine as Arma. Epoch will allow for limited modifications, but I just feel skeptical about this whole thing, not sure how this will impact the community, how long till players gets bored?

Take a look at A2 epoch, people pretty much stopped releasing scripts lately, mod is... kinda dead. More servers than players out there, my server empty for a month, had to cancel my dedi yesterday. It's not the Epoch to blame ofc, all blame goes to DZC after issues with 1.0.4.2 and beta, and hybrid mods like overpoch did not help the cause, in fact we kind of scared off bambis that didn't like idea of additional launch params... these are all limitations or limiting factors, if you think about it. 

Devs probably have very good reasons for this, but you gotta admit, limiting modding community will make them turn to other projects instead. And what is an open source project with no contributors? A Dead one. 

/me sends positive vibes