[FORM] The status of Epoch development

Tobias Solem

I'm sorry, but I think there is a language barrier here. I will try to push forth:

"Whats the moddevs vision ? I dont have any vision for this, so funny to say so - i just had the hope of a better version of arma2 epoch. I just dont know which kind of direction this wents at all and dont see it as a risk to something different - i would call that not so intelligent - cause everyone wants that. Well, if u go all odds - dont wonder about the response. Anyways its not my real problem - i cant feel any kind of concept behind it."

The dev's vision is their own. "Hope of a better version of arma2 epoch" Like I said this is Arma 3 Epoch  Screw it. I give up. His post has to be a translation or I am just losing it.

my friends an i stopped playing because it got boring. other than hording items in a base, there was not much else to do besides hunt people. hunt bambis, they dont come back to the server. hunt larger established groups, always seem to involve admin abuse (just my experience on a few servers). start your own server, and no one plays on it.

if there was more single player action from better antagonists then there would be a point in playing on empty servers or low pop servers. joining high pop servers that you've not played on before, seems to lead to frustrations.

i'll check back in a few months and see if anything has changed, or if it is still around. it just seems to be on a downward spiral.

Like I said this is Arma 3 Epoch  Screw it. I give up. His post has to be a translation or I am just losing it.

lol'd

Naw, I mean he makes some good points, its something that quite a few people have brought up. From our perspective the whole antagonist thing just seems really random and incoherent. However, while its important that the mod makes some kind of sense to us players, its still just a game, we're not writing a novel here. I don't see their "vision" either, but I do see they are trying to be creative as they can with these things, and I'm sure they're learning things as they move along, so I'm not going to bash them for it. I still enjoy playing what they put out. 2017 sounds like it could be pretty fun, but I doubt its going to kill Epoch. H1Z1 launched and almost everybody jumped on that shit, and I'm sure a lot of numbers have moved over to H1Z1, but there are still a lot of people that enjoy playing Epoch despite this, and I think that is a bigger contender than 2017 will ever be.

Just saw the edit of ur post -lold as i read ur comment about floating bases.  Thats still working - actually the only kind of base constrution i ve made- which provided  a bit of security. The physics are just a pain in building a base - after something is finished u can make everything floating (just remove the construction underneath)- But please show me a circle base - its always a cube (well i already wrote there are some new possibilites with roofs.

- base foundation on flat ground - denies most positions and even if u found one - destroy the floor and u can crawl under the wall into the base- Actually give me 8 6.5 mags and a mk200 and i can take over at least 70 - 80  % of bases on every server so far ( without glitching) and 15 % of  rest is not even a big challenge. 5 % have jammers in not enterable building or build such massive constructions, multiple jammers that i would take a while.  

- its not about the zombs - its about their function  - player radar. Ai are never a real threat.

Its easy to label it "alpha" or only "30% complete", the thing is, when Arma 2 DayZ Epoch had been released for the same amount of time it was far more popular.

DayZ Epoch was a continuation of the popular DayZ mod, Arma 3 Epoch isn't. Its time to listen to critics and players, streamers only stream now when there's an update, then its only for a week or so until they go back to Battle Royale, life or other games.

How many servers hosting Epoch mod now? Not that many, it may be time to consider that the direction the mod has taken is far to obscure to retain players.

Its easy to label it "alpha" or only "30% complete", the thing is, when Arma 2 DayZ Epoch had been released for the same amount of time it was far more popular.

The answer to why lies in your own post, even though Epoch itself was 30%, there was a 45-60% finished DayZ-mod on top of that, and in addition, with that license the Epoch-mod team could use other assets more freely. Now they are not.

What you are experiencing currently is the development progress from scratch, and thus; naturally, the process will take more time. 

If you base your friendship over a mod, then you have more serious issues.

Grow up dude.  We all don't have the same interests.  A couple of guys play this and few others play that.  We don't play as a group anymore.  Which is what makes this game very engaging.

Take your shitty comments somewhere else! This is a pure example of the shitty staff here!

You get on a guys case about the way hes talking and then look at you.  

I got to say when you sit down and look at the numbers, altis life and the battle royale is doing better then most epoch servers, I know the devs want to produce quality stuff that's why the test so much and more longer periods of time, but it is emptying a lot of servers, which in the long run isn't good if that is the same on every update. A lot of our players are staying off now due to the update, as there just isn't much to do and people are wanting to see if there is something worth while to keep them going with the update coming. It would be nice, just a little word from the devs about how things are coming along, just so we have an idea, something to let our players know, and I know people give a lot of flak for whatever reasons, but letting the public just know a little something every once in awhile might go a long way. I myself just want to hear something, like maybe have the devs created something they really enjoy with the current update? A little info like that I'd like to hear about, maybe a favourite feature they have put in, could be one of the melee weapons or something else, such as being able to build on the ground now works great, etc, i Just think would be nice to hear from them on something they like specifically, gives me something to look forward to seeing or trying myself.

I got to say when you sit down and look at the numbers, altis life and the battle royale is doing better then most epoch servers, I know the devs want to produce quality stuff that's why the test so much and more longer periods of time, but it is emptying a lot of servers, which in the long run isn't good if that is the same on every update. A lot of our players are staying off now due to the update, as there just isn't much to do and people are wanting to see if there is something worth while to keep them going with the update coming. It would be nice, just a little word from the devs about how things are coming along, just so we have an idea, something to let our players know, and I know people give a lot of flak for whatever reasons, but letting the public just know a little something every once in awhile might go a long way. I myself just want to hear something, like maybe have the devs created something they really enjoy with the current update? A little info like that I'd like to hear about, maybe a favourite feature they have put in, could be one of the melee weapons or something else, such as being able to build on the ground now works great, etc, i Just think would be nice to hear from them on something they like specifically, gives me something to look forward to seeing or trying myself.

Battle Royale and Altis Life are more feature-complete. But they are also completely different mods with different game mechanics and development teams. Epoch requires programming of AI, 3D-modeling of a lot of assets, and a lot needs to be made from scratch. Most of the content in A3Life has been "borrowed" (putting it mildly) and most of the content aren't actually scripted game-mechanics, but "made up" by rules and player activity. Battle Royale is an awesome mod, but it does not have much unique content in terms of items, and the core gameplay is about killing people before a timer elapses, whereas Epoch is a sandbox.

Naturally more feature-complete mods reach higher popularity, Epoch is lacking a lot of features to accomplish this at the current stage, so it's more a natural thing that the player interest drops until it starts having features that players are expecting. Sometimes I wonder if there's not a whole bunch of people here who thought Arma 3 Epoch would be a straight conversion of DayZ:Epoch and be done in a month or two. A3E is written mostly (if not completely) from scratch, and the content that isn't already in ARMA has been made from scratch as well. Just to put things in perspective: Creating one single assault rifle for ARMA 3 takes roughly a week if you work at it around 8 hours/day. Writing a script that spawns X amount of AI, using pathfinding and killing players in a certain area, and randomly spawning in a city, and then despawning after X amount of time, takes about two weeks.

There is essentially one coder (AWOL) writing the code for all the aspects of Epoch, (building, trading, loot system, fatigue, weather, etc. etc.) essentially one modeler (Sequisha) working on the models specifically for Epoch (Sappers, loot containers, loot items, building parts, etc. etc.) ... you guys know that Epoch mod is made by a very small team that do this on their spare time. I know some troll will probably call me a brown-noser for stating this fact as well, but that's simply lacking perspective. 

I am done talkin to that TG, if he is the one testing and giving constructive advice - and shutting down diffrent opinions and crtitism - no wonder epoch goes south. (koth and BR are no mods they are mission.pbos, there is a possibility to port some stuff over from a2 (maps, weapons, even vehicles).Besides that the dev team has no concept, is too small to get development progress going - cut themselve off from new devs and experienced devs - and support from hosters- Sticking to not working content instead of rework certain flaws of game meachanics. Have no communication. I wanted to know whats going wrong and where this is all heading towards- and i ve got my answer - its complete chaos instead of the team working towards the most important elements ( building system). If its such a small team - why in hell working in every angle ? At least i am even more amazed about the content from 2017 - a complete own custom malde map, ai (with own designs), custom verhicles and helicopters, already own buildings system - soon their own basebuilding system, custom weapons. Quest system.  A real concept and a focussed team who make a real sandbox mod.

I got my answers - tried to give input - but honestly i have no hopes for this and i am pretty sure there wont be much development to the end of this year regarding the basics of epoch and i dont see the end of the road - where this is heading at all. I stopped playin epoch a while ago, now and i stop beleiveing i will be better in some time. 

If i watch the statistics up, there are some flaws in collecting them - besides that be glad about ccg and mlg, aswell as evolved gameing - their content made the game playable.

I am done talkin to that TG, if he is the one testing and giving constructive advice - and shutting down diffrent opinions and crtitism - no wonder epoch goes south. (koth and BR are no mods they are mission.pbos, there is a possibility to port some stuff over from a2 (maps, weapons, even vehicles).Besides that the dev team has no concept, is too small to get development progress going - cut themselve off from new devs and experienced devs - and support from hosters- Sticking to not working content instead of rework certain flaws of game meachanics. Have no communication. I wanted to know whats going wrong and where this is all heading towards- and i ve got my answer - its complete chaos instead of the team working towards the most important elements ( building system). If its such a small team - why in hell working in every angle ? At least i am even more amazed about the content from 2017 - a complete own custom malde map, ai (with own designs), custom verhicles and helicopters, already own buildings system - soon their own basebuilding system, custom weapons. Quest system. A real concept and a focussed team who make a real sandbox mod.

I got my answers - tried to give input - but honestly i have no hopes for this and i am pretty sure there wont be much development to the end of this year regarding the basics of epoch and i dont see the end of the road - where this is heading at all. I stopped playin epoch a while ago, now and i stop beleiveing i will be better in some time.

We are currently looking for flame war poster. Apply with your CV to our secretary.

I am done talkin to that TG, if he is the one testing and giving constructive advice - and shutting down diffrent opinions and crtitism - no wonder epoch goes south. (koth and BR are no mods they are mission.pbos, there is a possibility to port some stuff over from a2 (maps, weapons, even vehicles).Besides that the dev team has no concept, is too small to get development progress going - cut themselve off from new devs and experienced devs - and support from hosters- Sticking to not working content instead of rework certain flaws of game meachanics. Have no communication. I wanted to know whats going wrong and where this is all heading towards- and i ve got my answer - its complete chaos instead of the team working towards the most important elements ( building system). If its such a small team - why in hell working in every angle ? At least i am even more amazed about the content from 2017 - a complete own custom malde map, ai (with own designs), custom verhicles and helicopters, already own buildings system - soon their own basebuilding system, custom weapons. Quest system.  A real concept and a focussed team who make a real sandbox mod.

If i watch the statistics up, there are some flaws in collecting them - besides that be glad about ccg and mlg, aswell as evolved gameing - their content made the game playable.

1794600_676121819093192_1137979351_n.jpg

I really don't care if I ever see a zombie again. The new antogonists are a welcome change. Yes, I do like the occasional swarm, it does keep you on your toes. But having them explode and leak gas, sap your energy is way more then any zombie ever did in A2. I'm not a big fan of the Rock-Monster, but watching it in twitch crushing buildings as it was stomping around while chasing the guy shooting at it was pretty amazing. Even though I wasn't in game, it felt like a real threat.

WIthout zombies, A3Epoch is quite boring on all but the most populated servers where PVP takes over. The new antagonists are more annoying than scary and looking at the rolling changelog, the fact that they are going to become more prevalent is disconcerting at best.

In another survival mod game like 7 Days to Die...you don't go out at night because the running zombies WILL get you. That keeps you on your toes. That makes you fear the night. That makes you build defences. That makes you hide from hordes. You respect the environ. 

With Epoch, there is no reason to base build beyond to stash a few guns. There is nothing to fear at low pops with such a benign environ. There is no overall point as it is not really a survival mod being food and drink are prevalent. The most dangerous thing in A3 Epoch is stairs....

I personally don't see anything in 0.3 that is going to bring back people in sustainable numbers as nothing has changed at the core of the mod to make it interesting to play over the long haul. 

It hope that changes in time. 

I think one of the problems people are seeing is, servers like MGT, CCG, etc keep pushing new features at a rate that makes the dev team seem slow. 

Lold about that- they are the one who actually keep players in the mod. Besides that i know that ibuild started to transfer his build system into mp and i heard whispers of buildings systems from a2 to a3. Both is more promising and will be finished faster than i have hopes epoch will get to something within this year.

Tobi & co - nice pictures - but who cares ? Think i am butthurt, now - seems more like u are ? I say what most of the player base is thinking and what ive experienced in the last days - i was around. Its not my fault ur communication (if my assupmtions are wrong) wasnt able to tell me otherwise.

Besides that there some amazing and nice people around - which i would drink a beer and talk about life in real life -  so its nothing against any person in particular  - but its definetely against the set of priorities and concept  - most of all against their way of handle the workflow. And i wont step back from that - there is no structure and the 30 % talk out of 100% of nothing definied - doenst make it better to repeat the alpha status - if the most importand flaws are not the things whick will be worked on a priority n1.

So post ur pictures and flame against me - whatever- i does not make me look like a weirdo.

Lold about that- they are the one who actually keep players in the mod. Besides that i know that ibuild started to transfer his build system into mp and i heard whispers of buildings systems from a2 to a3. Both is more promising and will be finished faster than i have hopes epoch will get to something within this year.

Tobi & co - nice pictures - but who cares ? Think i am butthurt, now - seems more like u are ? I say what most of the player base is thinking and what ive experienced in the last days - i was around. Its not my fault ur communication (if my assupmtions are wrong) wasnt able to tell me otherwise.

Besides that there some amazing and nice people around - which i would drink a beer and talk about life in real life -  so its nothing against any person in particular  - but its definetely against the set of priorities and concept  - most of all against their way of handle the workflow. And i wont step back from that - there is no structure and the 30 % talk out of 100% of nothing definied - doenst make it better to repeat the alpha status - if the most importand flaws are not the things whick will be worked on a priority n1.

So post ur pictures and flame against me - whatever- i does not make me look like a weirdo.

Cool-Story-Bro-resizecrop--.jpg

The most dangerous thing in A3 Epoch is stairs....

- that made my day

---

@ tobi

Reading and experiencing ur behaviour - reminds me of the embarassing reality shows with wannabe celebs ... its the feeling of skipping to the next channel asap - before someone makes himself look stupid on purpose for a bit of fame.

I really think Epoch devs are doing a great job !

They are also doing what the community see's as the wrong thing !

But i really do hope you guys are reading what the community does want, And it certainly is not antogists or anything else :/

I read threads most days asking for more buildiable items  and base protection ect ! Im yet to see anyone ask for more sappers ect !

All m guessing is the Devs vision is very different to the community's :( And that makes me sad !