[FORM] The status of Epoch development

Tobias Solem

What is your opinion on the current focus of feature development?

kXJRG0J.png

• I trust that the devs are doing what is necessary 29 : 43%
  • I think that the developers are focusing too much on the "wrong thing" 19 : 28%
  • I think there needs to be more focus on building and upgrades 28: 42%
  • I think there needs to be more focus on AI and PvE-content 19: 28%
  • I think Epoch lacks items and guns, I think those should be a priority 14: 21%
  • I do not like "The Construct" idea 11 16% I do not like "Sappers" 12: 18%

If your opinion did not fall into the options above, please write it here

• Focus should be on fixing core mechanics in the gameplay such as the whole multi gun thing. Also,
  • Instead of concentrating on antihack, pointless launchers and ridiculous antagonists, it would be nice if we could have a mod that doesn't get boring after spawn/gear/build/die repeat
  • They have literally no idea what they are doing. Please go back to scratch, come up with a working concept.
  • Guns are coming in the new marksman DLC so no need to worry about guns.
  • Where are the zombies? The game is somewhat boring without a real continuous AI threat. Poppies, goldenseal, ferris wheels, etc bring nothing to the gameplay.
  • They should of never removed MGT or Maca from the dev team. Its clear that their development team is struggling because of the loss of 2 amazing coders.
  • I think there needs to be more focus on believable items in the story. Survival is about Food/Drink, Shelter and defence.
  • The devs have no idea how to design a game.
  • The UGV is something I am not keen on either but any AI that is not just another ARMA variant would be good as long as it is not to weird.
  • They need to get off their asses and actually make a mod that works and that isn't locked down, I don't give a fuck if its "Alpha". Also Tobias stop sucking the "devs" ((if you can call them that)) balls....
  • Epoch went out of its roots along time ago. To much RockMonsters not enough community influence. Witch in first place made epoch popular.
  • Really? Constructs? Whem and where did you get idea from?
  • There are some things that I'd like to see worked on before others, but it's still early stages of development so I'm not complaining.
  • I don't trust the devs and I think they should not even get called devs because everything they did not copy paste from anywhere else is just very bad written.
  • Any content is well appreciated. Guns, vehicles, PVE content. THe game in its current state gets too boring.

What do you think is the key feature of Epoch?

4XKOEKg.png

• Building 22 33%
  • PvP 7 10%
  • Exploration and looting 3 4%
  • Survival realism 15 22%
  • PvE 5 7%
  • The fact that it is a sandbox 15 22%
  •  
In your opinion, what if anything does Epoch lack?

• Needs more crafting and build-able objects. I would like to see more missions and environmental challenges as well
  • Anything reminiscent to "mobs" in MMO's. We NEED something to fight and be threatened by consistently, be it zombies roaming towns or a much larger ( but dumbed down ) source of armed AI.
  • Balance. I spent 60mins and was able to load up with M107 and ABR with full attachments yet finding building items 1 mortar and 2 bricks.
  • Nothing
  • Zombies.
  • optional zombie skins should be available and antagonist rate should be set by type. If I don't want giant rock monster I should be able to set his spawn chance to 0
  • A real "danger". The current and only danger is other players. Monsters, if I may call them so, do nothing.
  • Direction
  • I think official servers don't get enough benefit. They need to be 1 step ahead than everybody else, all the time. And no, I don't have official server. I'm only bored reading Epoch forum when these p2w communities trolling and thinking too much for themselfs.
  • They need to add all the same building stuff from A2 epoch. Metal floors, ladders, windows, etc Please for the love of god turn off physics. That shit is trash. Make it so it has vector building like A2 epoch.
  • I like to build base, is good fun when atacking other player base 2.
  • things like health packs having no animation or use time. Same with revive, there should be some sort of penalty or wait time for reviving someone. I would also like to see more Arma 2 or custom vehciles added rather than just the Arma 3 standard vehicles. more guns would be nice too. Many servers are already using the MAS weapon mod, which is a good start. It contains most of the decent guns from arma 2. The building system needs some work but I understand that takes time. mostly in the real physics department. It is unreliable and and has a tendency to hurt players or be near impossible to build in tight spaces. I think a nice hybrid between the Arma 2 epoch style building and the new would be perfect. Notably the building pieces being able to clip into each other. It allows you to get much more creative with your structures. I would also like to see more options for building, such as smaller sized floors for more intricate building in small areas; like inside existing buildings.
  • coop benifits
  • At present PvE elements are scarce,but i am aware that changes are imminent in patches to come and in the future plans for development.
  • Question above this is stupid. Because epoch was good due to balance of all mentioned things. What epoch lacks? A2 hot points *static traders big ones*,whit that they managed to kill player interaction, and traders system is just bad. Its like reinventing the wheel, everything that worked in a2 they changed and tbh not its really boring.
  • Lacks building materials, lacks more clothing options for players, lacks vehicles, was more in arma 2 I think.
  • I think building was definitely the key feature of dayz epoch. A3Epoch seems to be more balanced with other things. Being in an early stage, it's leaning more toward pvp. If you were to ask what it should be, I think it should be a mixture.
  • Metal Floors Safes
  • epoch is building and safes, let the others make the rest :)
  • It has 0 survival feeling for now. Its wasteland with basebuilding and sappers. But its normal, dayz mods and epoch never had that coop pve feeling because of the lack of pve threat.
  • Construction of bases is a main feature for many people. the ability to create unique fortifications to defend and adapt was one of my favorite aspects in arma 2. Right now all we can create is big boxy structures with the minimal crafted base pieces in the game. IMO it would be nice to have stairs/pieces that actually snap together properly, and building pieces added that allow flexibility when building. I realize that it will come in time, but many people feel that should be a priority over other features that seem to be added recently.
  • Antagonists need to be refined. I dislike the drones as most of the time they spawn right above you in an area you can't shoot into because ARMA doesn't let you aim straight up. You then have to find cover and wait for the drone to be at the right elevation so you can shoot it. I like the sappers and wish there were a few more around.
  • 1. Sappers are fine, they are just not a real threat, I'm missing an actual threat while looting in a city. (Besides PvP) 2. What is currently missing the diversity of items, e.g. the energy part, why not implement craftable generator that gives you energy in your base. Fire can currently only be achieved by a fireplace, Anoter idea would be the barrel (like in Dayz Epoch)...etc.
  • At the moment it has like no feature, all it is made for is winning them MARMA. They don't take any help or criticism and their performance code is just hell.
  • Needs more built in PVE/PVE content, atm everyone and thier son is creating mission systems etc to enhance the PVE/PVP elements. Most of the people playing have come to expect all this trash from the Dayz background and like to be spoonfed easymode.
  • Exploration would be nice as in a more diverse environment with unique locations,
  • A good development team that knows what to focus on. Not stupid stuff and moronic ideas.
  • Antagonists.. Very little feeling of the character being in danger.

Server owners - What is your opinion on the database architecture of Epoch?

7D7gOsc.png

• I think it is fine as it is 26: 39%
  • I need MySQL because of... reasons 25: 37% 

Reactions

CH47ych.png

Thank you Tobias for taking the time to do this, you know like your own free time that is doing something positive for the Epoch community :)

Then you read some wanker puts :

Also Tobias stop sucking the "devs" ((if you can call them that)) balls....

I have a short list of who that was :p but i think we all have the same list, fuck em

Thank you Tobias for taking the time to do this, you know like your own free time that is doing something positive for the Epoch community :)

I have a short list of who that was :p but i think we all have the same list, fuck em

You mean that wasn't you? =p

I'm, for one, am very offended for Tobias, oh so offended. That was such a low blow that even I cried into my pillow a little. I mean, I know this is the internet, but OH THE HUMANITY. So cold, so very cold.

I have to say though, I'm even more disappointed that not one mom joke was used there.

Thank you Tobias for helping the community communicate with the devs, even if you are a suck up. Teachers pet teachers pet nahnahnah.

I have a short list of who that was :P but i think we all have the same list, fuck em

I wouldn't worry, water off a ducks back, if they're trying to get under our skin they're failing, we know what we have planned.. and we're not telling ;)

An interesting read though for sure.

Summary

What is your opinion on the current focus of feature development?

xi2zxbA.png

I trust that the devs are doing what is necessary 45 35% I think that the developers are focusing too much on the "wrong thing" 34 27% I think there needs to be more focus on building and upgrades 60 47% I think there needs to be more focus on AI and PvE-content 37 29% I think Epoch lacks items and guns, I think those should be a priority 28 22% I do not like "The Construct" idea 19 15% I do not like "Sappers" 19 15%
If your opinion did not fall into the options above, please write it here
Focus should be on fixing core mechanics in the gameplay such as the whole multi gun thing. Also,
Instead of concentrating on antihack, pointless launchers and ridiculous antagonists, it would be nice if we could have a mod that doesn't get boring after spawn/gear/build/die repeat
They have literally no idea what they are doing. Please go back to scratch, come up with a working concept.
Guns are coming in the new marksman DLC so no need to worry about guns.
I think the Dev is following their roadmap as they have planned it and we players/admins should stop whining about perceived (<< Keyword right there) problems or "having their priorities straight". Also, please include positive options in the future. Also, next time dont make a question required and add a box under it as a separate question. Use the "Other" checkbox at the end of the checkbox list to add ability for people to enter more content.
Give us the means to barricade existing buildings and have keys for cars again... Please..
Epoch lost direction after Arma 2 and became a mishmash of dumb shit written by redneck trash who only want to win MANW so they can afford live somewhere better than a shithole shack in Knowwhereville
I think that there isn't a more concise direction of design that is available to the public. Are they working off of a design document or just hashing things out as they go? As a modder and a indie developer myself I find this worrisome. The community is unaware of alot of things pertaining to the direction of EPOCH in general.
Its your mod, I'm just along for the ride.
I believe there is a very good chance for this to turn into A2Epoch without the zeds! The sappers are fine. The other one,IDK what they are called,need to be on all the time. We see them at night presently. I have heard of a mission sys where the traders give a task-good Idea! Fix the looting while diving! Add an area with a lab gone wrong when the collapse came along. Genetics? They made dinos. Add raptors as a very rare but deadly combatant. Every country has at least 1 zoo. So where are the animals? Where is the zoo? A roaming tiger,gazelle,giraffe? Pack of wolves perhaps? Make the damn vehicles dirty and at least used looking! They look right out of the showroom ? The guns are plenty and easy to find,so no more! I own a A3Epoch server and all in all find it good! Ty for the work so far!
Where are the zombies? The game is somewhat boring without a real continuous AI threat. Poppies, goldenseal, ferris wheels, etc bring nothing to the gameplay.
They should of never removed MGT or Maca from the dev team. Its clear that their development team is struggling because of the loss of 2 amazing coders.
I think there needs to be more focus on believable items in the story. Survival is about Food/Drink, Shelter and defence.
The devs have no idea how to design a game.
A3 Epoch is current a portrait that's still being painted. It's too early to judge anything. I like what I see so far, but there is clearly much more to be done. However I do feel that the mod's current .3 version is an accurate reflection of the status of development.
The UGV is something I am not keen on either but any AI that is not just another ARMA variant would be good as long as it is not to weird.
They need to get off their asses and actually make a mod that works and that isn't locked down, I don't give a fuck if its "Alpha". Also Tobias stop sucking the "devs" ((if you can call them that)) balls....
Epoch went out of its roots along time ago. To much RockMonsters not enough community influence. Witch in first place made epoch popular.
Why is epoch being turned into World Of Warcraft?
Really? Constructs? Whem and where did you get idea from?
There are some things that I'd like to see worked on before others, but it's still early stages of development so I'm not complaining.
I don't trust the devs and I think they should not even get called devs because everything they did not copy paste from anywhere else is just very bad written.
Any content is well appreciated. Guns, vehicles, PVE content. THe game in its current state gets too boring.
The reason I prefer to run epoch servers instead of wasteland is the building. Physics building is a fantastic idea, however it's implementation thus far has proven it to be not entirely feasible I heard in the next patch 0.3, some objects will be able to clip through the ground, this is excellent news. However the sizing of many of the models require adjustment, as they do not snap together correctly due to uneven sizing (collision mesh) After snap pro and vectors mods for arma 2 epoch, the building system in 3 feels somewhat limited. I am most looking forward to seeing additional objects able to be built
what focus? ;-P
What do you think is the key feature of Epoch?

Z4xJDlp.pngBuilding 47 37% PvP 17 13% Exploration and looting 5 4% Survival realism 23 18% PvE 8 6% The fact that it is a sandbox 28 22%

In your opinion, what if anything does Epoch lack?
Needs more crafting and build-able objects. I would like to see more missions and environmental challenges as well
Napf Support!!! Balanced economy, Krypto useless atm Remove the Multigun, remove energy --> stanima (makes more sense) Rebalance of Epoch-made weapons (mass, accuracy similar to A3 weapons) Deconstructable shelves Reparing bases is tricky atm because of physics --> tweak? Moar Builing Parts (something with windows would be nice ...) Some low-end-guns, Shotguns
Anything reminiscent to "mobs" in MMO's. We NEED something to fight and be threatened by consistently, be it zombies roaming towns or a much larger ( but dumbed down ) source of armed AI.
Balance. I spent 60mins and was able to load up with M107 and ABR with full attachments yet finding building items 1 mortar and 2 bricks.
Nothing
Zombies.
optional zombie skins should be available and antagonist rate should be set by type. If I don't want giant rock monster I should be able to set his spawn chance to 0
A real "danger". The current and only danger is other players. Monsters, if I may call them so, do nothing.
Devs that realise what the community wants and listens to them.
Survival, barricading and a constant threat eg/ zombies in DayZ Epoch were always around, could corner you and could potentially kill you. The antagonists are so rare to the point you barely ever see them.. Bring back something that is constantly around... Zombies were perfect for that role.. Something similar would be ideal...
Direction
I think official servers don't get enough benefit. They need to be 1 step ahead than everybody else, all the time. And no, I don't have official server. I'm only bored reading Epoch forum when these p2w communities trolling and thinking too much for themselfs.
They need to add all the same building stuff from A2 epoch. Metal floors, ladders, windows, etc Please for the love of god turn off physics. That shit is trash. Make it so it has vector building like A2 epoch.
I like to build base, is good fun when atacking other player base 2.
things like health packs having no animation or use time. Same with revive, there should be some sort of penalty or wait time for reviving someone. I would also like to see more Arma 2 or custom vehciles added rather than just the Arma 3 standard vehicles. more guns would be nice too. Many servers are already using the MAS weapon mod, which is a good start. It contains most of the decent guns from arma 2. The building system needs some work but I understand that takes time. mostly in the real physics department. It is unreliable and and has a tendency to hurt players or be near impossible to build in tight spaces. I think a nice hybrid between the Arma 2 epoch style building and the new would be perfect. Notably the building pieces being able to clip into each other. It allows you to get much more creative with your structures. I would also like to see more options for building, such as smaller sized floors for more intricate building in small areas; like inside existing buildings.
A Tobias antagonist that has a big fucking brown nose that disagrees with all players by means of forcing you to read paragraphs of his drivel. This could be done with ingame documents, it might not help the mod but it would give him a massive E-Boner
More building options, quater / half floors, windows, sand bags, single cinder door, metal / concrete floors, clippable objects ( maybe when placing for first time only) etc... Would also be nice to have some more storage options, wood creates, metal locker that sort of thing.
coop benifits
At present PvE elements are scarce,but i am aware that changes are imminent in patches to come and in the future plans for development.
Question above this is stupid. Because epoch was good due to balance of all mentioned things. What epoch lacks? A2 hot points *static traders big ones*,whit that they managed to kill player interaction, and traders system is just bad. Its like reinventing the wheel, everything that worked in a2 they changed and tbh not its really boring.
See top box!
proper missions. roaming AI without the dumb stupid drone.
Lacks building materials, lacks more clothing options for players, lacks vehicles, was more in arma 2 I think.
More PvE content.
I think building was definitely the key feature of dayz epoch. A3Epoch seems to be more balanced with other things. Being in an early stage, it's leaning more toward pvp. If you were to ask what it should be, I think it should be a mixture.
Metal Floors Safes
Something to give the same "background" level of threat that zombies provided in A2 Epoch. The only other thing I can think of is access to loot tables, but I guess that comes when it comes.
Ability to stock vendors. It is really painful having to go to every vendor and sell them items to get them inventory.
I miss the Arma 2 building system :'( cry cry cry.
Total absence of feeling like were in an apocalypse..
More and various "monsters"....sappers, cloakers, rock monster, etc.... are all fun and/or sound fun. Keep that up as it adds even more to this very unique title.
A more adequate banking and vehicle locking system.
A Zombie type ai that mass spawn to keep the threat lvl constant
Vendor cities
Needs more buildables Trading system needs a huge overhaul, currently there is little use for krypto aside from base maintenance.
epoch is building and safes, let the others make the rest :)
Epoch lack about 74.4% of the rest of the mod. To ask what it lacks means that we have already decided that what we can see now (24% of it) is all there ever will be. Since we are not developers, we wont know what we lack until it officially gets to 1.0.
It has 0 survival feeling for now. Its wasteland with basebuilding and sappers. But its normal, dayz mods and epoch never had that coop pve feeling because of the lack of pve threat.
Construction of bases is a main feature for many people. the ability to create unique fortifications to defend and adapt was one of my favorite aspects in arma 2. Right now all we can create is big boxy structures with the minimal crafted base pieces in the game. IMO it would be nice to have stairs/pieces that actually snap together properly, and building pieces added that allow flexibility when building. I realize that it will come in time, but many people feel that should be a priority over other features that seem to be added recently.
1. Sappers are fine, they are just not a real threat, I'm missing an actual threat while looting in a city. (Besides PvP) 2. What is currently missing the diversity of items, e.g. the energy part, why not implement craftable generator that gives you energy in your base. Fire can currently only be achieved by a fireplace, Anoter idea would be the barrel (like in Dayz Epoch)...etc.
Antagonists need to be refined. I dislike the drones as most of the time they spawn right above you in an area you can't shoot into because ARMA doesn't let you aim straight up. You then have to find cover and wait for the drone to be at the right elevation so you can shoot it. I like the sappers and wish there were a few more around.
At the moment it has like no feature, all it is made for is winning them MARMA. They don't take any help or criticism and their performance code is just hell.
Needs more built in PVE/PVE content, atm everyone and thier son is creating mission systems etc to enhance the PVE/PVP elements. Most of the people playing have come to expect all this trash from the Dayz background and like to be spoonfed easymode.
Long-term motivation beyond hoarding stuff & shooting people.
I think Epoch needs to be more PVE than PVP, the environment needs to be more "Harsh" and it needs to be harder to survive, whether that means food and drink are more important or lightning strikes kill you every time. At the moment Epoch lacks uniqueness I feel. Breaking point does the PVP/PVE thing very well with zombies, Wasteland does the PVP/PVAi very well on another side while Epoch does both of those well, but not well enough to make it stand out. Epoch needs something to get players coming back every day because you wont find the same gameplay somewhere else.
Exploration would be nice as in a more diverse environment with unique locations,
I think survival realism is the core pillar of what Epoch is about. Within that comes building, PvP, looting, PvE and the sandbox environment. In order to survive you have to build shelter, fend off other players, loot for supplies and weapons, eliminate or mitigate threats from the environment (antagonists) and be able to navigate and master large areas of real estate.
Some form of bandit alert system, lootable in the game and buyable from traders. Like a wristband that flashes red when a known player to KOS is within a certain limit. Probably not possible but would be helpful for those of us that are not out to shoot everything that moves. Cheers & keep up the great work, Pry
Epochs Key features are varied. They encompass all aspects of the what the form is asking. Its Building, PVP, Exploring and looting, Survival, PVE and a sandbox. Its a amalgamation of all of these aspects. Thats what makes it enticing to the player. These aspects need to be capitalized on further as the mod progresses.
A good development team that knows what to focus on. Not stupid stuff and moronic ideas.
Antagonists.. Very little feeling of the character being in danger.
Server owners - What is your opinion on the database architecture of Epoch?

kzFSLLo.png

I think it is fine as it is 48 38% I need MySQL because of... reasons 48 38%

I wouldn't worry, water off a ducks back, if they're trying to get under our skin they're failing, we know what we have planned.. and we're not telling ;)

I bet  bucks that u have no clue at all what u are heading for-  to say u are not telling what u are planing makes me angry - cause what uve planned and done so far is destroying the reputation of the tm epoch in arma 3 and it seems it wont get better with ur wishful and ignorant  thinking on ur clpud 9.

Working and much appreciated arma2 epoch and than u deliever this piece of junk mod, which wouldnt have been played by anyone for a bit - if it hadnt have the famous name of epoch.  Nothing works out so far - physics are horrible, building elements whithout any sense for the game (foundations everyon will crawl under ur base, no real floors or roofs. no defense builds). Kam me hame ha  ai, exploding monsters (make sense o.O) - biggest disapointment i ve ever had in my mod experiences- And still u are hiding behind u alpha stage.  The day 2017 arma mod comes out -> ur mod will vanish completely !. Smoke less pot and go back to the epoch roots - and most importand ask the community what they want- cause they actually have the gamesense to implement something more balanced, common sensed and mind processed content-

Waiting 4 2 things-

ibuild for mpmods

I bet  bucks that u have no clue at all what u are heading for- Woking and much appreciated arma2 epoch and than u deliever this piece of junk mod, which wouldnt have been played by anyone for a bit - if it hadnt have the famous name of epoch.  Nothing works out so far - physics are horrible, building elements whithout any sense for the game (foundations everyon will crawl under ur base, no real floors or roofs. no defense builds). Kam me hame ha  ai, exploding monsters (make sense o.O) - biggest disapointment i ve ever had in my mod experiences- And still u are hiding behind u alpha stage.  The day 2017 arma mod comes out -> ur mod will vanish completely !. Smoke less pot and go back to the epoch roots - and most importand ask the community what they want- cause they actually have the gamesense to implement something more balanced, common sensed and mind processed content-

seriously invaluable input , really hope the devs have taken on board your ideas and implemented them for the future of epoch..... OH wait you didn't even give any ideas , hmm I wonder how the mod you are building will play , it must be amazing.

Lol, Bacider first post eh? ;) you are deluded if you think I get time to 'smoke pot' do you really think I'd support 3, soon to be 4 kids, a wife, two rabbits and a goldfish if I did. Oh, and find time to do what I love, create for this mod! What have you done? We don't know cos you prefer anonymity, I call bwaark..

Questionare/poll was pointless then if you already have a plan.