[FORM] The status of Epoch development

Tobias Solem

I don't believe MGT ever made money and only after the fallout they setup the store.   I think you should check facts on that.

I don't need to check my facts, at all. I know fully well most of the details that went on backstage including the discussions that went on between Paul and Dave and his crew. MGT loved trolling Paul (Sequisha) in particular, and Skaronator too particularly in regards about infiSTAR. Not one night would pass when they wouldn't be poking and provoking either of them. That's the key aspect of their community after all. What really made the cup spill over was that epoch devs were checking the official hosts and found out that the entire Epoch-dev team was banned from their server, which is by what time the devs simply got fed up with the whole Chris/Trolling/Getting banned thing and removed MGT as an official host, after which MGT decided now was a good time to start to sell stuff Sequisha has modeled just to further spite him. 

Naturally most of what the public got wind off was the whole shenanigan between Skaronator and infiSTAR's antihacks and who stole what code from whom. To me it never was any shades of grey as Chris basically someone who helped cause the problems from the first getgo, and out of spite for the Epoch dev team made it a part of his antihack that all Epoch devs are banned.

That whole damn drama is/should be past most of us. Personally I'm glad we don't have to deal with them (with the exception of Grim who never was anything but a nice guy to me) anymore. Why the devs don't want to deal with anyone of them anymore is NOT anything that surprises me. 

It maybe stupid to you but this is the real shit, that really needs to happen.

What needs to happen? o_O Pretty sure he was referencing to the whole pissing contest thing that often shows up in random threads.

I see more discussion about the conflict between the Epoch devs and the you-know-who's than I ever see between the people that are actually involved. Give it a rest already. Can't help but feel people like to come to these forums primarily to get their daily drama fix. This is a game mod, not the fucking holy land.

I'd like to see hard working, creative developers and modders work together to make something great, but people have to be dicks to one another so it is what it is.

Must feel good brown nosing the devs. You must feel so important because you think you know everything that went on behind the scenes except that you didn't. Skaro stole infi's code simple as that. If it wasn't for MGT, Grim, and Maca. Epoch wouldn't have existed on Arma 3. Those 3 fixed bugs that awol and crew couldn't have possibly fixed themselves because they didn't know how. Either way I'll be getting banned for this post. I'll just make a new account.

We are still beating that horse. All we have is what is posted in screen shots, other forums, and the few comment's that we are able to read. We have to decide ourselves who we would like to believe. I wish we could reach a common ground and push the mod forward instead of all the bickering.  And Tobias just started this thread to relay some useful info to the dev's. I don't see it at all as brown-nosing. He could get alot of input quickly to relay to the dev's by looking at some of the more widely known issues by clicking a few checkboxes. This thread has derailed from what the OP intended I'm sure. 

I remember in A2 we had Ai that literalaly would flank, some would go left other would go right and it was a challenge, i liked when they did it cause you had to move and position yourself better or else they would surround you and kill you. If we had ai like that in arma 3 i think you would have some better missions to do, ai seem pretty stupid, usually you can walk up behind them with a silenced weapons and kill 80% or more of them. if they actually got up and moved or someone noticed you and would turn would help a lot. 

I remember in A2 we had Ai that literalaly would flank, some would go left other would go right and it was a challenge, i liked when they did it cause you had to move and position yourself better or else they would surround you and kill you. If we had ai like that in arma 3 i think you would have some better missions to do, ai seem pretty stupid, usually you can walk up behind them with a silenced weapons and kill 80% or more of them. if they actually got up and moved or someone noticed you and would turn would help a lot. 

What AI? The AI from the drones? There are so many AI or mission systems across the different servers that spawn AI it is hard to know what AI you are talking about.

Its pretty simple - epoch reflected always the real human behaviour in the game. Peope are egoistic and go for their needs in many ways. Non Commercial restriction - serious how can someone blame a hoster for donation perks etc ? They are needed for compensation, for the time consuming work, for the server bills etc... I never found a good server without Donation perks . cause its a 2 way street.  Anyone who has a store etc - is not to blame - cause these kind of things work out very well for competition between server hosters, which means they develop missions and content to have a edge over other servers- To be more successful = more epoch serves with good quality and better content than others. CCG is the best example - they have the best version of epoch out there ( and i tested all of them)- Allowing that will work out for the product cause competition is always needed.

And tobias - people can actually read a changelog, they actually know if it addresses the issues u have, u ve heard - that latest change is more of a hotfix for the current epoch instead of a update in contents.  Its a bug fix - which is good - does not change the flaws of building (which i mentioned) or anything in the game balancing. Sure game mechanincs are the foundation of game balance - now its a more bugless experience - which doenst help its still not fun.

Mission system is nothing important - server hosters are already pretty awesome in modifieng them. Again the missions i ve played are pretty decent - ist everything around them ( for example the ccg traders are a mayjor step in the right direction) - just by simply redoing what a2 already did nice.

As epoch dev there should be a absolute focus on building content and balancing. Additionally as a second step about non mission ai - cause again they are important for game balancing- Long story short - its their task to balance the foundation of the game- for the time beeing - thats not working out.

Every company has a vision - a direction - and its important to pronounce that ! Just read something about corporate identity - maybe u are able to adapt the reasons behind a vision. I dont know most of the names other people throwing around but  .. it seems these people have knowledge and experience and know what they are doing. People call me childish cause of my initional posts - but i  say whats in my mind and my guts  and in the end i deliver and get the job done in real life. The player base aswell as the major hosters are pissed off  and if Tobias or a mod wont understand that, its ignorance.

Epoch should be a kind of realistic surrounding regarding the immersion (crazy bears instead of non handed sappers, maniacs instead of antagonists) - something understandable. Instead of high tech drones and exploading muations.  The whole zombie conversation is not about zombies - is about what they did and for what they stand for in a2- U dont want or dont have the rights for doing zombs . well do a proper substitute. - have  a sneak peak at 2017 - they ve done substitutes which makes sense and fill the world. 

Anything else is not up to the epoch devs to decide - their job is a building system, loot system for building and the non mission ai (maybe submission aswell). There shouldnt be any focus on anything else like ping guns, ferris wheels, rock monsters, map design and the other useless crap ive seen.  hosters are pretty good at the rest to make themselve stand out. Focus on that and communicate about the things which have to be implented ( most likey u will find help for that aswell). This is not fbi or usa vs. russia secret police. 

I don't need to check my facts, at all. I know fully well most of the details that went on backstage including the discussions that went on between Paul and Dave and his crew. MGT loved trolling Paul (Sequisha) in particular, and Skaronator too particularly in regards about infiSTAR. Not one night would pass when they wouldn't be poking and provoking either of them. That's the key aspect of their community after all. What really made the cup spill over was that epoch devs were checking the official hosts and found out that the entire Epoch-dev team was banned from their server, which is by what time the devs simply got fed up with the whole Chris/Trolling/Getting banned thing and removed MGT as an official host, after which MGT decided now was a good time to start to sell stuff Sequisha has modeled just to further spite him. 

Naturally most of what the public got wind off was the whole shenanigan between Skaronator and infiSTAR's antihacks and who stole what code from whom. To me it never was any shades of grey as Chris basically someone who helped cause the problems from the first getgo, and out of spite for the Epoch dev team made it a part of his antihack that all Epoch devs are banned.

That whole damn drama is/should be past most of us. Personally I'm glad we don't have to deal with them (with the exception of Grim who never was anything but a nice guy to me) anymore. Why the devs don't want to deal with anyone of them anymore is NOT anything that surprises me. 

'most of the details' = not all the details

I've been posting facts and concerns but it doesn't really mater.

if they made fun of people its because they deserved it.  Those two 'devs' are awful to people on the forums, twitch, reddit, twitter, etc.  I've seen it all and its disgusting and Sequisha is a JERK to a lot of people.  Pretty sure AWOL told some of these guys to cool it because you don't see much from them.  It's obvious they're dragging this mods name in the mud.  They get to abuse people all day and when others stand up and dish it back it becomes a ban or removing 'official status' or whatever.  Doesn't matter.

I once played with 10 people at once daily and now they dont even bother because they think the MOD is going in the total wrong direction.  We've parted ways after 2 years of playing together.  Epoch brought us together and it was nice.  Met some great people over time but it's over.

Whatever.. I'm done talking about this.  It's pointless.  I'll keep tabs on things and hope for the best but i'm bowing out.

'most of the details' = not all the details

I've been posting facts and concerns but it doesn't really mater.

if they made fun of people its because they deserved it.  Those two 'devs' are awful to people on the forums, twitch, reddit, twitter, etc.  I've seen it all and its disgusting and Sequisha is a JERK to a lot of people.  Pretty sure AWOL told some of these guys to cool it because you don't see much from them.  It's obvious they're dragging this mods name in the mud.  They get to abuse people all day and when others stand up and dish it back it becomes a ban or removing 'official status' or whatever.  Doesn't matter.

I once played with 10 people at once daily and now they dont even bother because they think the MOD is going in the total wrong direction.  We've parted ways after 2 years of playing together.  Epoch brought us together and it was nice.  Met some great people over time but it's over.

Whatever.. I'm done talking about this.  It's pointless.  I'll keep tabs on things and hope for the best but i'm bowing out.

If you base your friendship over a mod, then you have more serious issues.

If you base your friendship over a mod, then you have more serious issues.

That reply dont make no sense! soz

i have also seen alot of my mates playing less and not seeming interested no more and wanting me to play A2 EPOCH with them, witch i dont want to do.

@Robio , mission ai, usually the mods you download I just notice they are stupid, I know thats not a concern for the devs here as its not theirs. I probably should of brought that up in a different part of these forums. Defintely need some more material for building, I love the aspect of building, one of the things that have attracted me to epoch, A2 the building system seemed pretty spot on, are the devs eventually going to look at being able to build with more objects like sand bags, being able to make fences , could also make the barbed wire, etc?  A lot of people that venture onto the server I help admin in and they are usually people that like to build but it is indeed limited. 

I really do think from Day one the should of ONLY concentrated on the building aspects ! As if im wrong isnt that what Epoch is about "Base building" Im sure the server devs ect would of easily catered well for mission systems and the PvE side of things !  

When anyone coppied dayz mod Everyone was good with that. Now that in A3 someone make something that is practically epoch with additional stuff people just jerking around. There is a way to do things better. let people share fixes and edits to basic mod ( talking about client/server files ). Devs will be able to implement what they actually want. I want to see it open in future instead of using emod to add mas weapons ability to trade ( option to add lootsystem item classes will be good too ). Its kind like apple dumb device that you just have to jailbreak to add/change stuff.. and now everyone sit with their/stolen/recycled code like ducks with eggs waiting for players.. i dont remember this in a2.. people get your shit together and stop blame everyone from stole some code.. it doesnt matter anyway. Look at FuMS AI... that guy "horbin" should make missions for epoch, its awesome just awesome...

@Robio , mission ai, usually the mods you download I just notice they are stupid, I know thats not a concern for the devs here as its not theirs. I probably should of brought that up in a different part of these forums. Defintely need some more material for building, I love the aspect of building, one of the things that have attracted me to epoch, A2 the building system seemed pretty spot on, are the devs eventually going to look at being able to build with more objects like sand bags, being able to make fences , could also make the barbed wire, etc?  A lot of people that venture onto the server I help admin in and they are usually people that like to build but it is indeed limited. 

They mission AI you download has to do with the server owner themselves. They can make them super smart or super dumb or anywhere in between. That's up to the server owner. But I can say that VEMF, SEM, A3AI,and horbins HC  missions on the right settings feel like I am up against experienced A3 players. As for as the AI that the drone spawn, yes they are pretty easy. But you have to understand the logic behind it. If they made them hard to defeat, then people would complain as fresh spawns. As a geared player they are easy to defeat. Behind all the vitriol, they do read the threads. And if you watched Axles stream earlier you would have gotten a better idea of how they take constructive criticism and try to please the masses. As with they were building on the ground without need for foundations, and the new snapping mechanisms AWOL is working on. Axeman is doing the AI and missions and he is here everyday reading the forums. Sequisha and Kiory are also working hard on the antogonist's and models.  Axle is helping weeding out the bugs in the Dev updates, and building the foundation to add some more maps. I just wish that people would give them some more time. It is their free time that they put into this. They have never asked for anything from anyone of us. Let them work.

Whats the road plan ? - was my point of the initional post - cause i cant see any direction everything is heading for ::

1- Anagonists - Whats the sense behind the drone ? Terminator ? And what kind of antagonists, do i have to expect after what i ve seen so far ? Rock monster or new exploding sapper 2.0 or mortal combats fireball thrower ? - vision, vision - what kind of "enemy" they try to achieve ? Whats the substitute for zombs, cause nothing i ve seen so far is believable or makes sense of a postapocalyptic world. 

Building on the ground  - which ground (flat one ?) + wooden floors as pretty easy to destroy - destroy it and crawl trough the gap into the base. = still needs a real foundations, a solid block of stone - which is hard to destroy and allows building at special spots (like tree houses etc)  + stop avoid abusing 3rd person to watch inside the base - and pls no more cube bases, more variety.

New maps ? No need almost every map is already out there.

But most of  all no word, nothing about new building content ? 

So still - like my first post - what the hell are u heading for - whats ur vision ? Would like if somone finally can give a explanation for that. No Priorities- seems like copmplete chaos, while everyone is doing what he wants not was is actually needed. 

Whats the road plan ? - was my point of the initional post - cause i cant see any direction everything is heading for ::

1- Anagonists - Whats the sense behind the drone ? Terminator ? And what kind of antagonists, do i have to expect after what i ve seen so far ? Rock monster or new exploding sapper 2.0 or mortal combats fireball thrower ? - vision, vision - what kind of "enemy" they try to achieve ? Whats the substitute for zombs, cause nothing i ve seen so far is believable or makes sense of a postapocalyptic world. 

Building on the ground  - which ground (flat one ?) + wooden floors as pretty easy to destroy - destroy it and crawl trough the gap into the base. = still needs a real foundations, a solid block of stone - which is hard to destroy and allows building at special spots (like tree houses etc)  + stop avoid abusing 3rd person to watch inside the base - and pls no more cube bases, more variety.

So still - like my first post - what the hell are u heading for - whats ur vision ? Would like if somone finally can give a explanation for that. No Priorities- seems like copmplete chaos, while everyone is doing what he wants not was is actually needed. 

I think the better question is. What would make those antagonists be the way they are. As for the story line of Epoch, it hasn't quite been told and will be told within the game.

I think if you are looking for those types of answers, you should check back in a year from now "or sooner" and you will be able to find out.

I think you guys keep putting aside that we are merely 30% into the Alpha and still haven't even hit beta/live. We do read these threads and I know it can seem like we only pay attention to the ones causing issue. But we see so much more and talk about everyone's feedback quite often. 

So please, keep the feedback coming and keep it constructive.

I think the better question is. What would make those antagonists be the way they are. As for the story line of Epoch, it hasn't quite been told and will be told within the game.

I think if you are looking for those types of answers, you should check back in a year from now "or sooner" and you will be able to find out.

I think you guys keep putting aside that we are merely 30% into the Alpha and still haven't even hit beta/live. We do read these threads and I know it can seem like we only pay attention to the ones causing issue. But we see so much more and talk about everyone's feedback quite often. 

So please, keep the feedback coming and keep it constructive.

I like that idea of the back story actually being developed only in-game. Without some simple back story plastered on the main page that you think you need to adhere to move forward. Not answering the question, but replying with another kinda makes sense. You know to just keep the suspense. Sounds redundant, but if done right could change everything in how we perceive Epoch and the mods progression. 

Not answering the question, but replying with another kinda makes sense. You know to just keep the suspense.

Kinda like Lost! Smoke monster, ¡Ay, caramba!

Dunno, I mean there are things I want to change, things that need to be added, and I get bored of it here and there. But, again(and again(and again)) it's: in alpha. So, I go play something else and eventually come back, either to check out the progress or because I'm going through withdrawal. I don't uh.. get angry, like that kid in the super market screaming bloody murder because he wants a toy and everyone else wants to punch him in the face.

Road plan? That's the beauty of developing your own mod. There is a road, but it can fork in many different directions for the better or the worse. Only time will tell. Either you can wait it out and support it or move along to something else. That is totally up to you.

Antagonists you said.They thing about the antogonists is that they have moved beyond zombies. Now the "zombies" have a little more punch other then:

0GYsY.jpg?psid=1

I really don't care if I ever see a zombie again. The new antogonists are a welcome change. Yes, I do like the occasional swarm, it does keep you on your toes. But having them explode and leak gas, sap your energy is way more then any zombie ever did in A2. I'm not a big fan of the Rock-Monster, but watching it in twitch crushing buildings as it was stomping around while chasing the guy shooting at it was pretty amazing. Even though I wasn't in game, it felt like a real threat.

You stated that foundations were pointless because you could go underneath them. Well, now you can build them flat on the ground. Yes, FLAT ground. They simply cant build a model for every change in elevation on a map. Because then we have floating bases again. But I do agree another type of floor would be a welcome change. And the beauty with the physics engine in building you can make any type of roof you want. I've seen some pretty amazing bases that totally surpass what was available in A2 with Vector building. You  don't have to build a cube base, thats the thing you can shape it anyway you want. Yes, you may have to get a little creative, but it can be done.

No New Maps?? Every map is out there??? Hardly, maps take a really long time to develop, and I commend every map/terrain builder that tries. Trying to get into terrain/map developing myself, it is hard work and very time consuming. You just have to take time to look them up and try them. With the update tools for A3, hopefully we see a bunch more maps down the road. But as I have learned map making can take years to make a worthwile map. But thankfully there are those that take the time to do it. And many of our community has jumped in head first.

Whats the vision?? Well that is for the dev's to develop as time goes on. Remember it is their vision. Not ours. Yes they like constructive feedback. But they are just a couple of guys building a mod that they would like to play. And in the midst of it all trying to appease the masses.

Its not about a story line - its about a vision. Everything in this world was first a vision- u will go left and right and sometimes back - till u finally reached something u will be satisfied with - but u had a focus.

If u have nothing to aim at ... it will be a endless brainstorm without resulting in a real concept. Its like cooking a soup and throw everything in it, cause u dont have some kind of recipe of ingrediants. The result is something - but  without massive luck - not really tasty.  At least i am choking about it at the moment.

All started with someone had a zombiegame survival vision, had  a vision of construct buildings (safehouses) etc etc etc.. the story developed in the game but - everything had a clear concept. So adding these elements was like good spices for a delicious meal with some nice desserts. It fits in - and even with all the bugs, some made the game unplayable in the beginnig of dayz - it was ok for everyone - cause it felt right and the vision was clear for everyone (also the benefits). The development of 2017 is similiar and its not even reached alpha. but i know for sure , the way these guys hande the thing - is with a clear vision what kind of mod they want to make. Everythig fits in.

It gives me a kind of feeling what everything is about - the things u have done so far- dont fit in. Ferris wheels, rock monste and abusrd antogonists -- serious Dudes dont give me the "its alpha" ride for this, or the wait for a year... u throw thing in and out without haveing a concept or recipe. Cause chocolate and meatballs dont have a harmony together, even i like to eat both on their own.  The development and the structure of ur work will be more efficient if u know what u want to achieve and what kind of environment for players u want to create. Like a view from above the details - which u are missing at the moment. 

Make sense of the story and u will see, that u will develop faster and in the right directions. With better antogonist who fit in the surrounding with more balanced ways.  The basic of  the epoch mod by its name - is base building - it should be ur absolut focus. U were able to create a ferris wheel and rock monster ... dudes if u had a direction or a concept what u  want - the time wasted for these thing could have been put to amazing elements in the game. 

I have to say it. since the first alpha of this game- nothing and i mean it - changed since that time.... and there has passed a lot of time. U are talkin about 30 % of the progress and i think to myself - what kind of progress - cause its undeniable that u dont have a clue whats 100 %. So pls stop these kind of alpha or not finishes stuff from now on ! Its just annoying  - there is a epoch mod, with features - so dont say its 30 %  - cause its actually 100 % out there. Its 100 % what i play and to endure while u hide behind ur 30 % of "something".

U need structure and coordination and u fail to deliver the things- which most needed at the moment to make ur 30 % which are my 100 % - playable. In the meantime and i swear to u 2017 will crush ur mod to pieces if it will go into alpha in this year - other mod devs wont stand still and progress much faster - cause they have a concept and dont lose themselves in useless projects. 

Look at the servers who have epoch as a mod - look at ur official server- thats horrible. Its not caused of the danger of a wipe- it is cause by people who find a substitute for epoch or going back to a2epoch- Just ask them, ask the player base the will tell u the same.  So pls get ur story straigt and put elements and basic game mechinics into ur mod which will provide playable content. The brainstorm hast to be over -- time to deliver. If u waste more time -thats it for ur mod.

@Bacinder

Not going to quote your whole post. But I did read your post. The thing is that your vision of the mod in how it is heading is simply not the devs vision. If you don't like the way it's heading then you have to make the choice if you wish to follow along. We all have to deal with that. And they never promised anything. Everyone has a preconceived notion that this is based off A2 Epoch. It's not. We are in a whole new ballpark. They wanted to go a different direction. They did. They took a risk and they are going forward with it. They have structure and coordination. They may not share it so much anymore because the backlash they have gotten in the past. I, honestly don't blame them for keeping it under raps. They are simple, family guys that like what they are building Epoch into. They could close the forums and build the mod internally amongst themselves and not release anything. But yet they read the forums and take all the criticism, hate, bashing and what not and still move forward. 

@Bacinder

Not going to quote your whole post. But I did read your post. The thing is that your vision of the mod in how it is heading is simply not the devs vision. If you don't like the way it's heading then you have to make the choice if you wish to follow along. We all have to deal with that. And they never promised anything. Everyone has a preconceived notion that this is based off A2 Epoch. It's not. We are in a whole new ballpark. They wanted to go a different direction. They did. They took a risk and they are going forward with it. They have structure and coordination. They may not share it so much anymore because the backlash they have gotten in the past. I, honestly don't blame them for keeping it under raps. They are simple, family guys that like what they are building Epoch into. They could close the forums and build the mod internally amongst themselves and not release anything. But yet they read the forums and take all the criticism, hate, bashing and what not and still move forward. 

Whats the moddevs vision ?

I dont have any vision in mind for the epoch mod - i just had the hopes of a better version of arma2 epoch as i heard of epoch for arma3. But I just dont know which kind of direction this wents at all and i wouldnt  see it as a risk to something different than epocha2 - i would call that not so intelligent - cause everyone was looking out for that. And if u go against all odds - dont wonder about the response. Anyways its not my real problem that u want to have a different approach - i just cant feel any kind of concept behind "the mod u do" und dont get a real answer for this - on the whole website- nor in the game.

So dont talk about my concept or my expectation - there were many chances to win me over - i just dont see where this goes at all.   All of this Sounds more like a cheap excuse for me - and why u even called it epoch, i dont call my pizza  - coca cola - even familiy fathers etc will get measured and if u want it or not - u used the name epoch and u will be measured with the precvious epoch and its content. 

So dont be the politician - whats

- the concept or how u call it  "different direction and new ballpark" - cant be that this is a so amazing secrect no one else should know, what u have in mind for the future.

So what is a3 epoch aiming at - what kind of mod will this be if its finished ?

Honestly i would be suprised if anyone of the official can give me a answer on a simple question.

Edit: I really fucked this post up :) .. edited it  a while