Possibility of enjoyable Arma 2-like base building?

Somename

109 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like an Arma 2-like base building system?

• Yes, I am a sensible human being.
    • No. Ur just noob xD, this is realism(trademark) xDDD

90% of Epoch players like the older system better. I am curious, why don't people change it back to what it used to be?

Maybe because this isn't Dayz Epoch. It's Arma 3 Epoch. New game. New way of doing things. Perhaps you could post what you don't like about the building system in the Feedback forum and provide some constructive ideas. Oh, and how did you get that 90%? I don't recall being included in that highly scientific study.

i honestly like both , i'll prefer arma 2's system for militarized type servers (when server customization is available) mainly because we are building compounds not base's on those sort of servers,
and i like physxs i believe it has a way to go in the mod as at the moment it dose make building a tad stupid (wall half in another wall = physics tornado ) but its alpha still.
would be good if servers could set what part's were effected , hell im looking forward to the real hard core servers turn on physics on all buildabals during earth quakes(fuck your server fps event) and such.

I would prefer a system that is somehow between these two systems.

My biggest problem is not being able to intersect with other geometry, i like to build in interesting places, not flat surfaces. And building on anything but flat or foundation is a royal pain in the buttocks.

Somekind of system that would not allow floating structures (which the current one still does, make a foundation + floor + place item + remove foundation) and still enables you to intersect walls slightly into rocks / building walls etc

• 3 weeks later...

What a mature poll.

The only things I would suggest to possibly bring into A3E would be:

More building object such as:

Support walls, (So you can have an open area and not rely on stud walls to hold up walls when used a ceilings)

Different sizes of wood walls with/without windows

Metal floors.

As well I would love to see Snap Building Pro incorporated in hopes that items would properly meld together and/or line up.  

The current system is ok and is doing fine but it can sure be improved on.

I have to laugh at the physx thing.. 

A while ago I laid some foundations and put wood floors on them and then I removed the foundations.  To this day the wood floors are still floating in air. So much for physx.

I like this system, my only grip is using foundation to build if you want flat outer walls, what I would like to see is that if a player has an entrenching tool and a cement mixer (both I know would need adding) in your inventory you can (only only then) bury walls into the ground (i.e. send them down past the 0 height elevation into a negative number where physics didn't apply until it was built ). you can then put your internal base on foundations if you wanted to.

That way we can have our walls at the very bottom and level instead of the foundation forcing us up so players can hide (waiting for us to come home) and glitch under the floor. also means the people with OCD who in a post apocalyptic world would still build their base/home with pinpoint accuracy! lol

I think that's a more realistic way of doing it than just putting ArmA2 in where people build sky bases for crying out loud!

physx kills the player's creativity.  :P

Arma 2 building system is more efficient and fast.

All base in A3 Epoch (that i saw) are similar to big shed, i don't like it :\

I tend to agree, I really wish they would reuse the arma 2 method, it was MUCH more enjoyable. The physx just don't work... especially with bases being destructible. It means you have to take everything apart to get it back together straight if you lose part of your base. That and the peices don't all align right, it ends up making huge gaps and such if you do anything more then small buildings. I can prove it, I have tested it time and time again on my server. I also have a piece of wall 200 meters in the air stuck there because the "realistic" physics threw it up so high that it only made it that far back down before setting.

I'd like to see the ability to have fine adjustment in height for foundations.  I was building this morning and made a foundation since I was building on uneven ground.  Went to place another foundation next to it to expand the overall size of the building and couldn't get the height just right to match the first one.  Ended up being off by a couple inches.  It works ok, but my OCD was screaming.  lol

I'd like to see the ability to have fine adjustment in height for foundations.  I was building this morning and made a foundation since I was building on uneven ground.  Went to place another foundation next to it to expand the overall size of the building and couldn't get the height just right to match the first one.  Ended up being off by a couple inches.  It works ok, but my OCD was screaming.  lol

I agree, I like to line everything up as perfectly as I can when base building...it's virtually impossible in some cases right now. 

I had my first experience with building today. I like that you can put a structure up fast with the snap building. On the other hand there isn't too much freedom with it. In ArmA 2 Epoch if I put a small structure up in a hurry it was not perfect and square. But I had the freedom to cover a gap simply by using another wall or floor/ceiling. With this when you have gaps you have to live with it as far as I can tell. I play on Epoch servers now with snap building, but you can toggle it on or off. That is probably the best solution.

I know A3 Epoch is an alpha and it is early on, but a few other items like a ladder or small stairs would help. The only way I could get into my finished building (due to height from the ground) was to try an add a floor like a doorstep. That is hap hazard at best because you don't know how it will look until it settles. It may work and it may not.

I agree that we need to be able to craft larger sections to make hangar type buildings, like maybe a 3 wall long support beam out of a lot of wood or metal. The physx is fine it's just a bit quirky and the physics is shit, not realistic at all.

My biggest gripe with the whole system is the gaps, the wall models are actually too short, if you build a snapped floor on snapped foundations and snap walls in you'll have huge gaps. Just two minutes of testing on a test server would have shown this flaw so I really don't get how it wasn't fixed before it even made it onto a live server.

Then there's the inability to remove anything you've placed, move shelves, shit like that. Small but annoying.

The biggest problems I see with this mod so far is it's missing a project manager, project plan and any form of actual QA. It might just be my opinion but I'd really like to see the building system fully fleshed out before any other content is worked on. Random server events can wait, most admins have already thrown missions in anyway.

I don't understand this topic, why not both? They just need to implement a build mode for non physics based building. Then you can choose to either build with, or without physics.

• 3 weeks later...

The new Building System is just useless crap. It's ok for students to playing around, how Walls falling und can affect a humans Life.

Have Fun with construct Buildings looks for me different, example like in Arma 2, it was much better in any Aspect.

The so called Gap Problem in Arma 2 at the End was eliminated. Only over/near Sea and Ponds the Floors and Walls started

to make Gaps a little bit after server restart. At the End building in Arma2 Epoch with Snap Build was easy going fun to play.

Old but true : Never change a running System! (Snap Build Arma2)

@Havoc302

i agree

@DarkSideSixOfficial

PhysX is just Playing Around with Walls and how they react.

It doesn't bring any positive need to Build Aspect to me.

Just eliminate the new System and take back the Old one!

Greets Doc imho

Realism?? -- bullsh!t, the new building system is a pain - i don't think it's realism for a wall or floor you are trying to set flipping in a full arc and launching you into the air, or a wall you are trying to rotate slamming you into another wall and squashing you.

And the fact that you can remove any supporting wall or foundation once a floor or level is set is ridiculous anyway. It was way better to be able to set walls into the ground and existing structures, it's a game, not real life and nothing is going to make it real, keep it fun so players can build however they want.

Every server seems to be kill on site right now, so why not give players some fun in between all the unreasonable slaughter, haha. And no, i'm not a noob and yes I have played Arma from the very beginning -- if it aint broke, don't try and fix it!!

Realism?? -- bullsh!t, the new building system is a pain - i don't think it's realism for a wall or floor you are trying to set flipping in a full arc and launching you into the air, or a wall you are trying to rotate slamming you into another wall and squashing you.

And the fact that you can remove any supporting wall or foundation once a floor or level is set is ridiculous anyway. It was way better to be able to set walls into the ground and existing structures, it's a game, not real life and nothing is going to make it real, keep it fun so players can build however they want.

Every server seems to be kill on site right now, so why not give players some fun in between all the unreasonable slaughter, haha. And no, i'm not a noob and yes I have played Arma from the very beginning -- if it aint broke, don't try and fix it!!

Yes The New building system is a huge pain i love how much effort they put into it but if we could just remove the Physics part so when u place a floor next to another it dosnt spaz out and u can line everything up in 20 mins instead of 4 hours manually placing every thing... Also Maybe the Addition of the arma 2 stuff as well mixed in would make a lovely addon .. also would love the Armoured SUV and other cool cars from Arma 2 Epoch mod to be added to make things awesome. but this is my opinion. yeah wish they kept the arma 2 building .. or maybe if them made a addon to your server like @A2Building and have it load ontop who knows.

A few points.

1.  If you prefer Arma II, go back to it.  Nobody is forcing you to play Arma 3.

2.  As somebody said before, this is Arma 3 Epoch, not Arma 2 DayZ Epoch.  The mod evolved along with the original game.  What's the point in a new start if it's all the same exact thing?

Lastly, this is just my theory/opinion.

3.  I assume most of you started this "genre" with the mod on Arma 2.  I can assure you from a very long time gaming that nothing will come close to your experience playing the Arma 2 mod.  The first is special because it's the first.  I've played many game franchises, some of which are dead now, and know first hand and through watching the communities of those franchises, that no matter what they do with A3 Epoch, IT WILL NOT come close to your memories of A2 Epoch. 

TLDR;  Make new memories in a new game or go back to the old.

P.S.  Don't get me wrong, I started off with Arma 2 Overpoch and have lots of wonderful memories of it, but Arma 3 Epoch is a nice change of pace. 

P.P.S.  With the current building system that "takes forever" to build, some servers are still at world limit and it's impossible to build on them.  You add the "faster, more efficient" building of Arma 2, with the inevitable indestructability, and only the large groups will have bases because they'll be the first to build, and build big.