Gamespy is shutting down the end of May

Maybe a bit closer to launch there could be a little sticky popped up on the forums here with any vital info for server owners & clients on what server owners/clients need to be aware of to make sure of a smooth transition?

I'd be happy to link to such a post from my forums etc and I'm sure other small gaming communities like mine would too :)

The problem is that BI has already said that while those without OA on Steam will be able to continue to play, the updates will only be available via Steam.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?176426-ARMA-2-OA-Beta-build-116523-Steam-Mp-Lobby-%281-63-build-Steam-only%29

VBAWOL - this is great news :)

The post below made me spontaneously break into a donation, lol. Not a lot, but I guess every bit helps.

116523+ 1.63 patch has Steam lobby support and 1.0.5 is being testing on the 116523+ builds. Many fixes have already gone into 1.0.5 just for these newer builds.

Just talked to DotJosh and he is going to update commander to support the new steam lobby as soon as BI fully releases 1.63 and steam lobby. He also mentioned that he has a backup list of server IP:ports just in-case.

Not to worry, we are looking out for you and DayZ Epoch has support for the foreseeable future.

• 3 weeks later...

Couldnt we just write a webAPI (.NET or PHP) where the servers report to? And then change reportIP in the config.

Im gonna register tonight ( after work) what the server actually reports to the gamespy link and I could write a webAPI that converts that data ( prob a json or xml object) put it in a database ( linked maybe with a  visual website for manual searching).. Then build my webAPI so external programs like commander can ask data from it.

The only problem i can see is an overload of data send to the webAPI. What's the estimate total servers atm?

Couldnt we just write a webAPI (.NET or PHP) where the servers report to? And then change reportIP in the config.

Im gonna register tonight ( after work) what the server actually reports to the gamespy link and I could write a webAPI that converts that data ( prob a json or xml object) put it in a database ( linked maybe with a  visual website for manual searching).. Then build my webAPI so external programs like commander can ask data from it.

The only problem i can see is an overload of data send to the webAPI. What's the estimate total servers atm?

Don't need to. The guy that made DayzCommander has said he will have something in place so we can continue to use it to find servers. We're just waiting to see what that is.

over 4300 i believe

The patch that makes ARMA compatible with Steam also comes with some severe side-effects, just like that one.

So yeah, pretty relevant.

No, way off topic. The OP asks what the shutdown of GameSpy means for DayzCommander, not what effect the next patch has on Epoch... still waiting to hear if anyone knows what DayzCommander is doing. Supposedly DotJosh has a fix that will use Steam to get server lists. Curious to know what is happening with it.

I would love to hear something for the epoch team. To make use of the Stream server browser, the clients have to update Arma which makes Arma incompatible with Epoch. So Epoch needs an update. They said that they are working on it and since there was no recent update on the git, it seems that they are done with that. Question is, are they done and when will 1.0.5. get released? Will it work with the latest beta patch or is there one more to come from BI? Questions over questions :D

It was also mentioned that the DayzCommander uses an offline archive serverlist, if shit hits the fan. So dont worry, you will be able to connect via DayzCommander until he sorted is stuff out. At least all the known and listed servers will stay listed.

I also wanna see all the people that just installed scripts from a tutorial on pre-installed Epoch server. We will see a lot of servers with a lot of random bugs since these guys don't know how to code and fix their upcoming issues. Will be fun. :D

So, here we are. Tomorrow is the day. Has anyone heard from DotJosh about DayzCommander? Will it stop working after tomorrow?

Does he/do they even have forums or a way of contacting him/them?  The only thing I remember seeing on the site is a download button. >_>

Got a question. With the shutdown does this mean no one will be able to join servers anymore. Just asking because just started hosting my own Epoch server and my users would cry lol

You should look into it more.  Worst case senario, they'll be able to connect through the OA multiplayer using the IP, I believe.  As you can see above, we're waiting on word about wtf DayZ Commander is doing.  You may want to talk to anyone who didn't buy Arma through Steam, as they'll have to enter their key through Steam.  Directions are on the BI website.

Attention: People who have a non-Steam version of Arma 2, and/or the Arma 2 expansions and DLC, can now activate their product key(s) on Steam. Please note that all future updates for the game will be delivered through Steam only.

http://www.arma2.com/

Heard it was extended to the end of June. Just saying, rumors.

Heard or read? =P  Some official sources would be nice.  Seems that those who actually know wtf is going on don't care to elaborate to the thousands that it will effect.

We all need to be on 116523+ for steamworks support everyone will need to switch sooner or later. It is uncertain how much longer Gamespy will stay up. DotJosh has already told me that he will add steamworks lobby support and even has backup server lists.

The newer builds add extra error reporting that did not exist before. For now I would suggest updating to 112555 so that you can find any issues with custom code. 1.0.5 has been tested with 116523+ so any issues with dayz epoch base code should be fixed by the time we release here soon.