Free items from traders

Graver

Question

Hey there! I have been trying to figure out if there is any way to make it so there where items on my traders that had no cost.  I have tried to just remove the item from the buy column and have also attempted setting the required to 0.  both of these failed me and now I'm stuck and looking to you lovely people for help =D

Any ideas or solutions are really appreciated!

5 answers to this question

I have a large ammo crate at each trader station that is used by players to dump stuff they don't want (until restart, when its all refreshed again). I also have a script that runs which places random amounts of items at each server startup , like tins of food and drink, nvgs (rare) and so on.  If you want to give away free gear, that's the way to do it.  Saves having to wait around for purchase animations to finish too :)

Hayward:  That's basically what I ended up doing but with a slight twist. What I ended up doing was setting up a box that responds its contents every five minutes with 30 of a random item in it (something with no value in the game) I then set up a custom trader menu filled with items that only cost one of those random items.

Thanks for the reply!

Hayward:  That's basically what I ended up doing but with a slight twist. What I ended up doing was setting up a box that responds its contents every five minutes with 30 of a random item in it (something with no value in the game) I then set up a custom trader menu filled with items that only cost one of those random items.

Thanks for the reply!

haha that's a solution.. :D

I took a look at the trader scripts, you cant set the qty to 0 unfortunately, that will just produce division by 0 errors i belive! :D

You can of course change the trader scripts so you can have free items, but at my first look that seems to be some work.. :/

Axe Cop: Thanks for looking!  I implemented my work around for the time being.  I'm looking at editing those scripts to make the items free because I have a vision for it that just does not feel right the way it is haha!We are trying to create sort of a United Nations base camp, and the idea I had was to have really high humanity players we were thinking over 9000... Spawn with a specific item (dogtags) that as long as they had in their inventory would allow them to get free ammunition from a trader. As a sort of perk for being a superhero. I guess we could set up some sort of looping script that would run a check on high humanity players if X item was in their inventory if not add item to inventory. I don't know sort of thinking out loud now...

Anyway thanks again for taking look for me!

Thanks for the reply!

Why not just fill it with toilet paper and have the free items cost toilet paper :) 

Then no need to run a script every so many minute or so, just run it once at start up.  

Good solution though, glad its working for you now :)