[SOLVED] Adding an image to a Flag

Thug

Question

[SOLVED]

Can someone PLEASE tell me what is wrong with the following. All I see is the flag pole. :huh:
I get this warning in the RPT:   Warning Message: Cannot load texture mpmissions\dayz_epoch_17.chernarus\flag.jpg.
I have my picture in the root of the mission side. its call flag.jpg.  its 512x256.

The following is my script, it is called flag.sqf and it is located in the mission side at  signs_flags\flag.sqf

if (isServer) then {

_vehicle_4 = objNull;
if (true) then
{
  _this = createVehicle ["FlagCarrierWhite_EP1", [6354.6543, 7792.2114, -0.00012207031], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
  _vehicle_4 = _this;
  _this setDir 127.06387;
  _this setPos [6354.6543, 7792.2114, -0.00012207031];
  _this setFlagTexture 'flag.jpg';
};
};

I call the above from the init.sqf
 []execVM "signs_flags\flag.sqf";
Edited by Thug
[SOLVED]

Would you be will to send me the image you used so i could check to see if thats the problem?  if so [email protected]

I tried a 200x200 and still get the error

my picture was originally 1600x1200 i think, its nothing special and you can have it if you like, but perhaps your problem lies with the picture editor you use.

idk what software you use, but personally i use gimp.

it is free and it has worked for me every time so far.

Because somestimes files won't load, if in root directory.

never heard of that before ...

Thug just a smal question:

Is the Image File actually in your Root Directory of the Mission Folder or is it in another Folder?

Folder

my picture was originally 1600x1200 i think, its nothing special and you can have it if you like, but perhaps your problem lies with the picture editor you use.

I use Photoshop 6, I have no problem with the signs, the pictures I use work on first try. Its just the Flags. Yes i would like to try is out, Thank you.    [email protected]

Ok I used your flag and still  Warning Message: Cannot load texture mpmissions\dayz_epoch_17.chernarus\dkflagpole.jpg.

I will try it in a folder, i will try it on a bike, i will try it with a kite.   lol at this point i will try almost any thing.  

i never messed around that much with setting any kind of texture, only thing i can tell you here is that you are setting the texture in the isServer Section.

The Flag which is shwoing my Server logo is spawned client sided (check the Code). Means the set texture command needs to be local?

Maybe i will mess around with this in the near future, but for now only thing i have found that the object needs to be client sided

i never messed around that much with setting any kind of texture, only thing i can tell you here is that you are setting the texture in the isServer Section.

The Flag which is shwoing my Server logo is spawned client sided (check the Code). Means the set texture command needs to be local?

Maybe i will mess around with this in the near future, but for now only thing i have found that the object needs to be client sided

Thank you for the reply.

Where you say: you are setting the texture in the isServer Section. Are you talking about the init.sqf?

The object you talk about is the Picture? 

Ok I used your flag and still  Warning Message: Cannot load texture mpmissions\dayz_epoch_17.chernarus\dkflagpole.jpg.

I will try it in a folder, i will try it on a bike, i will try it with a kite.   lol at this point i will try almost any thing.  

not sure what you are doing wrong here, i think you are missing something simple somewhere, but i cant really pinpoint it and its hard to know what you are actually doing  ... had this been in arma 3 i would have said its most likely cause you are blocking the extension, but this is arma 2 section so i guess thats not the problem ...

not sure what you are doing wrong here, i think you are missing something simple somewhere, but i cant really pinpoint it and its hard to know what you are actually doing  ... had this been in arma 3 i would have said its most likely cause you are blocking the extension, but this is arma 2 section so i guess thats not the problem ...

thank you anyhow

Thug

If you have (and i'm talking about anyone) a working flag script. Can you post the hole flag script, that includes telling me EXACTLY where you put all the files, if its server side or mission side. What folders they go in.  What the name of the folders are. Including the picture size (200x200, 256x256 and i.e. 20kb)  you used and location where you put the picture (root of mission side or in folder). Please DO NOT ASSUME I KNOW ANYTHING,sorry for caps Im not yelling. I know enough to keep 7 servers running and to let this script just get to me. I know it works, heck I,ve seen it before on other servers and some of you that have posted have it working.
OK I will say it, I need someone to hold my hand on this one so I can move on. lol
I have tried to piece together all the information above and i cant get it to work.

Also thanks to the many replys you guys/gals have posted, this is what I like about this forum.

Thug :wacko:

p.s.
Please do not think I have not tried to work with this script, I have spent countless attempts to get it to work. 
Thank you

lots of people already posted scripts or snipets you can use ...

this means its in root folder of your mission.pbo (along side with the init.sqf, mission.sqm and description.ext):

"picture.jpg"

if you put it in a folder of your mission, it will then be:

"myfolder\picture.jpg"

the picture HAVE to be in the mission so every client downloads it or it will not work, it does not matter where in your mission.pbo it is, it is also irrelevant to execute on all client as the command is mp compatible.

there is something i'm overlooking here too.

I have the same problem here, if i spawn the flag local on each client everything is fine, but as soon as i spawn it only via server it can not load in the texture for some reason. I've seen other doing it the exact same way, but for any reason its not working this way here =/

I will see whats causing this problem and check for anything related to this :)

lots of people already posted scripts or snipets you can use ...

this means its in root folder of your mission.pbo (along side with the init.sqf, mission.sqm and description.ext):

"picture.jpg"

if you put it in a folder of your mission, it will then be:

"myfolder\picture.jpg"

the picture HAVE to be in the mission so every client downloads it or it will not work, it does not matter where in your mission.pbo it is, it is also irrelevant to execute on all client as the command is mp compatible.

I got it that the picture has to be on mission  side root and that is where i put  it, right above the init.sqf     On the server side where does the flag.sqf need to be, in what folder? Do i put []execVM "\z\addons\dayz_server\addons\flag.sqf"; in the server_functions.sqf file? because that is where i have it. the file is in a folder named addons in the root of the server side pbo.

this is the script that I am trying now flag.sqf even with your flag it will not work.

if (isServer) then {
  _vehicle_1 = objNull;
if (true) then
{
  _this = createVehicle ["FlagCarrierWhite_EP1", [13348.2,12058.2,0.00151825], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
  _vehicle_1 = _this;
  _this setDir -90.00;
   _this setFlagTexture 'flag.jpg';
  _this setPos [13348.2,12058.2,0.00151825];

};

};

I have the same problem here, if i spawn the flag local on each client everything is fine, but as soon as i spawn it only via server it can not load in the texture for some reason. I've seen other doing it the exact same way, but for any reason its not working this way here =/

thank you,

Just ignore, that i already explained the reason, why. Burried under those answers

ok i found whats causing this problem :)

to get this done you will have to put your mission in a .pbo!

The reason is simple: If its not packed and a texture is set through the server the client will search in MPMission\DayZ_Epoch_XX.Worldname\Folder but you dont have that in your arma folder, so it can not load in the texture!

So just pack that thing and use a pbo ;)

ok i found whats causing this problem :)

to get this done you will have to put your mission in a .pbo!

The reason is simple: If its not packed and a texture is set through the server the client will search in MPMission\DayZ_Epoch_XX.Worldname\Folder but you dont have that in your arma folder, so it can not load in the texture!

So just pack that thing and use a pbo ;)

on my chernarus map which I have on my home server and the one online, Both server side and mission side run off  PBOs

Thug just a smal question:

Is the Image File actually in your Root Directory of the Mission Folder or is it in another Folder?

just getting back with update, I have tried in root and folder

Hi,

Just a smal addition:

In the BI Page it is saying, that jpg can be used but this is only partly correct, as server side jpg files are not passed to the client.

The client downloads the mission folder only, so executing this on server would cause the issue that you are getting, as the texture can not be downloaded.

Ofc schwedes way is a fix for that, but you can allways define the image in your description.ext, which will in return allow you to set the object texture server sided, without the need of counting all flags + you then can have individual flags.

I'm on my phone atm, but schwede is a good scripter, im sure if he quickly reads in to that he could provide an example.

you said: you can always define the image in your description.ext, can you please show me an example? I am going back through all the post now and for each person that post, I am trying their post. Hopefully I get this right.

There is a second question: I have noticed that for example when you look at some of the post in this line: _this SetFlagTexture "flags\ch.jpg"; they us "  "; and in _this SetFlagTexture 'flags\ch.jpg'; they use '  '; which is right. I have tried both with no luck. 

after i packed everything into a pbo the flags worked just fine and since you get the exact same rror i would guess its loading (for any reason) from an folder and not an pbo

if you navigate to

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\MPMissionsCache

and check if your mission is called: 

__cur_mp.pbo

If so, this means its loading from a folder and not a pbo.

after i packed everything into a pbo the flags worked just fine and since you get the exact same rror i would guess its loading (for any reason) from an folder and not an pbo

if you navigate to

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\MPMissionsCache

and check if your mission is called: 

__cur_mp.pbo

If so, this means its loading from a folder and not a pbo.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27826044/pbo%20list.PNG

the above is what is in my C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\MPMissionsCache folder

@theduke @Thug

1-at bottom of server_functions.sqf

call compile preProcessFileLineNumbers "z\addons\dayz_server\init\flag.sqf";

2-into dayz_server.pbo\init\  create flag.sqf

Spoiler

_pos = [3414.6799, 3942.7075, 3.0517578e-005];//put your own coord
_flag = "FlagCarrierCDF" createVehicle _pos;
_flag setFlagTexture "scripts\flag.jpg";

3-create the flag.jpg  into mpmissions\your instance\scripts\

4-repack dayz_server.pbo  and VERY IMPORTANT  also pack your instance.pbo

Arm_A2_OA_2017-06-24_21-41-08-35.jpg

By myself I´m using this, called flag.sqf:

Spoiler

if (isServer) then {
    // 1
    _vehicle_484 = objNull;
    if (true) then
    {
        _this = createVehicle ["FlagPole_EP1", [11852.1,12619.7,0.00143433], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
        _vehicle_484 = _this;
        _this setDir 23.9736;
        _this setPos [4581.11,7590.37,0.00143886];
        _this setFlagTexture 'textures\flag.paa';
    };
    // 2
    _vehicle_484 = objNull;
    if (true) then
    {
        _this = createVehicle ["FlagPole_EP1", [11852.1,12619.7,0.00143433], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
        _vehicle_484 = _this;
        _this setDir 23.9736;
        _this setPos [4575.45,7589.93,0.00143886];
        _this setFlagTexture 'textures\flag.paa';
    };
};

As you see, I converted my image to an .paa

This works perfect for me.