The Phantom

Flybynight

I believe I have had my first encounter with this creature.  Very well done and actually creepy.  I was inside my base and heard loud footsteps.  Then I noticed the screen blurring in certain areas as if something was moving around.  Then a door to one of the buildings opens by itself and later closes with more footsteps and blurred screen motions. 

The only odd thing was one of the admins popped into my base and swears he couldn't see or hear anything.  To him, doors remained shut and never opened. Either way, this is an excellent new beast to add into the mix.  Well done!

First time I encountered this, my friend and I dumped half a mag at it and then he launched a .40mm grenade into the barn we encountered it.  Had no clue WTF we ran into until the next day when I did a goggle search.  

Ok, so I found out my server admin thought it would be funny to spawn one and not tell me about it, and then claim he couldn't see or hear anything.  Funny guy.  So all is working well based on my encounter and it really did spook me. 

Looking forward to more and more antagonists.  Great job.

My favorite would have to be Cultist, he is creepy mysterious character, mythical just like zombies were in A2, they have some cult and mythical stories .

I have not encountered the Phantom yet, is he invisible? what does he do? or look like?

I asked in previous posts for more creepy rather than in your face kind of danger , sounds like this is it ...

Cultist being the only one I see fits this, i wish for something on those lines ..... ghosts, demons would be much better fit to epoch :D

Four legged demon that shows at dark hours :D

I really need to learn how to upload images to posts !!

I have not encountered the Phantom yet, is he invisible? what does he do? or look like?

There are some other youtube videos but this one has a pretty clear image of the effect and you can hear random noises it usually creates as it moves around.  Not sure if it does anything yet, seems passive and when I shot at the one I encountered I didn't notice it having any effect.  I didn't stick around long enough to see if it could attack me.

I would really like the phantom to have some spooky whispering sound.

I do like the idea of the sound of this phantom.  I question it's purpose other than it's just there to scare players.

Personally, I think it should sound more like a player's movements, the current sound byte is very obvious.  The first time I heard it my immediate response was "... ah, they must have added some sound byte, probably something to go along with the whole horror feel" but I didn't see anything and figured it was simply a sound to keep us wondering.  I just started ignoring it after that since nothing ever happened.  If it sounded like a player scuffling around, I'd definitely be jumping every time.  Even if it was just a little closer to the sound a player would make, the current sound is too loud and obvious.  I think you guys are on the right track with this though. =]

This is what Epoch should be about. No base raiding, but fricking MONSTERS in a frickin ARMA. It is funny how Epoch already has 10 times more horror elements than ForeverAlone DAYZ. Yeah, Cultist is my favourite still because it is creepy, but Phantom is a very nice addition. You can now remove drones, thank you :D jk. Don't remove them, Just fix it.

This is what Epoch should be about. No base raiding, but fricking MONSTERS in a frickin ARMA.

Agreed, having to defend your base from those single mine planting, running away when it explodes little people drives me insane. Walking round a corner into a boss sapper makes the blood pump a bit more.

There should be a Server side timer that when finished counting down spawns the you know what monster. Wink wink. And maybe nearest to the most players in one area. That would be Epic.

It's a generic arma footstep on boards sound, it is too loud. We are aiming at it seeming to be another player, initially, along with doors opening to give that instant adrenaline rush, and then weird stuff happens ;) I will be revising this for the next hotfix.

I look forward to that axeman and well done on it's original conception  :)

By the way the scariest threats are the ones you can't see the imagination does all the work !

• 3 weeks later...