[suggestion] Database

evilhomer2

None taken. 

But I'm not someone who doesn't do anything to our Epoch-server either. 

Nor am I someone who has run into enough situations where I miss ie. phpMyAdmin. Sure, there's been an instance or two where I've missed it (eg. finding a specific jammer/jammer owner in the DB) but nothing I can't either work around, or know that eventually there will be tools for it to be accomplished.

AWOL still has a few aces in his sleeve to help admins/server owners with these things. But they are WiP. 

If they work as well as the server browser then there is no hope.

Seriously though, Im a web developer, been doing it for ages. I started to write a php based client for Epoch.

The more I wrote the more it felt wrong. There are too many limitation in Redis for it to serve as a viable persistence layer on a game server. To many things can go wrong on the game side.

And, I know of plans to make a some client to allow server owners to perform live action ingame via some interface (im guessing web based).

Anyone who knows anything about that kind of thing will be scared.

The system will basically, add code into a key in Redis and the server monitor will query that key every x seconds, if there is code it gets 'call compiled'. Not dangerous at all...

Redis has a single password, thats it! No user management what so ever.... To run this admin panel you will either need to run it locally on the same box as the ARMA server, which as of the latest update is sucking all CPU from the world or open up the redis port to the internet. This would mean people could brute force the password and take over the server.

Another thing too. The settings.ini in the @epochhive folder has to be stored inside the ARMA 3 directory. 

EVERYTHING inside the ARMA 3 (applies to ARMA 2 too) CAN BE ACCESSED from the ARMA server. So if someone setting up a server who doesnt know exactly what they are doing, sets up a server incorrectly or changes a setting my mistake, boom hackers can steal the password for Redis.

(there are file type restrictions for ARMA 3)

Good points, looks like we should work in some password security into the authentication method, pretty sure this is already in the pipeline. If we'd had one report of this happening it would definitely have been prioritised.

Once we open source the files the community is more than welcome to write a hive for mysql.

What would people prefer for 0.4, rewriting the hive for mysql, when we have a working database, or work on base building, new models / antagonists, missions and more refined AI? 

Am always open to suggestions :)

Good points, looks like we should work in some password security into the authentication method, pretty sure this is already in the pipeline. If we'd had one report of this happening it would definitely have been prioritised.

Once we open source the files the community is more than welcome to write a hive for mysql.

What would people prefer for 0.4, rewriting the hive for mysql, when we have a working database, or work on base building, new models / antagonists, missions and more refined AI? 

Am always open to suggestions :)

+1 for mysql

Three for, you guys have some votes to gain :) it's not happening.

Pretty sure have stated this before, but until we have time where we are sitting around with nothing to do, it's not happening. 

Macca you surprise me, with all the quality work you've pumped out and you're stumped by redis ?

Did I mention, it is not happening ;)

Three for, you guys have some votes to gain :) it's not happening.

Pretty sure have stated this before, but until we have time where we are sitting around with nothing to do, it's not happening. 

Macca you surprise me, with all the quality work you've pumped out and you're stumped by redis ?

Did I mention, it is not happening ;)

So the vote shit, was a little joke? If so, you are really funny.

Not stumped, just know a lost cause when I see one. 

Redis is really not fit for this purpose but whatever. I have tried to make a reasonable and serious case and you come back with a flippant response :( shame.

I'm on your side with this one Maca

erm not really about side, i am genuinly trying to make a case here.

If the devs dont have time, im sure there is someone who has already tweak epoch to work with MySQL, ask the community.

Not flippant at all, I resisted a lot worse after your previous digs.

It would be ridiculous of us to re-write everything, using what time we have, on something that is already working.

Now this is my personal opinion, but if I am asked to put time into something that is to avoid taking people out of their comfort zone and goes against what we think is best for the Mod, I wouldn't be inclined to donate a second of my time to said cause.

If someone has already got Epoch working with MySQL why don't they step forward and release it to the community ? With such strong feelings about this issue and if we were aware of such a project it would be in our minds as we made decisions about the mod and wrote code..

Not flippant at all, I resisted a lot worse after your previous digs.

It would be ridiculous of us to re-write everything, using what time we have, on something that is already working.

Now this is my personal opinion, but if I am asked to put time into something that is to avoid taking people out of their comfort zone and goes against what we think is best for the Mod, I wouldn't be inclined to donate a second of my time to said cause.

If someone has already got Epoch working with MySQL why don't they step forward and release it to the community ? With such strong feelings about this issue and if we were aware of such a project it would be in our minds as we made decisions about the mod and wrote code..

I have an old version of Epoch A3 converted over to MySQL.

Yes i de-obfuscated all the server code + rewrote sections of the code to optimize for MySQL Tables.

When i was de-obfuscated the code, thats when i noticed your tool was obfuscating the code was changing _index  breaking code etc.

I could easily redo the work in 2-3 days if was allowed to maintain a fork on a public Github.

But that breaks  EPOCH License, since we are not allowed to redist any changes etc

I have an old version of Epoch A3 converted over to MySQL.

Yes i de-obfuscated all the server code + rewrote sections of the code to optimize for MySQL Tables.

When i was de-obfuscated the code, thats when i noticed your tool was obfuscating the code was changing _index  breaking code etc.

I could easily redo the work in 2-3 days if was allowed to maintain a fork on a public Github.

But that breaks  EPOCH License, since we are not allowed to redist any changes etc

Why not just share your work with the dev team and they can allow it as an option for server admins to choose which system they want to use?  Or just incorporate it into the code by default with stock releases.

This is not the first time i mentioned i ported Epoch A3 to MySQL etc.
The Epoch Devs are well aware i ported it over to MySQL, and some of them got my Skype Contacts.

Hell even skar has used my python script that i use to indent files Epoch Server Files on an obfuscated anti-hack :)

---------

Epoch Devs are more than capable of making an SQL extension (fank had one for a Life Server before) + code A3Epoch to use SQL.
But they have no interest in doing so look @ axeman last comment.

-------

Anyway i just offered to port the code the code to MySQL even mentioned it take 2-3 days.
Hell i could prob get it done in less than a day to be honest.
But that will only happen if Epoch License get changed or i am given permission to maintain an un-offical fork on a public Github.

I have no interest in modify code so it can be obfuscated in a server pbo, which an extension does a checksum check on, guess i am just crazy ;)

Seriously....why are we not using this?!  https://github.com/Torndeco/extDB2  :o

Features:

ASync Support
Unique ID for Messages
Multi-Part Messages
Rcon Support
Steam VAC + Friends Queries
RemoteTCP Support to send/receive text from extDB2
Arma2 Legacy randomize configfile support

Supported Backends:

MySQL
SQLite
Redis

Protocols:

REDIS_RAW (Ability to whitelist allowed commands)
SQL_CUSTOM (Ability to define sql prepared statements in a .ini file)
SQL_RAW
LOG (Custom Logfiles)
MISC (has beguid, crc32, md4/5, time + time offset)
RCON (Ability to whitelist allowed commands)
STEAM (Ability to Query Steam for VAC Bans / Friend Info)

Is a great bit of work, we decided to write our own. We like to learn and, to optimise the mod, all the extra goodies in extdb2 aren't currently required.

I don't see any opening of the github in the near future, so probably no mysql support soon, sorry.