[0.3.0.1_b5] Impressions from a host

Tobias Solem

The current played official back-end (server side) patch is 0.3.0.1_b5, which was made to fix krypto issues and vehicle explosions on server startup. The purpose of this post is to give some insight to hosts waiting for the release to know what to expect, and to players to get some insight into what's going on, what is actually configurable and what is not. Without further ado, here's the current situation:

Performance

Server-side 0.3.0.1_b5 is the most demanding patch as of yet. I will repeat that, all hosts will struggle with trying to make it perform as the last patch. With the best hardware we can rent from OVH we have about 12 (server side) FPS with 70 players. We tried running one AI-script on top of that, and it dropped to 4-5 server FPS. Note, this is with vanilla Epoch, and about 2900 buildables and default numbers for vehicles, so nothing unusual for Epoch.

Performance first took a dive after the Helicopters DLC was released, but now we are at an all-time low. The options we as admins have right now are: 

1. Put a severe limit on buildables and vehicles (will affect larger maps like Altis worse)

2. Lower player limits, 100 players is not really feasible currently performance-wise

3. Let Epoch run vanilla, without extra scripts and mission systems

4. Only allow for missions that utilize a headless client (offloads AI handling/CPU usage to a separate client)

5. All of the above

6. Accept very low server-side FPS with odd consequences

Expect Arma 3 1.40 server-binary to sometimes reach 80% CPU-utilization. Something that hosts with multiple server instances on the same host will be frowning at. At this point I recommend setting process priority to realtime and affinity to include all cores to push the most out of it. In my opinion, Epoch needs to run alone on a server, with perhaps a headless client alongside it (I also wish devs to adapt the code to allow AI to be moved to headless client(s)). 

Bug(s)

The current worst bugs are the krypto-system that sometimes lets you spawn with X amount of Krypto. This was partially fixed since 0.3.0.1_b1, but still persists to an extent. There are still bugs present, naturally as we are in alpha, but some of them affect the gameplay; such as getting kicked after being within visual range of multiple sappers exploding, objects not snapping properly after deconstructing and rebuilding them, and such. 0.3x is still less buggy than previous instances.

Exploits

You will be happy to learn that quite a few of the common ways to exploit (duping etc.) the mod have been worked on. Unfortunately glitching by vaulting near walls still remain. Duping can still be done, but it is more difficult.

Configuration

We now have a lot more configurable options server-side, we are able to edit the loot-tables currently, which means that each host can have their own loot table system. The loot table is baked in with the pbos in @epochhive, which means that any customization will currently have to be redone after new server-side patches/iterations. I have suggested the loot table to be moved to the database.

Furthermore spawn chances of sappers, super-sappers, UAV's and other antagonists are changable by admins in the loots.h - this gives server-owners more control. Other than that, most options remain the same as previous versions with one exception: Weather controls can now be changed to a static value (same weather 24/7), this allows hosts to turn off rain for example. 

AI behaviour

As AI-behaviour is affected by server performance, you will see it behave erratically sometimes. In general though sapper behaviour and UAV-drone military dude spawn are behaving better when they fight. 

There now is an "anti-camper"-functionality in effect that is not connected to the spawn chance options that can be configurable as far as I can tell. UAV's and sappers will spawn on top of player(s) that stay still or in the same zone. The feedback we have had is that this is "beyond frustrating". I recommend turning the default spawn values in the configuration down to compensate to a certain extent. Beyond that, camping is a lot more difficult now.

General impressions

From a server perspective we are quite satisfied with this patch and feel like Epoch has taken a major step in the right direction. We are of course bothered by the fact that it currently performs much much worse than previous patches, something that likely will generate a bunch of "odd" bug reports that will be difficult to reproduce due to the volotile behaviour of an overloaded ARMA 3 server. 

I forgot to mention that there now is a buildables per jammer limit (configurable by the hosts). So now there is a default limit per jammer to build 200 items within frequency jammer range (which is 75m by default). 

Furthermore, no (additional/competing) jammer(s) can be placed within jammer range*3 (75*3 = default 225m).

I have suggested the loot table to be moved to the database.

I can't imagine adding 100 items to loot list in db redis.. all configs should be just files. I don't want to rely on Redis because i don't trust it and database should contain only user-data.

When Epoch will be open someone will just transfer it to MySQL.. and we all will be glad for it.

I wonder how quick this topic turn into a flame war..

With the best hardware we can rent from OVH we have about 12 (server side) FPS with 70 players. We tried running one AI-script on top of that, and it dropped to 4-5 server FPS. Note, this is with vanilla Epoch, and about 2900 buildables and default numbers for vehicles, so nothing unusual for Epoch.

Can you elaborate on your hardware so we have some kind of baseline?  Also what AI script did you attempt to run?

Can you elaborate on your hardware so we have some kind of baseline?  Also what AI script did you attempt to run?

This! Mainly the hardware though as it will be interesting to see how this affects people who aren't on a dedi.

SPECS

Intel Xeon E3 1245v2

4 Cores / 8 Threads

3.4 GHz+

32 GB RAM

3x120 GB SSD Soft Raid

I think he got these.

It's certainly a concern that the performance is dropping. I currently have a dedicated box: i7 3770 running at 3.9GHz (4 cores 8 threads), 16GB RAM and running from a dedicated SSD

I find it frustrating that when monitoring the CPU usage that Arma3 server doesn't use what is available (I have affinity set to FF and the process is running with realtime priority)

Screenshots in spoilers:

IURtlL9.jpg

V9W2eSn.jpg

It's certainly a concern that the performance is dropping. I currently have a dedicated box: i7 3770 running at 3.9GHz (4 cores 8 threads), 16GB RAM and running from a dedicated SSD

I find it frustrating that when monitoring the CPU usage that Arma3 server doesn't use what is available (I have affinity set to FF and the process is running with realtime priority)

Screenshots in spoilers:

IURtlL9.jpg

V9W2eSn.jpg

Something must be wrong with your setup. It should look much more consistent with less than 20 players.

Here is Ours with 100 players and 97 players ingame.

4qGWclJ.png

Current issues being worked on:

1. Random Krypto on respawn.

2. Admins being wiped on relog.

3. Broken legs being fixed on relog.

4. Explosives being far to rare.

5. Base pieces being to hard to destroy.

6. Loads of other issues on our private Github

Should be a productive day of testing.

Nice!  Let's get this patch released before Wednesday.  Darthy is home today and tomorrow but has to be away for work all day Wednesday.  lol!

Something must be wrong with your setup. It should look much more consistent with less than 20 players.

Here is Ours with 100 players and 97 players ingame.

4qGWclJ.png

I assumed it was related to the AI scripts I have on the server plus about 8000 built items.

What is the build count on that server?

I thank you for number 4 and 5 ! My constant bitching must of got a little attention ;)