News about 1.0.5?

VidKo

Well what people have to do is activating arma steam beta autopatching, download the patch and deactivate arma steam beta autopatching again.

Yes that sounds easy, but you know people. That will be some rough times. Try to explain to a regular Epoch gamer why they have to wait for 1.0.5. until 30 June. They will just not understand. They are not stupid, but its just a game. They want the easy way.

And I dont think that it is to easy to get the steam patch as an installer for DZC. I think people have to do the hard way via steam.

Time will tell. Dont expect an increase of player. Expect a decrease.

you don't have to wait till june 30th' for 1.0.5  it works fine on the current patch 103718.

I do agree though, this process is going to break a ton of servers and players as well.  Gotta get on early to capitalize on the gains tho!

Dayz mod/Arma 2 is not listed on the server browser. No way to list Arma 2/Dayz games on it as far as I can tell.

Yah, I was looking at that earlier, seems only Arma 2 OA demo servers were available. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that'll be updated come the time.

Dayz mod/Arma 2 is not listed on the server browser. No way to list Arma 2/Dayz games on it as far as I can tell.

Have you tried the Steam beta patch yet?  You need to load up the game and use the in-game browser for now, im guessing they're still working on the steam back-end stuff for the servers to be listed in the steam gui server browser.  But the ingame browser certainly works.

Theres not too many on there yet, but as mentioned already in this thread theres uncertainty about which version will become the default which is possibly causing a slow uptake.

When they push the stable steam files through im sure everyone will be on 1.63.124879 or newer.

After that it will work like A3 does:

Stable branch being the game available on Steam

Dev branch requiring the clients to opt in to the betas via game properties on Steam.

In the long run they're actually making things a lot simpler for the end user.

Yes, I tried the Steam beta. The problem with the in-game browser is that it uses GameSpy... so Steam will be the only way to list the servers after June 30th, but right now Steam doesn't list Arma 2/Dayz mod servers. The question that hasn't been answered definitively is what version the Epoch 1.0.5 servers will be on. I think people are going to be setting up their servers on stable and beta versions.

I thought the ingame browser will still work but, just not with gamespy. I did a test by upgrading my local arma2 to the latest patch and the ingame browser changed. Looked the same but, without gamespy all over it and whole load less servers...!

Not sure what the ip reporting address would be though...

I think you missed my point.

The in-game browser in the latest beta patch (not the 112555 one) uses Steamworks and not GameSpy, if you had installed the correct version you would have noticed this.

• When GameSpy finally shuts down (this weekend I think, dont quote me on that though!), Arma2 et al moves onto Steam.

• Steam makes the 1.63.124879 (or what ever the stable version is then) as the standard game file for Arma2.

• It does away with the need for running servers/games on beta versions. I.E. Everyone will be on the same Version.

• The current beta system is merged into the development branch (opt in on steam) and is only available to those who opt to develop, test and add new features for the purposes of bettering the game.

ERGO

99% of A2/Dayz/Epoch/WhateverMod Clients and Servers use the Steam version

1% of the users use the Steam DEVELOPMENT version for the reason I mentioned above.

It may have a week or so of everyone running around panicking asking "WTF VERSION DO I NEED?!" but it will settle down, once the mods publish a few guides for all the people who are confused or just dont know what to do. Forums are helpful places right?

The worst thing to come out of all this over the past few weeks is the broken beta-patch being pushed out to everyone without being load-tested which ended up creating all this confusion, rather than waiting on BIS to make a proper announcement on the matter.

Well, I'm confused. I just changed Arma 2 OA to automatically update, then I verified the files. It said two files needed to be replaced. It did all that, I started the game and it says I'm running 1.62.95248. So, without opting into the beta, I'm on 1.62? I thought just by using the latest Steam version, we were on the newest stable Arma 2 OA version.

Well, I'm confused. I just changed Arma 2 OA to automatically update, then I verified the files. It said two files needed to be replaced. It did all that, I started the game and it says I'm running 1.62.95248. So, without opting into the beta, I'm on 1.62? I thought just by using the latest Steam version, we were on the newest stable Arma 2 OA version.

You can no longer use the Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe you must use the \arma2oa.exe to launch your game. The beta folder is obsolete.

I am quite happily using the beta server and client (1.63) via Steam.  The client is marked as (Obsolete) in Steam but still works :) .

I get options for lan, Steam and one other option I cannot remember at the moment on the multiplayer server screen but the Gamespy logo is still in the top right corner.

http://epochmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/13231-how-to-update-to-steam-patch-163124879/

You can no longer use the Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe you must use the \arma2oa.exe to launch your game. The beta folder is obsolete.

I don't launch the game from the folders. I launched it from Steam  and that's the version I got. However, if I opt into the beta, it bumps it up to 1.63, so apparently the last stable version is 1.62.

One more confusion about the steam beta patching. If I set it to beta it will update the game to 1.63.124879. Let's say BI releases another patch tomorrow, it will automatically update, right? Let's say to 1.63.130000. What if Epoch is not compatible with that one or it just causes crashes?

Is there a way to force a 1.63.124879 version/update? Or is the only option to disable beta after updating again, but if so, what is with the player who didn't do that. How do they get back to 1.63.124879?

And there it starts. 125402 is out. Any idea how to handle the issue I talked about before?

oo Another arma 2 OA update?  Guess ill be testing tonight : ) 

Edit:

ARMA 2: OA Beta build 125402 - Steam Mp Lobby (1.63 build, Steam only)

Beta build 125402 has just been released on Steam.

Change log:

- fixed Steam command line parameters parsing

- PlayerID is now SteamID

- improved BattlEye implementation (Steam Launch options updated)

oo Another arma 2 OA update?  Guess ill be testing tonight : ) 

Edit:

ARMA 2: OA Beta build 125402 - Steam Mp Lobby (1.63 build, Steam only)

Beta build 125402 has just been released on Steam.

Change log:

- fixed Steam command line parameters parsing

- PlayerID is now SteamID

- improved BattlEye implementation (Steam Launch options updated)

Hmm... will "PlayerID is now SteamID" require any sort of database changes? What about mods that use PlayerID?

Hmm... will "PlayerID is now SteamID" require any sort of database changes? What about mods that use PlayerID?

nothing should happen. is only a few more numbers.

all "beta 125402" players will get a new character in database

Beta build 125402 is working with Epoch 1.0.5.1

I think the number just changed. So the number that is assigned to your character is another now. Which means that the system of the server will create a new character since it thinks that that fellow is a new player.

Small things need to be done by the player like plotpoles need to be replaced and so on.

Could also be that I mix something up. Too many numbers for a single mod :D

nothing should happen is only a few more numbers.

all "beta 125402" players will get a new character in database

Beta build 125402 is working with Epoch 1.0.5.1

I think the number just changed. So the number that is assigned to your character is another now. Which means that the system of the server will create a new character since it thinks that that fellow is a new player.

Small things need to be done by the player like plotpoles need to be replaced and so on.

Yes, but I'm guessing we'll need to use these new id's for things like infistar and other mods that use player ID as BetterDeadThanZed mentioned....?