News about 1.0.5?

VidKo

Not sure if it's entirely true, but from information I've been given, DayZ Commander will be updated to work with Steam Servers once the whole Gamespy drop takes place. That being said dealing with patches should still be just as easy. That's ofc if this information is correct, fingers crossed.

We were told that back in May. It's now 2 days before the Gamespy shutdown and no official news from DotJosh.

I'm not that worried about changing id's in the scripts but, I'm worried if you're a new character, does that mean all player's gear will be lost unless in storage? Did you also randomly spawn on the map with your server's fresh spawn loadout Betterdead?

I'm not that worried about changing id's in the scripts but, I'm worried if you're a new character, does that mean all player's gear will be lost unless in storage? Did you also randomly spawn on the map with your server's fresh spawn loadout Betterdead?

You will be a fresh spawn with the new Steam ID. Just like a player joining for the first time. Humanity reset. Kills reset. No gear other than the starting loadout on your server. Not sure I understand what you are asking about the random spawn... 

They will start fresh, yes. However old playerID will still be there, which means you can overwrite old ID with a new one in database, just dont forget to set freshly spawned instance to Alive 0, and ask them to relog. That way they will log back in with their old gear. Problem is - you'll be doing this for all players.

Another solution - warn people to store their gear day before update

Their is another problem that came in my mind with the new beta patch situation: player will automatically update as soon as they start the game. Servers not. You dont start your server via steam and most people have a task system to restart their server.

It could be that a patch gets released, clients update automatically and server stays outdated until an admin notice it. Which means incompatibility. :(

Their is another problem that came in my mind with the new beta patch situation: player will automatically update as soon as they start the game. Servers not. You dont start your server via steam and most people have a task system to restart their server.

It could be that a patch gets released, clients update automatically and server stays outdated until an admin notice it. Which means incompatibility. :(

Had the same idea bothering me today, too. I guess they could do some sort of backwards compatibility on those

Nope, that mean incompatibility on non-backwardscompatable patches. 95% of the beta patches are backwards compatable with previous (recent) beta patches. I.e. all 1.62 betas after 1.62 are compatible but not 1.63 and 1.62.

They will start fresh, yes. However old playerID will still be there, which means you can overwrite old ID with a new one in database, just dont forget to set freshly spawned instance to Alive 0, and ask them to relog. That way they will log back in with their old gear. Problem is - you'll be doing this for all players.

Another solution - warn people to store their gear day before update

Yes, I know that. There's already been a solution posted for a manual fix, but an automated one would be better.

I updated my Arma 2 to the beta (125402) and joined my server, which is on 124879 and it worked just fine. My host hadn't updated their control panel to include 125402 at the time I tested.

Someone over in the just confirmed that the new steam beta uses new Battleeye GUIDs so we cannot even link PlayerUID -> battleeye GUID -> SteamID.

Unless Steam / BIS release a tool for server owners it looks like it will have to be a manual process.

How about logging the playerUID in the users ARMA2OA.RPT file via a line in the init.sqf for your mission and you can then tell them to send you the log so you can confirm their playerUID.  Add a value to it (i.e. 100 or something) in the sqf to help prevent people trying to spoof others PlayerUIDs they may see somewhere.  The number in the log is not their playerUID but you just deduct the number you added in the SQF and you then have it,  May have to turn on the DZE_Debug option to get it logging though which could then report other things the player can see.  The change would be manual but at least the info needed is logged without needing the user to do anything.

You're confused. The GUID is a set of letters and numbers based on your CD key. It will not change. It's used by admins to do local bans and used by BE to globally ban players. The Player UID is what is changing to the Steam ID. It is this change that will cause players to lose their gear, as well as ownership to plot poles and other buildables. Obviously cars, safes and anything accessed with a key or code isn't owned by a specific player, so there will not be any problem with that.

Have you tested to confirm your GUID is not being tied to the SteamID in the new patch ?.  Tay Tay appears to have done so in the other thread as you know.

Maybe he bought a disc version and the change to Steam changed the GUID linking it to a Steam key or vice versa.  Don't know, have not tested so cannot say for sure. 

Yes, I know that. There's already been a solution posted for a manual fix, but an automated one would be better.

I updated my Arma 2 to the beta (125402) and joined my server, which is on 124879 and it worked just fine. My host hadn't updated their control panel to include 125402 at the time I tested.

Thanks for this BetterDeadThanZed. I think based on this I'll probably just upgrade my server to 124879 until I can get my head around how to marry up the 3000 old alive characters in my db to the new characters Steam is going to create when my server goes to 125402 and beyond.(I still don't know how anyone is going to overcome this problem as there will be nothing linking the 2 characters unless a player can tell you their old 9/10 digit PUID and you then query that in the db...)

124879 it is then, so getting my server on to Steam, onto the version the Epoch devs tested 105 with (which should hopefully clear my last error with playerhit.sqf with 112555) but, stopping short of the Steam ID swap over and the character nightmare. 

Can anyone see any holes in my plan....? And what are you all going to do...?

Guys you really need to update your arma version this weekend.  June 30 is final gamespy shutdown,  and Battleye will not protect older versions after june 30th.   You are urged to upgrade to the new steam version (125402).

Yes, but, if like me, server owners put 124879 on their servers, client's using 125402 can still connect to it. The server won't auto update to the latest beta version.

Doesn't this bypass, in the short term, the issue of the steam id's until we all figure out a way to copy old character information across to the new characters...?

Yes, but, if like me, server owners put 124879 on their servers, client's using 125402 can still connect to it. The server won't auto update to the latest beta version.

Doesn't this bypass, in the short term, the issue of the steam id's until we all figure out a way to copy old character information across to the new characters...?

No, because regardless of what the changelog says, even 124879 uses the new Steam ID. This is the version my server was on when I updated my client to 125402.

No, because regardless of what the changelog says, even 124879 uses the new Steam ID. This is the version my server was on when I updated my client to 125402.

Oh man, so what's the solution...?

This will be an admin nightmare of people claiming they had this and that, not being able to find their old PUID's to tell you so you can query the db to check what they had...

Realistically how can you communicate to all alive characters to store everything in storage before they log out? server spam won't work as some may not come on for the 3 days between now and then....also, some of mine are Russian and have poor English, then there are other languages etc....

How do we marry up the old character to the new one? Considering that the unique field until now will be a new unique field in a new row with no link the old one....

Oh man, so what's the solution...?

This will be an admin nightmare of people claiming they had this and that, not being able to find their old PUID's to tell you so you can query the db to check what they had...

Realistically how can you communicate to all alive characters to store everything in storage before they log out? server spam won't work as some may not come on for the 3 days between now and then....also, some of mine are Russian and have poor English, then there are other languages etc....

How do we marry up the old character to the new one? Considering that the unique field until now will be a new unique field in a new row with no link the old one....

Right now there is no solution. Everyone will start as a new spawn. Not a whole lot we can do about it except help players get back some of their stuff through admin tools and database editing.

Right now there is no solution. Everyone will start as a new spawn. Not a whole lot we can do about it except help players get back some of their stuff through admin tools and database editing.

Great! hardly what I would call 'seamless'.....

So, I have now posted a spam message on my server every 15 minutes telling players to offload their gear into storage before they log out....can't see how the database editing is going to help as I only have a medium-high pop server average 30 players and I have 3100 alive characters. So some of the longer established higher pop servers are probably pushing 10k!!

As the current PUID won't be linked to player name either after Steam will copy over it, I honestly don't know how we can trace back to the old character ID.

Unless someone comes up with some probably impossible genius here, I'm going to have to dump my old plan and go straight to 125402 having spammed the server up until Monday every 15 minutes and then me and my admins pick up the fallout on the day.....FUN! :(