Ideas to make bases even more unique!

Xenification

Im really looking forward to see Arma 3 Epoch,
so I was thinking about the building system and got some ideas.

For example you could make a picture that shows your squad.xml, that you can place on your walls,

so others know who owns the base.

Please share your ideas for Arma 3 Epoch.

Maybe the developers will build something you suggest into the game.

(Sry if my English isn´t good!)

Yea, it would be cool if there were craftable building parts that would serve more of a visual purpose that functional. E.g. Carpets, paintings, statues or something simmilar. You can also make some certain vanity building parts a rare drop somewhere, so if you find that one rare (i dunno what exactly though. But lets say its some cool and very rare road sign with some custom decal on it) building part and place it in front of your base for others to see the base building will get another curve to it. More things to do is always better.

Camo netting that could be used to 'dress' the walls would be good.  I am having to build wooden walls outside of the cinder walls to try and disguise the bright cinder in a forest environment.

Carpets and Statues.... has someone been playing DayZ Standalone a bit too much ;) .

Anyhting that requires new modes will be very difficult unless a team of 3D modellers suddenly join the Epoch mod team and provide their work free of charge.  Textures still need a lot of work to get looking good and so are probably the next most difficult thing to add in.  Scripts that manipulate the current assets (models, textures, sounds, interactivity etc) would be the easiest of the three and the most likely to happen.

Camo netting could possibly be a texture so whilst not fairly easy to do, it would not as difficult as getting statues in the game (if they do not already exist).  I would imagine the same for the paint although I would imagine custom painted logos etc would be problematic if persistance was needed (which it probably would be).

Anyhting that requires new modes will be very difficult unless a team of 3D modellers suddenly join the Epoch mod team and provide their work free of charge.  Textures still need a lot of work to get looking good and so are probably the next most difficult thing to add in.  Scripts that manipulate the current assets (models, textures, sounds, interactivity etc) would be the easiest of the three and the most likely to happen.

Did you actually play Epoch?

Hello Sequisha, Thank you for taking the time to keep the community informed.

Would like to just ask a couple of questions,

First, will building materials in A3 Epoch have sets that are of equal length, as in wood walls that match in length to the cinder block walls and metal floors. rather then half the items being slightly different sizes.

And second, what software do you use for making new models for Arma 3 and do you have a system to allow the community to submit possible models and/or textures? (I enjoy making models but can't texture for the life of me.)

Did you even read my sig.  Seems like a bit of a silly question.

What do you take exception too ?.

Do you dissagree that modelling is more difficult than providing textures and standard scripting ?.

Do you dissagree that textures are more difficult than standard scripting ?.

Is there a team (you know, more than just yourself) providing models and textures for Epoch free of charge ?.

Do you believe that models and textures are more likely to be added to Epoch than scripts ?.

You gotta help me out here as I have no idea what your comment is related too.

Hello Sequisha, Thank you for taking the time to keep the community informed.

Would like to just ask a couple of questions,

First, will building materials in A3 Epoch have sets that are of equal length, as in wood walls that match in length to the cinder block walls and metal floors. rather then half the items being slightly different sizes.

And second, what software do you use for making new models for Arma 3 and do you have a system to allow the community to submit possible models and/or textures? (I enjoy making models but can't texture for the life of me.)

Hey no problem, everything should be sized the same as it stands.  It should make it more 'modular' in this sense. 

As for submission of models etc; it's highly unlikely for any submissions to be accepted for Arma 3:Epoch.  I'm working hard to make sure you guys and gals have whatever you'll need.  I've also the assistance of our newest member, Kiory...a highly skilled and experienced modeller; also well versed in modding Arma.  Hopefully you won't feel the need for additional assets, at least on the initial release.

Did you even read my sig.  Seems like a bit of a silly question.

What do you take exception too ?.

Do you dissagree that modelling is more difficult than providing textures and standard scripting ?.

Do you dissagree that textures are more difficult than standard scripting ?.

Is there a team (you know, more than just yourself) providing models and textures for Epoch free of charge ?.

Do you believe that models and textures are more likely to be added to Epoch than scripts ?.

You gotta help me out here as I have no idea what your comment is related too.

My apologies, I perhaps inferred negativity from your post.  It almost appeared as your weren't aware of the numerous assets we added in the Arma 2 Epoch mod.   I see now that you were suggesting that the asset creation process is a bit more involved for Arma 3, making it difficult to implement.

Sorry about that! :3  As for the assets we currently have, including all additional characters, base-building objects etc...I've made the vast majority of them myself.  With the addition of our newest member, we'll be more than capable to provide the assets necessary to carry out the Epoch vision.

In regards to difficulty and comparison of other development aspects, they can't really be compared; they all take a fair amount of R&D, intrinsic knowledge, patience and passion.

My apologies, I perhaps inferred negativity from your post.  It almost appeared as your weren't aware of the numerous assets we added in the Arma 2 Epoch mod.   I see now that you were suggesting that the asset creation process is a bit more involved for Arma 3, making it difficult to implement.

Sorry about that! :3  As for the assets we currently have, including all additional characters, base-building objects etc...I've made the vast majority of them myself.  With the addition of our newest member, we'll be more than capable to provide the assets necessary to carry out the Epoch vision.

In regards to difficulty and comparison of other development aspects, they can't really be compared; they all take a fair amount of R&D, intrinsic knowledge, patience and passion.

I am well aware of your work and it really is very good.  Adding the female modes is fantastic (although some skins without knee high pants would be good ;) ).  I have been reading the thread concerning the new enterable building and the different considerations and effort that is required in doing so with great interest.  Moddeling and texturing is not my area at all and my comments were based partly on your details of the process you outlined in that thread.

It is good to hear that you are not on your own in creating these now.  Does that mean we should get our additonal orders in now :D .

Whilst I do agree about the difficulty in comparison, each area geenrally requires a different skillset and some are easier to aquire than others hence why there are more scripted mods out there than new objects.   There are just a larger base of people who can easily get to grips with scripting than can or are willing to take the time and make the required effort (inc obtaining the software etc) that is required for modelling.

Keep up the great work.  Let those models keep comming (not hats and boots though please, this is not DayZ SA ;) ).

I am well aware of your work and it really is very good.  Adding the female modes is fantastic (although some skins without knee high pants would be good ;) ).  I have been reading the thread concerning the new enterable building and the different considerations and effort that is required in doing so with great interest.  Moddeling and texturing is not my area at all and my comments were based partly on your details of the process you outlined in that thread.

It is good to hear that you are not on your own in creating these now.  Does that mean we should get our additonal orders in now :D .

Whilst I do agree about the difficulty in comparison, each area geenrally requires a different skillset and some are easier to aquire than others hence why there are more scripted mods out there than new objects.   There are just a larger base of people who can easily get to grips with scripting than can or are willing to take the time and make the required effort (inc obtaining the software etc) that is required for modelling.

Keep up the great work.  Let those models keep comming (not hats and boots though please, this is not DayZ SA ;) ).

Thanks you very much my friend!  I look back at some of the stuff I did even leading up to the end of Arma 2 Epoch and giggle a bit.  I've been implementing new techniques and have learned all kinds of new tricks along the way.  Hopefully by the time we're done; everything you see should LOOK like it belongs there.

And yeah...there'll be hats...but I've requested all Fedora to be taken off the loot table.  Except maybe one,...and it'll one shot you if when equipped. 

Thanks you very much my friend!  I look back at some of the stuff I did even leading up to the end of Arma 2 Epoch and giggle a bit.  I've been implementing new techniques and have learned all kinds of new tricks along the way.  Hopefully by the time we're done; everything you see should LOOK like it belongs there.

And yeah...there'll be hats...but I've requested all Fedora to be taken off the loot table.  Except maybe one,...and it'll one shot you if when equipped. 

Credit where it is due :) .

Not wanting to diverge too far from the subject but while you are here....

Will any of it be backwards compatible with ARMA II Epoch or is it a completely different system with no easy way to provide a 'downgrade' to ARMA II Epoch ?.

Oh and if you have the time.... cinderblock walls with windows & half length walls (wood and cinder) to match the 1/4 floors ;) .  Putting a 1/2 length wall around a stairwell can prevent lots of nasty broken legs if the boys get a bit excited :D .

Oh and if you have the time.... cinderblock walls with windows & half length walls (wood and cinder) to match the 1/4 floors ;) .  Putting a 1/2 length wall around a stairwell can prevent lots of nasty broken legs if the boys get a bit excited :D .

Always wished for this while playing a2 epoch.  I think half/quarter-length walls would be more useful than half/quarter(or third)-height walls.  I'll love you for long time.

Always wished for this while playing a2 epoch.  I think half/quarter-length walls would be more useful than half/quarter(or third)-height walls.  I'll love you for long time.

From the time-lapse I get the impression that maybe if you have a half height wall you may just be able to rotate it and place it sideways or am I mistaken?

One thing I do hope for is better visibility when placing the wall. maybe able to place it in the location. walk about it to check if your happy, then Fix to the location. rather then having to try and guess while it is right in front if you and moves as you move.