Why is terrain detail forced so low?

Trauma

Why does Epoch force a very low terrain detail?

The FPS hit between ultra and low (what epoch runs, feels like terraingrid 40) is minimal, but the visual impact is massive. Not even close to worth it.

Terraingrid 40, about what is forced in Epoch;

O4B5z.jpg

Terraingrid 3.25 (best value);

KdEM2.jpg

Is that worth 5 FPS?

Yeah, that needs to be changed, as it was brought up a few times now.  I don't know about you, I don't have a bad rig but I rarely drop below 60fps regardless.  I think this is a tad unnecessary, it looks terrible and breaks gameplay.

Yeh I made a thread about this a while back , our server admins will be changing it soon I hope once the 0.3.1 initial test is over I guess .. its an immersion killer and a very poor oversight to have let it keep creeping back in with every update.

Yeah a really frustrating thing for sure..

If its forced by the Epoch devs I dont understand why they haven´t said anything in any of the previous threads.

This is a gamebreaker for Me so hope it´s not forced and that our host can tune it up.

Trauma, what server are you playing on? I have never noticed this, nor has it been reported before on any of our official test servers so I am thinking this maybe server specific. 

In Epoch, the only place we touch setTerrainGrid is in our Anti-Hack and it is simply forced to 25 like default for MP.

OP, please test on one of our official servers to confirm that this is an issue with the mod and not just something a server admin has done.

This is an Arma 3 issue / client terrain detail settings and nothing related to Epoch,.

I have seen this on every mod mentioned previously in this thread,. In fact it's been an issue reported to BIS Arma3 feedback tracker since May 2013.

Maybe some of you guys should look at/search the issues on the feedback tracker to see if there are any others you want to groan about and throw your wieght behind them by voting on them.

Links:

0008658: Changing terrain details causes strange "anomalies" in the distance.

Arma 3 Feedback Tracker Main Page

IMGUR Library showing the differences in Terrain Detail settings

:)

*Edited* - more links

Yeah a really frustrating thing for sure..

If its forced by the Epoch devs I dont understand why they haven´t said anything in any of the previous threads.

This is a gamebreaker for Me so hope it´s not forced and that our host can tune it up.

Especially since the majority of gun fights probably happen across hill tops. They do for me anyways. You think you're hitting the guy but nothing is happening to him.

I know that BI decided to sink characters into the ground to simulate something to the effect of being hidden by vegetation, since vegetation simply doesn't render after.. what, 50m? I'm not sure if this has something to do with it or if it's related anyhow. Some people have offered some resolutions to this issue but BI haven't taken any of them.

Ah, didn't see Uro's post. =p

Trauma, what server are you playing on? I have never noticed this, nor has it been reported before on any of our official test servers so I am thinking this maybe server specific.

Nah, it's like that on any server you play on, including Mells. I think most people just shrug it off as being part of the game and don't say anything about it. It's more noticeable in the higher hills in the west in Altis.

I have to disagree that it is entirely an Arma 3 issue vbawol, 

here is the image I posted from an Epoch server earlier, no it is not an official server.

http://s17.postimg.org/ijkxd1cb3/2015_02_07_00002.jpg

2015_02_07_00002.jpg

This is from my personal test server running a mission with no mods:

http://s28.postimg.org/dvpsbv29p/2015_03_16_00002.jpg

2015_03_16_00002.jpg

Same location and roughly same distance, I could not get further away as I was on a hill.  Maybe later I can jump on Mells and get to this same location as it's wayyy up NE near the military base on the hill.

Perhaps someone can test a change in the Battleye filter value, I do not run battleye otherwise I'd do it.

In Epoch, the only place we touch setTerrainGrid is in our Anti-Hack and it is simply forced to 25 like default for MP.

OP, please test on one of our official servers to confirm that this is an issue with the mod and not just something a server admin has done.

I play on the Zenithofmen AU Altis server.

If I go into the editor and change the terrain detail setting to low I get the result you see in my OP. In server changing this setting has no effect on the floating objects, something is locking it at a very low setting. I only get this in epoch, though I have seen it in other missions in the past.