Ilanavis [WIP]

cring0

Replaced large airport with a racetrack, there's still a small air strip on the western side of the map. Added more forest and fields to center island. The majority of the coast is finished. Majority of the heightfield map is finished. Still need to work on the two north western islands a bit. Still want to add a waterway through the large city in the north. Still need to finish the port on the south eastern corner of map. Once I have those things finished and finish touching up the heighfield map, I'll load it into Terrain Builder and see where it's placing the water level.

I'm uploading images to imgur now, so, giving potato nets, they'll be up in a little while.

+1

I'm keeping tabs on this as it's good to see other peoples workflow,...

I may throw up a site and do something similar, im currently resizing all my masks for more detail - I'm on the limits of what L3DT can export without creating corrupt images - damned memory handling! hopefully will be fixed in next version of L3DT :)

So it's a very time intensive piece of surgery im doing atm, nothing worth doing a progress report on unfortunately lol :D

In the meantime (read: while L3DT is crunching data) I've created a billboard addon that is a bit of a homage to creator of Map Builder - as a way of saying thanks to NeoArmageddon for his map building addon, using images of maps created with MB:

up8i0L.jpg

YvmhaA.jpg

There are 2 versions of each of the signs, the plain MB versions and versions with extra homage to Jakerod and M1lkm8n. :D

I will be releasing these on BI Forums/Armaholic once I polish them up a bit more.  I'm have a bunch more road signs for my own version of this addon for my map :)

Should be about the summer of 2019.

lol'd :D

People don't realise just how much time you have to sink into terrain creation to get something back out of it. 

I've just spend a couple of weeks recreating all my masks  - satellite / surface / normals / etc, creating textures, customising objects (re-texturing), creating my own object pbo - so when I get everything back into TB, I have more to work with. :)

lol'd :D

People don't realise just how much time you have to sink into terrain creation to get something back out of it.

I've just spend a couple of weeks recreating all my masks - satellite / surface / normals / etc, creating textures, customising objects (re-texturing), creating my own object pbo - so when I get everything back into TB, I have more to work with. :)

that's BS. nothing in user content creation takes 6 years. unless you do it wrong or don't have free time to work on it.

that's BS. nothing in user content creation takes 6 years. unless you do it wrong or don't have free time to work on it.

Who said anything about six years, I'm talking like 4. =p Nah, I'm just really not sure, this completely new to me and I'm learning as I go. While this is kind of a trial and error thing for me, I don't want to waste my time creating a piece of crap so I'm taking my time to at least try to get things right. Since I really don't know how what I'm doing right now is going to effect the finished product exactly, there's a good chance I'm screwing something up anyways. Another words, we'll see. Once I start getting into adding objects in I'll probably have a better idea.

Once I start getting into adding objects in I'll probably have a better idea.

Exactly, sometimes you flow and build cities in a day, other times you struggle and they take weeks.

My real life terrain has 2 quarries, what a bitch they are to carve out and look decent, 3 nights i've been doing one ..... ahhh

The guy that did Bornholm said he spent roughly 5000hrs and that was a real life map, even if it was huge, pretty sure he had a heightfield already generated. It's a little different when creating a Frankenstein and have to completely customize your heightfield map.

The guy that did Bornholm said he spent roughly 5000hrs and that was a real life map, even if it was huge, pretty sure he had a heightfield already generated. It's a little different when creating a Frankenstein and have to completely customize your heightfield map.

His hieghtfield was from Geo DEM data (satellite topography/hieghtmap), I have a few unreleased/unfinished terrains using DEM data,. Although it's cool to re-create an existing place in the world, I prefer the option of a custom terrain that you can edit where necessary for map features / to your liking, hense the terrain I am working on is purely fictional - gives you an artistic licence to do what you want :)

well good luck man. hopefully we will still be around by the time you release this beast. pictures look good to my untrained eye...

Thanks, it's nice to see people taking interest in what you're working on and definitely affects ones priorities. With that said I'm open to criticism, I'm not scerd.

A few have been very helpful, including raymix who offered some invaluable advice, thank you.

Well looks like I'll have a little more time to work on my terrain, cancelling my POS internet since I can't get service that actually works. So much for playing EpoCH or running a server for that matter.

cring0 can you add any railway tracks please?

hopefully we will have a working-fast-enough-MP-compatible train by the time you finish. I am planning to write some train script of some sorts one day. please make sure my tracks ready by then :D

EDIT this to my resource document: How NOT to implement trains in Arma http://www.moddb.com/mods/city-life-rpg/videos/train-system

Oh, well I had tracks in place but they lead to dead end arma tunnels lol.  The terrain is just a little too crazy and not a lot of room.  If I ever get done with this one though and I'm not 90, I'ma do a big map, and maybe my great grandchildren can put in a train system.

Thanks =] I didn't want it to be too fakey, but I didn't want it to be too realistic either because, well, with the limitations of Arma it seems those maps usually end up being a little boring.

One of the big things that bothers me about some other maps are roads that change direction for no good reason, again something you see a lot with real maps like bornholm. All you really have to do is put some kind of object down so that it appears the road is wrapping around it, trees, some rocks, or even small hills or mounds. I don't want my maps to be like that. I want it to make sense to stay on the roads. If you're getting around quicker by going off road then your road mapping is broken.

Hopefully all the big hills I put in will work with trees. I expect I'll have to come back to the height map once I start putting some objects down. I'll have to anyways to work the bridges in I'm sure.