Preview: Ghost of Chernarus Epoch-Specific Map Pack

Charlatan

Thank you Charlatan!

My players didn't like my bridge because it has no adjacent roads leading up to it :/

Such a hassle. Time to learn how to make roads.

edit: Wow, the road placement is just COMPLETELY retarded. Nothing makes sense, at all. I guess I'll just have to wait until you do it. Because holy fucking shit, o.0

My players didn't like my bridge because it has no adjacent roads leading up to it :/

LeL tell those Princesses to drive over the damn grass, they ask for proper traffic connections in a Zombie Apocalypse ? :P

However, I can help you fix the roads Fisk, it's actually not as bad as it looks, there's 2 things you require to know about it tho.

If you want to keep up with your plans, we can check out the roads via Twitch and/or teamspeak

I was joking i know what you are talking about.. was doing some custom stuff lately for my new Panthera server and you actually have to go in and change everything manually again o.o I hope they can fix that at some point

Wops my bad, kinda distracted atm.

Hehe, well, I ended up scrapping my ugly bridge and used the Excelsior bridge (here: http://opendayz.net/threads/excelsior-bridge-v1-2-chernarus.10798/ )

They of course complained about that too, they think it lacks context/logic, a bridge built in the middle of nowhere leading to a useless island.

And since I'm using that thing I can't actually add roads anymore because it's not loadable into the map editor :)

Is there some Skype/Steam/IRC thing where I can get a hold of you Charlatan?

edit: Found a really useful road editor here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?128340-Road-Painter-2

edit2: So that generated a whole bunch of "[["ROAD_0","HOMJ_RP_Road_BIS_asf3",[[myPlayer,"HOMJ_asf3_6konec",[[13000,3803.97,0.00194645],148.499],[[13003.2,3798.64],148.499],0,[6.25],"HOMJ_RP_Road_BIS_asf3"],[myPlayer,"HOMJ_asf3_6",[[13003.2,3798.64],148.499]," etc. - which I don't even know how to use :S

They of course complained about that too, they think it lacks context/logic, a bridge built in the middle of nowhere leading to a useless island.

I'm sure your maps are nice, if they complain, let them make it better themselves!

As for context/logic. I partially agree, tho the area doesn't allow for much else.

The solution I have found is making it an improvised bridge, my map addition there will be called "Skalisty Scrap Bridge".

It's a makeshift path of plates and wooden boards across rocks and stuff eventually connecting to a little harborlike structure.

Sent you my contact data for Steam.

We've been running your map changes for a week now, and I'd like to relay the feedback I've gotten:

NEA: Awesome changes! Really adds to the post apocalyptic theme and atmosphere. The wire/sandbag fence at the trader makes it very difficult to place a C130 within range, they would like that to be fixed somehow.

Stary Sobor: Again, very fitting of the theme, but they think that there should be a way to sneak inside from the south barn as well. They wonder why there now are two barns there, they think one should be removed.

Klen: Perfect! This makes sense and fits in, perhaps the most liked change of them all.

Bash: It's different, and the "tree village/resort" feels comfortable, but not so post-apocalyptic. 

Bandit camp: Feels and looks like a tivoli. Is this really bandit territory? The race track feels out of place, and so does the general mood of the place. Graveyards, piles of dead, wire fences and dead trees, sniper positions, crashed vehicles spread out and people hanging from trees is more like it.

Thanks for the feedback Fisk !

Alternative Versions to accomodate your players may come in the future.

Tho some points are unclear:

NEAF:

Are you sure nobody buildt additional stuff there ? My changes should not interfere with straight landing space for planes at all. My new walls are placed outside the (for the C130 indestructible) Vanilla Map Fences, and the walls around the Dealer were too low to collide when I tested. Either way an alternative Version with reduced "walling-in" is already under work for a while.

Stary:

Can't remove the second barn, it's from the vanilla Chernarus Map, which shouldn't be changed.

Bash:

Exactly what I think. Re-considering Bash every now and then.

Bandit Trader:

Depends on what bandits you have on your server, it's a trader area after all, ours are rather the mischievous scoundrels than insane psychopaths :P

Regarding the new traders, don't you have to remove the old trader stuff first? For example, in Klen, you have that small castle that the traders are inside. Doesn't that need to be removed for the new Klen to work?

*edit* Never mind. I added it to my server and see how it integrates the current trader city with everything around it. :)

NEAF: Well, I don't think so. There's a "wall" running parallel/in line with the opening to the hangar made out of sand bags and wire fence, with a small gap for a player to run through, it acts as a wall, so when you try to move a C130 close to the salesman it's a bit harder to avoid bumping into that.

Stary: I think they meant that maybe all the mods done to one of the barns should have been done to the existing one, somehow?

Bash/Bandit camp: Well, I agree with my players here and think they feel more like well designed vacation spots than places built out of scrap to protect against hero or bandit attacks, I think the carnival feel in bandit camp is out of place, it is probably one of the places where I will make something myself (without roads though, because fuck roads).

I've decided on the alternative file for the NEAF to gain the extra barracks and I'm using the alternative file for the "Unburied" to get the zombie spawn. IMHO I think Chernarus is still the best looking map out there for DayZ, but I always thought it was unbalanced since most of the traffic found their way to the NWAF. In that respect, the changes to Chernarus for DayZ SA have high value loot at several places on the map.

Anyway, I'll continue to watch this thread for new releases. I'm happy to see that you are working on an update for the Hero trader and other new map updates. Awesome work! On a side note, I started a Epoch Sauerland server this week, but I have been playing on my Chernarus server more just to go to the traders and gawk at how cool they look!

:)

Hey Foar, what do you use to convert your mission output sqf's to the ones you have here? I've been doing it manually, but I figured you might have some nice special quickfix?

Sorry dude ! The manual conversation is indeed the work that takes the most time >_< If properly optimized, that is.

If you only want to get it to work ASAP, you can perform a few search&replace edits in Notepad++ to replace vehicle with BldObj  etc.

Any news on the island? Beyond excited

Except that I'll make Screenshots today, no news yet sorry ! But soon the Hero Trader is finsihed and then I will look more on the Island again.