Preview: Ghost of Chernarus Epoch-Specific Map Pack

Charlatan

lol, kk, deleted BOTH of them lol

You may laugh, but some errors our players found far from funny happened on our old server, before I started mapping. Tracing down the source ended at certain problematic Map Additions (not mine :P). Now that you mention it, "Extra Buildings for Chernarus 2.0" is one of them. You may not see them in the log, but that kind of map .sqf is great for Arma2, but it has errors in DayZ.

I just want to let you know that the only map out there I know, that is properly optimized for DayZ, is the Skallisty Island Bridge.

For the rest... you can send them to me for optimization for DayZ, but I can't upload them in the pack due to permission issues.

You see, there is a reason why I spend so many hours simply optimizing my maps, its not the 100-200 KB you safe in your mission file.

Oh no, I won't burden you with someone else maps.  You have a enough on your plate.   I agree, my mission file is approaching gigantic proportions, lol.  I have some files I'd like to trim down and even remove some structures but when you use someone elses map you have to settle for what you get.  After i get my server running as I'd like I'm gonna look into replacing some of those additions.

BTW, what makes a map properly optimized for dayz?

Why is everyone putting them in their mission.pbo, it's so much easier to put them server side using the server.pbo and this way also keeps the client download to a small size as anything server side isn't downloaded by a client connecting ;-)

Not sure many of us know why or how to do that.

BTW, what makes a map properly optimized for dayz?

Critical optimizations => (Prevents possible significant errors !)

1. All objects have to be defined as building objects, not vehicles (_bldObj)
  2. The lines doing the continous numbering of each vehicle object have to be deleted
  3. All script lines associated to the start and end of a regular Arma2 Map have to be deleted (addons, ambientlife, etc.)

Important optimizations => (These make sure objects are properly placed and rotated. Special options (x/y rotation etc) require this.)

1. The script lines added inside a vehicle INIT have to be moved out into the block, as proper script lines
  2. Any line changing the Up and Dir of an object by Vector Data have to be moved to after any lines regarding Position and Azimut
  3. Variables getting any position data from the object (e.g. position this select 0) have to be changed to the actual integer

Minor optimizations => (Can reduce the file size and server load by roughly 15%)

1. Arma2 Editor often gives out broken Z coordinates. These are identified by containing "e-005". These can simply be deleted.
  2. All but two decimal places of the Azimut can be deleted, the difference is impossible to see
  3. All base Z coordinates equal or effectively similar to 0 can just be deleted.
  4. All base Z coordinates of objects using an additional setPosASL or setPosATL  line can be deleted.
  5. Duplicate setPos lines can be deleted.
  6. Azimut lines can be deleted if the object uses Vector Data for rotation anyway. (setVectorDirAndUp, setVectorDir)

If you don't do any of this, adding maps is a gamble. It may work perfectly, it may have screwed up objects, it may interfere with your maximum vehicle number on the server, or, don't ask me how that is possible, it evidently can interfere with your database. It did so on our old server. Maps may stop accepting any position and rotation when there's more than ~200 objects within one file, or within close range ingame with multiple files.

Damm you fixed the Download. I hope to find new great content :D

Well stary is done soon ;)  Tomorrow I think. Depends on tests.

Hey Charlatan,

great work on the map pack, they make a dull trading post look how they should look in a post apocalyptic time. I thought I would bring to your attention an error I found when coming down the ladder from the pipework in the big red shed you added at Stary. Going up the ladder is perfect but when you return and come down the ladder you get stuck at the bottom of the ladder and need to lie down to release from the ladder. I've added a photo showing the position of the ladder.

Keep up the great work

/fullaholes (Owner/Admin Dayz Epoch server London 185.2.137.132:3391)post-5417-0-98116300-1385930770_thumb.jp

Edit... All your map additions are server side on my server and work flawlessly.

@peipo118

Eeehm is the link updated yet? cause i get nothing new for Stary.. file is rather small too...86kb

Ok weirdly they are not wroking for me either anymore.. just like that : everything good--> boom.....:/

86kb is correct. The map is kinda lightweight, small file size is a positive thing ! :P considering the amount of objects. It'll increase a bit when the actual barricade is back.

Please specify boom  D:    What's not working anymore? Nothing appears?

@thagamersX

does this work on 1.0.2.5?

Yes this is made for 1.0.24 and upwards. It will work on any Epoch Version that has the current modular building system.

@fullaholes

Thanks a lot for the error report, i'm gonna look into it soon. There is some unexplainable positioning error in the whole pipework. I'm considering taking Stary down again for now.

It's especially annoying to fix since these problems don't appear in the editor or singleplayer, only on a fully started server.

Update:

Stary temporarily fixed by removal of the problematic objects. Repairs ongoing !

• All Maps:  In answer to recent posts i've checked through all the maps . They all work on my server - Please re-check how you integrated them into yours!
  • Trader City Stary:  All problematic objects have been removed for now, there's some positioning problem still present. I'll fix it soon

1 => The whole metal pipe barricade        (fixed)
    2 => The climb-able Radio Tower beside the large radar array       (fixed)
    3 => The pipe walkway inside the fortress         (fixed)
    4 => The sandbag-reinforced silo tower at the side of the fortress         (fixed)
    5 => The Metal Barn itself        (fixed)

Now, nearing the completion of the Map Pack, a mysterious position problem appeared. Typical =p

Please continue to report any other borked objects if you find any!

Well i had all of them working fine... Now they don' t appear anymore.. Will add them througha normal execVM command in server function again and see... Had them added through a compile preprocess command before and they worked fine.. But anyway will keep you posted.... They are still awesome !!!!!