Trader Cities Safe Zones ?

Dobrowney

I am up in arms about this one. On one end I would like to see the trader cities setup as safe zones. So you can take your time in the zone selling your junk. Then make a run for the hills. There is a good chance snipers and bandits will be waiting outside the safe zone for ya. But you might have a better chance to live. But without the safe zones it makes the trader cities so scary to goto. Having the risk of even going there is also fun. Wasteland had this in the gun shop. Some mods had them as safe zones and some not. I think both showed pros and cons to it. Just wondering everyone thinks about Trader City Safe Zones?

i think they should be non pvp zones that are protected by AI who attack anyone who attacks and also kills any zombies that come near.

Epoch appears to be trying to get things more realistic but lets face it, the traders would be getting robbed with out protection :)

Some servers already set the traders cities as safe zones (the CPC server is one of them). It's maybe not realistic but as it's just a game it's better for the gameplay as the game mechanics requires sometimes to stay a moment in the city it can be a rest time between 2 deadly expeditions don't you think ?

We have a safezone script that disables weapons within 140m of the trader cities, it also teleports zombies away. Due to bandits camping traders and running over bambis making their first trade we've placed barriers in front of the traders at Bash and stopped vehicle entry and Klen

to install, create a file called "safezone.sqf" in your mission folder with this content:-

//Base protection for Players with Eventhandler
//
//requires Trigger with activation BLUEFOR and OPFOR with name Basis_West and Basis_East
//
// you can't fire out of your own Base
//
//Those who hit or kill Enemy in it's Base, will be killed
//
// Parameters: [name of the side trigger for the Base Area]
//
//Center_West:
//if (playerSide == WEST) then {[Basis_West] execVM "safezone.sqf"};
//
//Center_East:
//if (playerSide == EAST) then {[Basis_East] execVM "safezone.sqf"};

Private ["_Basis","_EH_Fired","_EH_Hit","_EH_Killed"];

_Basis = _this select 0; //Basisname

while {true} do
  {
    //wait until Player is in base, then start Eventhandler
    waitUntil {vehicle player in list _Basis};
    player groupchat "i am in Baseshield!";
    _EH_Fired  = vehicle player addEventHandler ["Fired", { NearestObject [_this select 0,_this select 4] setPos[0,0,0]}];
    _EH_Hit    = vehicle player addEventHandler ["Hit",  {_this select 1 setdammage 1; player setDammage 0; vehicle player setDammage 0}];
    _EH_Killed = vehicle player addEventHandler ["Killed",{_this select 1 setdammage 1}];

_zombies = _Basis nearEntities ["zZombie_Base",150];
_count = count _zombies;

for "_i" from 0 to (_count -1) do
{
_zombie = _zombies select _i;
_zombie setpos [-3367.739,-120.84577,-8247.0625];
};

//wait until Player left base, then delete EventHandler
    waitUntil {! (vehicle player in list _Basis)};
    player groupchat "i have left Baseshield!";
    player removeEventHandler ["Fired", _EH_Fired];
    player removeEventHandler ["Hit",  _EH_Hit];
    player removeEventHandler ["Killed",_EH_Killed];
  }

Place a copy in a new folder called "addons"

Copy the safezone.sqf into the new folder as well so there is two copies
In your mission.sqm file in your mission folder, search for "class sensors"

Replace everything from class sensors to just before "class intro" with the following code:-

class Sensors
    {
        items=6;
        class Item0
        {
            position[]={4053.8501,364.76645,11668.645};
            activationBy="WEST";
            repeating=1;
            interruptable=1;
            age="UNKNOWN";
            name="zonebash";
            expCond="(player distance zonebash) < 150;";
            expActiv="TitleText[""Now entering trader city Bash safe Zone"",""PLAIN DOWN""]; placevault = false;";
            expDesactiv="TitleText[""Now leaving trader city Bash safe Zone"",""PLAIN DOWN""]; placevault = true;";
            class Effects
            {
                soundDet="arabian_market_1";
            };
        };
        class Item1
        {
            position[]={11463.747,317.3078,11349.89};
            activationBy="WEST";
            repeating=1;
            interruptable=1;
            age="UNKNOWN";
            name="zoneklen";
            expCond="(player distance zoneklen) < 150;";
            expActiv="TitleText[""Now entering trader city Klen safe Zone"",""PLAIN DOWN""]; placevault = false;";
            expDesactiv="TitleText[""Now leaving trader city Klen safe Zone"",""PLAIN DOWN""]; placevault = true;";
            class Effects
            {
            };
        };
        class Item2
        {
            position[]={6344.8081,304.99023,7806.7598};
            activationBy="WEST";
            repeating=1;
            interruptable=1;
            age="UNKNOWN";
            name="zonestary";
            expCond="(player distance zonestary) < 150;";
            expActiv="TitleText[""Now entering trader city Stary safe Zone"",""PLAIN DOWN""]; placevault = false;";
            expDesactiv="TitleText[""Now leaving trader city Stary safe Zone"",""PLAIN DOWN""]; placevault = true;";
            class Effects
            {
            };
        };
        class Item3
        {
            position[]={4053.8501,364.76645,11668.645};
            a=140;
            b=140;
            activationBy="ANY";
            repeating=1;
            interruptable=1;
            age="UNKNOWN";
            text="Basis_West";
            name="Basis_West";
            expActiv="if (playerSide == WEST) then {[Basis_West] execVM ""safezone.sqf""};";
            class Effects
            {
            };
        };
        class Item4
        {
            position[]={11463.747,317.3078,11349.89};
            a=140;
            b=140;
            activationBy="ANY";
            repeating=1;
            interruptable=1;
            age="UNKNOWN";
            text="Basis_East";
            name="Basis_East";
            expActiv="if (playerSide == WEST) then {[Basis_East] execVM ""safezone.sqf""};";
            class Effects
            {
            };
        };
  class Item5
        {
            position[]={6344.8081,304.99023,7806.7598};
            a=140;
            b=140;
            activationBy="ANY";
            repeating=1;
            interruptable=1;
            age="UNKNOWN";
            text="Basis_South";
            name="Basis_South";
            expActiv="if (playerSide == WEST) then {[Basis_South] execVM ""safezone.sqf""};";
            class Effects
            {
            };
        };

};
};

I agree with the idea that traders would be robbed blind without protection.

Most the servers I've been on without protection just have bandits murdering people at the traders right and left.  A lot of people just log off after that.

The problem with putting armed gaurds in is that its hard to make them distinguish between friend and foe with zombies, player aggression, ect, it requires alot of tweaking. Not an easy job to do.

The best way to think of the safe zone script is like an invisible army that is preventing killing by presence, hey who said its not fun to use your imagination? 

Like above, people will just leave if they can't trade.. after all one of the main features of Epoch is traders. Like with everything arma, it comes down to positions.. so who ever camps it first runs that area.

Working on an alternative to the teleport script myself as its a major source of server desync due to executing the teleport everytime someone enters, for each person and then checking across the server. My way is nearly done and much much more server desync friendly.

Hey I too am running an epoch server. I used the above safezone script (found on a forum somewhere). The problem i found, people were getting run over lol.

So instead, i rewrote it, so while inside the safe zone, the player gets god mode (this also sorts zombies out).

People still camp outside the zone but that's DayZ...

I am currently looking at adding to Sarge AI, Static Guards that will stay a top lookouts and mow down zombies and warn of bandits alert to bandit presence. (They will shoot through players to get to zombies, unavoidable)

This will not stop Bandits from doing bad things, but should do a nice job of keeping the place secure. Bandits can kill their way into Trader Cities but it will be a challenge.

I will let you know how I progress.

We have a safezone script that disables weapons within 140m of the trader cities, it also teleports zombies away. Due to bandits camping traders and running over bambis making their first trade we've placed barriers in front of the traders at Bash and stopped vehicle entry and Klen

Thanks for sharing. If I ever get access to my mission files over at BloodyDayz, I'll be sure to add this.

I went ahead and modified this code a little bit for my regular Chernarus server and while I get a message that says I have entered the safe zone, my weapon still works. I thought it disabled your weapon while you are in the zone?

Nevermind, figured it out. I had the Sensors section in the wrong place. :)

I have been playing over at CPC-Gaming.eu. I have to say the Safe Trader zones make it nice when moving gear around and selling it . To sell the gear if you have a lot takes a lot of time.  But once you leave that safe zone I think you are more stressed out. It is something about OK I got the cash now what happens if there is a bandit group waiting for me outside the zone. 

I think klen and bash should be safe zones but not stary, make it more bandit oriented so you have a central pvp zone

I don't usually like this kind of thing put after playing in a 50/50 server it's near impossible to do anything, people don't even bother going to the trade centers.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

gotta say id love to see AI that retaliated on players if they shot other players. the only way they would stop their attack would be if the player went 500 away. this emplys they chase players. i think you would need to have ai up in towers that physically could not leave and the fore could stay and protect

side not these ai should be immune to all forms of damage other wise people will just kill em then kill the bambi's.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a couple of thoughts about this, on our server we have safe zones at traders and players have god mode within these zones, but then as soon as people leave the safe zone they are ambushed by peope

i have also seen on domination servers flag poles that will teleport you, i have wondered if maybe this could be implemented into epoch, put it as a trader and people pay 1 gold and are teleported to a random spot within 1km of the trader

I had a couple of thoughts about this, on our server we have safe zones at traders and players have god mode within these zones, but then as soon as people leave the safe zone they are ambushed by peope

i have also seen on domination servers flag poles that will teleport you, i have wondered if maybe this could be implemented into epoch, put it as a trader and people pay 1 gold and are teleported to a random spot within 1km of the trader

what about using MATT L's warpzones

http://opendayz.net/threads/release-warp-zone.12399/

It would be the same sorta thing... but has 10 locations around the map that it teleports too..

just my 2cents

Bags

Getting ambushed leaving a safe zone is part of the game isn't it? 

I mean it is really completely possible to get in and out of a trader zone without a bandit seeing you but you have to implement strategy.  This teleportation thing is just an excuse to not use your head like that bandit is doing. 

I'm ok with safe zones but if its going to be to the extent of magic teleportation to absolutely assure the safety of a survivor then just make the whole map non-pvp.