Trader Cities Safe Zones ?

Dobrowney

I don't have any issues with the safe zones around neutral traders as they are. People who just start playing will have their humanity between -5000 and 5000 and should be guaranteed some degree of protection while they are setting up and haven't had many interactions with players, to determine which way they swing (bandit or hero). The bandit and hero camps however, should not be safe zones. Player's who go here will be seasoned and without spamming blood bags to gain humanity, should be aware that at this level you are purchasing gear that will give you a significant advantage over other players and hence there should absolutely be risks associated with that. If you are in a group it is very easy to do a sweep and secure a perimeter around these camps.

Regarding camping outside the zones, that is a tentative issue. I have personally encountered a situation where people leaving the trader in a humvee were able to shoot me first, before I could shoot them. I received the disabled text as I entered, but due to lag and general armaness they were still able to shoot me on the perimeter and kill me. A fix for this in my opinion is that not only should player's encounter an even more significant loss of humanity when they shoot in the general area around a safe zone (as they are violating player etiquette by doing so), but that if their humanity is too low and they are nearby, AI should try to protect the camp and try kill the bandits until they leave, similar to how npc's will often protect camps if your reputation is too low in most MMORPG's.

I agree with Eegore that ambushing is inherently part of the game, but there is currently no deterrent (other than players) to get these players to leave and every incentive to camp it. You only need to disincentivise camping the safe zones, rather than just put in a restriction to prevent it completely. This still allows smart bandits to camp albeit maybe only in select locations or for a limited period of time. Smart people going to the trader will have strategies to get into the safe zone that develop around this.

The teleportation thing is completely flawed in my opinion, because it doesn't encourage either party (especially those going to the safe zone) to improve their game. Ultimately this is what the essence of DayZ is - continually developing more effective and flexible strategies to staying alive. Not just finding a fancy gun.

It should do, but we've changed over to a script that gives god mode to players in trade areas.

Hi im running a Epcoh server as well.

This this script still works with the latest version?

And do I understand correctly that it give player god mode while in the trade village?

About leaving the area and being ambushed is a part of the game.

Aldo its no fun as your walking with all your money or equipment

It still is a part of the game...

That is if your facing a bandit...

'Friendly?' Is most of the time to late to ask when you see someone standing behind you..

The teleport seems like a good ida but what if I use it couple of time and know

The location where people land.. do we need to protect that as well..?

I think that if we as host provide a save zone where people can trade its a real nice idea..

Getting out of there is the tricky part.

Ideas...

Drive in with a strong car. Lock it and trade. When done leave in the car and you could be save..

Land with heli with some friends as gunners. Make sure you enter the save zone before landing..

Yes they can shoot the chopper from the sky.. they can also sniper you when you walk away...

'Dayz.. survive the Zs world.. struggling with pirates ( bandits ). Kill or be killed. '

If it ain't a Z that kills you.. its He he kills you ( no offence to any lady's playing :) )

I don't have any issues with the safe zones around neutral traders as they are. People who just start playing will have their humanity between -5000 and 5000 and should be guaranteed some degree of protection while they are setting up and haven't had many interactions with players, to determine which way they swing (bandit or hero). The bandit and hero camps however, should not be safe zones. Player's who go here will be seasoned and without spamming blood bags to gain humanity, should be aware that at this level you are purchasing gear that will give you a significant advantage over other players and hence there should absolutely be risks associated with that. If you are in a group it is very easy to do a sweep and secure a perimeter around these camps.

Regarding camping outside the zones, that is a tentative issue. I have personally encountered a situation where people leaving the trader in a humvee were able to shoot me first, before I could shoot them. I received the disabled text as I entered, but due to lag and general armaness they were still able to shoot me on the perimeter and kill me. A fix for this in my opinion is that not only should player's encounter an even more significant loss of humanity when they shoot in the general area around a safe zone (as they are violating player etiquette by doing so), but that if their humanity is too low and they are nearby, AI should try to protect the camp and try kill the bandits until they leave, similar to how npc's will often protect camps if your reputation is too low in most MMORPG's.

I agree with Eegore that ambushing is inherently part of the game, but there is currently no deterrent (other than players) to get these players to leave and every incentive to camp it. You only need to disincentivise camping the safe zones, rather than just put in a restriction to prevent it completely. This still allows smart bandits to camp albeit maybe only in select locations or for a limited period of time. Smart people going to the trader will have strategies to get into the safe zone that develop around this.

The teleportation thing is completely flawed in my opinion, because it doesn't encourage either party (especially those going to the safe zone) to improve their game. Ultimately this is what the essence of DayZ is - continually developing more effective and flexible strategies to staying alive. Not just finding a fancy gun.

There are so many conflicting points in this post. You're for safe zones, but say "Ultimately this is what the essence of DayZ is - continually developing more effective and flexible strategies to staying alive. Not just finding a fancy gun."

Every trader exists to give players a one-up on those who have not visited the trader. That's the point. They're a central focal area where loot becomes currency, and currency becomes power. 

I am against safe zone traders because I feel, as you say, it goes against the essence of what DayZ is at the core. Right now there's a lot of banditry and KOS- the mod needs to come up with mechanics to help discourage that without arbitrary random invulnerability bubbles. Those bubbles can also be exploited.

What I suggest is that we look at adding more traders. It would be awesome to having 'roving' traders similar to in Fallout New Vegas. If you dilute the focus of where bandits know players will be trading, the overall threat goes down. I really don't see a way in which more traders, some closer to the ocean, would be a negative thing to player interaction. 

Gimmic I don't believe you followed my initial post that well. I was advocating for safe zones in the early game while a player does not fall into a particular channel of being a bandit or hero and for removing them late game once they do. I specifically stated that both bandit and hero camps should not offer any protections whatsoever. So my stance was not conflicting, but rather a compromise between both phases. I think that I should also clarify that I am totally for any sort of AI or NPC enforced 'safe zone' in contrast to the existing god mode bubble that has been implemented as you are right that the bubble completely destroys the immersion. The term 'safe zone' was merely implying that for the player it has comforts and a degree of protection from other players that they can enjoy relative to any other part of the map. People who do not have the appropriate humanity/reputation should absolutely be disincentivised from going there. Currently any one with any humanity can sit right next to a trader that they may not even be able to buy or sell from. How does this make sense? 

Another point to raise would be the length of time that trading currently takes and how this would become very disadvantageous if the safe zones are removed. Perhaps speeding up the buying/selling process by use of an improved ui (selling multiple and different items at once), a wallet to contain money and reducing animation times would also go a long way to solving this. I find it is also very much a grind smelting and trading between different tiers of money that really detracts from the enjoyment of the game. I am certain this whole process could be simplified somehow. 

I do like your point with adding more traders. I always wondered why the traders were typically north only. It could be interesting to have a few of these unmarked on the map so that players are compelled to search and look for them to find the best prices for what they are looking for.

Another point to raise would be the length of time that trading currently takes and how this would become very disadvantageous if the safe zones are removed. 

One small comment to make: epoch does not have safe zones, so they are already 'removed' by default. Any servers you've played with them are aftermarket addons. I agree the entire trading process needs an overhaul but that's mostly a separate thread. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I too am running an epoch server. I used the above safezone script (found on a forum somewhere). The problem i found, people were getting run over lol.

So instead, i rewrote it, so while inside the safe zone, the player gets god mode (this also sorts zombies out).

People still camp outside the zone but that's DayZ...

Is it posible to get this godmode? how to edit it so you get godmode?