Sapper lag

BetterDeadThanZed

I've seen a couple threads about this problem, but they are older threads and tend to address a lot of other topics, so I thought I'd create a new post. 

When a Sapper spawns, the whole server stops for a few seconds. This is on my dedicated box, with lots of resources. It's not a hosted server. I haven't checked the box to see if there's a spike in resource usage at the moment it happens, but I thought I'd ask if this is still a known issue?

Is it a normal sapper, boss sapper or both ?

The boss sapper uses earlier AI code and I used to notice a pause when testing.

At the time it was attributed to the model loading on first spawn, if you skip the intro.

Is this from your client ? The sapper spawn shouldn't involve the server beyond the normal antagonist trigger.

Is this a new thing with the recent update and is the server vanilla ?

Cheers for the feedback BDTZ :)

I'm not sure if it's a boss or regular. How can I tell the difference? When it's happened, there were only a few of us on, but the temporary pause happened to everyone. I haven't been running an Epoch server for a few months and I just put this server up when the latest version was released a couple of days ago. The server is mostly vanilla. I added VEMF but it happened before I put that on. Other than that I have no other scripts running.

The boss sapper has a bigger boom and looks much uglier :)

Is likely that the model will load for players that haven't loaded it already.

Is this a one off event, or does it happen ever sapper spawn ? and were you all together, geographically. Or split up over the map ?

If together I suspect you all had the model load. Do you skip the intro when loading Arma ? 

I've encountered this and it was due to running -nosplash, -nointro.  I turned off -nosplash, -nointro on my client and don't experience the hang. Not sure if another client connects with those running if it will hang for for everybody or just that one client while it loads.

I think this is from the custom animations configs the sappers have, I am not sure it is a bug in Arma since the default solider animations are in use already so the load lag is not an issue and once one sapper is spawned it does not lag again on any subsequent spawns. We spawn a sapper in the intro to preload for players however if they have the intro disabled it would lag on first load as well as on the server. 

Maybe I should just add one single sapper that spawns with the NPC traders just so we can get it pre-loaded earlier?