Why do you play a 'violent' video game?

Just read a good article on the motivation and experience of playing a 'violent' military based video game.

Would love to know other players opinions on this?

Why did you choose Arma2/3 Dayz/Epoch mods?

What do you get from it? (Besides the obvious enjoyment)!

Below is the article I read taken from today's on line edition of the UK newspaper The Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/29/can-pacifist-enjoy-military-gaming-violence

Violence is defined by the World Health Organization as "the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, which either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment, or deprivation"

No video games are violent under this definition. Hence, I do not play "violent" video games.

Violent video game is an oxymoron. It may portray violence, but games are no more violent than thoughts. There are violent games in real world that many people cheer for, but video games are not in that category. Just enter into google violent game, and most results will be about video games which cause NO VIOLENCE whatsoever. Now try to find some information about violence in other sports, like boxing, bull fights in spain and other animal abuses, jeez, even fishing or hunting for fun is more violent than any video game. Do people talk about those games people play? No, because they think it is "tradition" or it is "what makes a man a man" and other nonsensical justifications.

The brain washing on internet is strong.

P.S. People thinking that so called "violent" video games cause violence should start rethinking their values and actually trying to put some work into it and educating themselves. Hitting children as a form of "discipline" (in US it is called spanking) is so much more damaging to childs mind than all the games in the world combined. Also school violence, prison violence. Police violence, military violence. Wow, so many things to think about, but of course, easiest way is just to ignore elephant in the room and keep pointing out at games.

name one non-casual/peasant game that has no violence :)

Also silently slicing enemy throats in good old Tenchu games on psx... mmm best childhood ever.

Dayz for fear factor and adrenaline on hardcore.

My son worried my wife and I with the way he got gratification from bashing in the heads of whores in one of the GTA games, and now he's 18, written a book, and is on course to get three As at college, which will allow him access to one of England's finest universities to study physics. 

Blame the parents, not the video games.