0.3.0.1 Partial Server Performance FIX +INFO for DEVS

DirtySanchez

So over the past few days that we have had the public 0.3.0.1 B17 running, we have noticed the extreme amounts of antagonists and some other little quirks here and there static weather example cough cough.....

However the biggest one for helping performance actually came from testing what would happen if I did this and that kinda stuff.

So lets get to the test.

Changed the epochconfig.cpp to have the antagonists spawn 0.01% for all 3 options

No change in amount of antagonists......

So then I said F it and made it 0 percent, remembers seeing lists of antagonists in the loot.h file and removed them from all lists associated.

At this point the epoch code should have no idea wtf to spawn in because there are no names and no percentages.

On top of that they were turned to a 0 percent chance of spawning, yet there they are still......

The better news is that it does reduce the amount of ANTAGONISTS and it does help with Server FPS.

Hope this info helps you guys.

Each of these are after 2 hours of uptime with a bunch of addons and scripts

Yesterday 73 players Server FPS 8

Today 70 players Server FPS 18-23

65 players, 10 Server FPS but only 50% Root CPU usage.... i could cry...

I was standing as admin at a lonesome island.. was going to piss, after i was back, 3 drones and a KI armada near to me... thats not funny !!!   And i deleted all mission except the SEM......

And this with Antagonists = 0

yep... same here... could cry.... 29 % cpu usage 50-60 player and only 10-15 server fps ?!? root server sleep and the server fps is down ?

removed all epoch ai

removed 10 traders

removed ai mission vemf

removed vehicles

removed containers

removed so much.....

but server fps down, start with 30 players +  :( 

there is something very wrong in the epoch code  since 03, I wanted to write a long feedback tomorrow, and that we should all make !

It is currently only playable for the player if you take out any ai.... and that should not be.

I spoke with AWOL about this, and he believes the ARMA 1.38/1.40-releases could be the major culprit, one thing that is worth experimenting with also is to try to compare server-FPS with the new helicopters and without (suggested by Uro1). Before the Helicopters DLC was released, the performance was much better, and it seems it has become gradually worse. 

AWOL's and my hope currently resides in 1.43 (April 8 release date). Should that not solve things, I believe that successful high-pop servers are going to have to configure their AI and extras on a headless client. 

If you don't have it, I strongly suggest looking into it.

I believe that successful high-pop servers are going to have to configure their AI and extras on a headless client. 

The problem is the AI that actually needs to be offloaded to a HC can't be effectively offloaded to a HC. In our case, the mission based AI has very little impact on server load. It's the unconfigurable Epoch 0.3.0.1 spawned AI  that is causing an undue burden on the server.

I'm hopeful we'll be able to turn it off with the next build. I'd be enthusiastically surprised if an update on the horizon offered a feasible way of moving all Epoch based AI to a HC.

testing it my end as well now... but leaving the phantoms as they wont spawn otherwise (they arent in the anti camper list of antagonists)

What are the phantoms anyways?  A friend and I ran into one last night for the first time and it freaked us out.  We ended up dumping some rounds and an HE grenade into the barn we saw it and then ran off quickly.

In A2 I thought the rain use to suck FPS... 

Seems like Altis is raining 3/4 the time so I guess it's not a big issue in A3.

I do still notice there are a lot of those Tauru's  (or hoever it's spelt) on the map (Altis) over every other chopper.

They seem to be dominating the number of available choppers.  

• 1 month later...