AI MISSIONS?

Diceman

It just adds one more thing to do. I don't know how others are using my script but mine only spawns a mission or 2 for a entire 4 hour restart. Like the epicenters, shipping containers, then you have a treasure hunt, ai take down. Its not like it doesn't fit in epoch as my treasure hunt is basically like the shipping containers, it marks it on map and just spawns a container hidden in the woods if you want to go look for it great if not don't. Just gives a few more options. Also seems like everyone wants them. I was the first person as far as I know to have a real working mission system on my server and within minutes of putting it live numerous people came on n stole the files off so obviously I did something right.With in a day or 2 of release there where multiple servers using my stuff so I decided to release for all yesterday. Its on script section of forum if anyone is interested

anything ran client side gets ran by every players when they join. so say theres 3 of you guys on server and your at mission and you take out all but one ai. then a new player joins then there mission scripts runs and bam the mission basically starts over for them so the ai will respawn and the vehicles will respawn. so client side basically 2x the mission everytime player joins. server side just the server runs the mission once so there is only the one mission

maybe i have missunderstand your question .. is it why running scripts serverside or why we want missions on epoch in gerneral ?

for mission in epoch @ general :

i love to play pve .. and your epoch is more -imho- pvp ..

i miss the zombies from epoch2 .. not the zombies themself ..

more the action when you are alone looting that you have still to fight.

For me it is also a little the story behind .. so i try to arm the military stations with the background that some militias have also survived and control the Armystations. 

its not just .. loot until onother human player disturbs you .-. its more fight for survive.

Also driving on altis around without any other npc then some Dogs and antaghonists is a little bit "sad" ;)

Why run missions server side, we have no problem with people making missions, your own mods added on, so long as our code stays put and not copy and pasted to the addon mod. A lot of thought has been put into making the mod editable and expandable without the need to mess with the core mod code.

So is there no way to manage the missions state for new players, no way to communicate between different clients? Would make for a pretty dull multi player game if that was the case? 

The server will clean up any unowned units, work with it rather than against. Performance is king.

Hint over :)

Why run missions server side, we have no problem with people making missions, your own mods added on, so long as our code stays put and not copy and pasted to the addon mod. A lot of thought has been put into making the mod editable and expandable without the need to mess with the core mod code.

So is there no way to manage the missions state for new players, no way to communicate between different clients? Would make for a pretty dull multi player game if that was the case? 

The server will clean up any unowned units, work with it rather than against. Performance is king.

Thank you for the hint I get what your saying well see what I can whip up now

ha ya that's what happened the first hour I put the mission system up

Have had work, still in development, taken the same way, was too trusting and let someone on my private test server. Shit happens and it really means very little.

To be honest anyone that takes work that way will always be playing catchup with the original developer.

Keep updating and keep it out there, put your name in the comments and don't sweat others borrowing your code, imitation is the ultimate compliment.. so long as they credit ;)

Great question. I actually want to run and make a mission script because I enjoy scripting it. I like how it's structured and it's moderatley hard. I helps me learn how to code better. It involves many different tasks such as loops, ifs, whiles etc. 

I run it server side so that it cuts down on the data that clients need to download basically. It's also for convenience sake, I don't want to repack pbo's everytme I make a change and I don't want to go through sub-directories. I just put the files in the main root folder and edit away. 

There are ways to communicate via clients actually. One way is to use AI's. I know a few servers who run an antihack that bases itself around this. However, the server despawns the AI instantly so using them would not be that effective. 

Missions add a degree of teamwork and socialization if I may say so. I personally believe and think of it as dungeons from World of Warcraft. They are ment to be difficult and are ment to need a group of players or a be a strong player in order to clear and loot. It should pose dangers and also bring people together or create conflicts. I believe that mission systems server a greater purpose than just boxes with loot. It gives the players something extra to do, over the regular things like gathering supplies etc.  

The biggest reasons for doing so server side is being able to keep your mission file size down for connecting clients and avoid many BE filter issues. I'm kind of surprised that Epoch seems designed to have AI spawn anywhere but the server considering how many changes I have had to make to my filters in order to not have the spawning client get kicked. For security purposes I would rather not add anything for clients to be able to run if not necessary. It actually got to the point that I stopped keeping track once I had DZMS up and working and why many people doing tuts/missions on here have avoided even giving them out or posting them.

That's designed for doppelganger disposal, I would expect additions to that so wouldn't make it a basis of a working AI system. You might find AI randomly attacking you, just saying..

Why dont you just add an exception then? Make it so it doesn't delete units in the RESISTANCE side group for example. That would save a lot of trouble. Unless there is another reason as to why everything gets deleted.