I had to register JUST to post my thoughts on this. I've been following this whole situation closely for a long time, and to be brutally honest, it has to stop.

I understand that the Epoch developers (and others in the community) have a problem with the donation-focussed way that CCG run their servers, and there's a persistent debate as to whether or not they're running a pay-to-win server network, but one thing that needs to be remembered is that Maca himself is a scripter first and foremost.

I've never met the guy, but I've made good use of the scripts he's provided the community with on the server I'm a scripter for (a PVE server, so I have no personal feelings towards CCG one way or another, as we're not competing with them for players), and I daresay there aren't many of you out there who HAVEN'T used some of his work at one point or another.

On the other hand, I use DayZ Commander for launching my game, and wouldn't use the CCG-specific launcher if you paid me, due to the fact it doesn't play well with delta patching and importing previously downloaded mods without jumping through hoops. I haven't tried out DayZ Launcher in any depth yet, but from what I've heard it's a better solution, and - more importantly - the ONLY solution for getting on 125548 servers easily.

As far as I'm concerned, this whole situation has gotten out of hand, and we need a solution. I personally feel that the Epoch developers have a duty to the community to throw their support behind one launcher or the other, so that we have a definitive answer as to what everyone should be using. By fragmenting the community (it's currently fragmented into 103718, 112555, and 125548 players, due to this madness) it's killing some servers, and killing the community as a whole.

At the moment, we're doing pretty well on 112555 (at least 30 people online most days), but due to the insane amount of bugs with it we REALLY want to upgrade to 125548; talking every single player through the process, however, isn't exactly a cakewalk.

So, my suggestion is, instead of Dotjosh and Maca releasing their own launchers, why not fold them BOTH into the Epoch development team and let them collaborate with each other and yourselves. This will help put the future of Epoch (and DayZ Mod as a whole) on a secure footing, and allow Maca's work with Epoch benefit the entire community. Personal or business bias aside, you have to admit that he's a very, very good scripter and would be an asset to the Epoch team.

Anyway, this is just my opinion, and for all I know, Maca and Dotjosh may simply not be interested in any such deal. All I'm saying is, if it's possible to leave the personal and business stuff out of it, and focus on peoples' skills and potential contributions, then we could have a solution which benefits everyone.

DayZ Launcher is very "Epoch- centric", where as DayZ Commander covers all popular DayZ mods of Arma 2OA

For this reason, I don't think either Maca or Josh would (or should some say) become involved in something that could favour one mod over another.

i'd suggest you read some more about the current situation and wait a few hours

I'm aware that DotJosh is "currently working on an update for DayZ Commander", but that's more or less irrelevant at this point. Without community endorsement of one launcher or the other, we've still got a fragmentation issue. And whilst both projects remain in the hands of individuals rather than the community, we're still at risk of this situation happening all over again.

EDIT: I just want to re-iterate that I'm NOT suggesting that Epoch "take sides" in all of this... whilst that may be the only viable outcome, I'd much prefer both Maca and Dotjosh folded into the team and work together on one consolidated project.

Clearly Maca's cracked the Steam master server stuff, and Dotjosh has a tried and tested delta patching and update system; the trick would be integrating the two to create one single product, which could be promoted by the Epoch team as the recommended solution for keeping your servers and clients up and running. Hell, you could even integrate server management into it, so it's a one-stop shop for both end-users and server owners.

DayZ Launcher is very "Epoch- centric", where as DayZ Commander covers all popular DayZ mods of Arma 2OA

For this reason, I don't think either Maca or Josh would (or should some say) become involved in something that could favour one mod over another.

I fully agree with you, but there's nothing to say that the Epoch team couldn't maintain a project which was bias-free. After all, a launcher's very EXISTENCE benefits the Epoch community, regardless of whether Epoch is one of many options in it, or the only one. I'm not suggesting a total shift in focus or anything like that, just that full support is given to the chosen launcher.

Epoch is the de facto standard in DayZ servers these days, and in the absence of a "DayZ Foundation" or whatever, if someone has to step up, it might as well be the Epoch guys :)

Dont like it? Dont read it.

Cheers :)

You know what, the last guy said the same. Check out what happened to his thread: B)

I don't have a problem with this thread getting locked, because if it gets locked, it'll have been read by one of the Epoch guys. I'm not trying to cause controversy or stir up trouble with this thread, I'm just making a suggestion as to how this situation could be resolved, put behind us, and actually make the future better for the entire community.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as my proposition is read by vbawol or any of the rest of the team, I'll be satisfied. Whether they act on it or not is their call, just wanted to put my suggestion across :)

It's somewhat broken I'm afraid. Forces the update to 125548 for some people, mis-detects 112555 as 125548 (thus locking out 112555 servers with "Wrong Arma 2 Version" ticked), and doesn't actually query Steam properly so that servers don't show up.

After all the wait, I expected more tbh :-(