Incoming Steam Update with SteamID + Databases, Server admin discussion

Uro

This is a thread purely for server owners and the Database / PlayerUID / SteamID question/discussion.

With the incoming inevitable Steam Update due to GameSpy shutting down there's one issue that is going to cause us headaches and that is the database/hive side of Epoch servers.

In the Steam patch every player now has a Steam ID (Just like in A3) and no longer has a PlayerUID.

Every player will login to the game as a fresh spawn and anything tied to thier PlayerUID will be lost as they are now joining the server with their Steam ID instead.

I have tested the Steam patch with a copy of my live database on a my test server and your SteamID does replace your PlayerUID in the DB.

What this means is every player loses their Humanity, Kills, Backpack, Inventory, etc and everything else related to their PlayerUID in the database.

Is there anything we can do to calculate and convert all the PlayerUID's in our databases to the new SteamID format?

Aside from obviously waiting for players to login with thier new SteamID and then changing thier old PlayerUID to the new SteamID manually  :wacko:  :rolleyes:

With 6000+ Epoch servers and who knows how many unique players in each one of those database's the task could get quite laborious, especially for highly populated servers.

Without this or an ability to do this, we are through no fault of our own, effectively wiping the content of the player_login, player_data and charater_data tables from our databases and every server will be starting with fresh characters.

Regarding BE

Battleye has backwards compatibility for GUID's which still exist with the Steam patch, therefore all GUID Bans still work.

So BE bans etc aren't an issue and are already being discussed in other threads here.

I dont want anything in this discussion that isn't related to the DATABASE side of Epoch Servers and Steam ID's as it will dilute/hijack this discussion to something irrelevant.

So please stay on topic, thanks :)

That thread is kinda obsolete since you find all informations in here:

No, you cant predict the new SteamID. Tell your players in MOTD to save their stuff in safes. You could help them getting their stats and gear back but that is up to you and admin/db work. Some here think its an nightmare, but I think they are just lazy or dont know their tools.

So yes, that actually means you have to do something as an admin. Suprise!

Not really obsolete, I started this thread to get server admins heads together to see if there's an easier way / method nobody has thought of yet. 

If BE can compute a SteamID from a GUID then there is a way to work out PlayerUID > SteamID via GUID.

It would require some reverse engineering or some help from the people at Battleye.

So no this thread is not obsolete.

And as for your lazy admin comment, I actually do a lot of things as an admin, I release things to the community and actively contribute to the Epoch code as well.

I don't just go round posting uneducated responses to peoples threads, like some people on here.

New player entry as in, respawn after death.

What really annoys me is

• Even when connecting to my localhost server I have to start Steam in online mode because in offline mode you'll get 'Player without identity' errors and cannot connect.
  • You cannot ID-lock your safes or vehicles anymore because the SteamID causes an overflow when cast to the int(11) used by ObjectData.CharacterID.

Currently backed up my database so I will at least have chance to sort things out for my players.

Hopefully just get players to get into game with new ID and then find and replace on the database to give them them their old stuff back.

Here's hoping...

Shane

[9:43:46 AM | Edited 9:47:22 AM] David Foltyn: A2: OA 1.63 hotfix beta updated with
- fixed ui (squad url, steamID)
- new command GetPlayerUIDOld
... some more fixes may follow

please don't force old PlayerUID in your next Epoch build as default.. ( maybe as option in the init.sqf if possible )

Thanks to David Foltyn:

check the new OA 1.63 beta (for upcoming hotfix) it has now getplayerUIDold command

A2: OA 1.63 hotfix beta updated with

- fixed ui (squad url, steamID)
- new command GetPlayerUIDOld
... some more fixes may follow

Finally some headway with information from BIS, hope they push this through to the stabel branch asap :D

These new updates won't be on dayz commander or how is this whole thing being dealt with? A lot of players will have trouble updating otherwise.

I spoke to dotjosh today and he told me that he will be updating DZC as soon as gamespy shutsdown. So the new patches and the steam server list will be shown in DZC.

I spoke to dotjosh today and he told me that he will be updating DZC as soon as gamespy shutsdown. So the new patches and the steam server list will be shown in DZC.

When exactly is GameSpy shutting down. I thought it was supposed to be today. 

My server is dead because nobody can connect to it without a bunch of instructions most of them can't follow :(

My server is dead because nobody can connect to it without a bunch of instructions most of them can't follow :(

I have no idea. It should indeed be today but they are sure as hell taking a long time.

Btw this is not true. It's not as soon as gamespy shutsdown but it will be updated.

There was a good post explaining how to update your game to 1.63 but that post disappeared. Luckily I cut and pasted it to my forums, so here it is:

First things first. Update your game client on dayzcommander to patch 1.0.5.1

Now open steam and right click your ARMA2 Opperation Arrowhead and go to properties. DO NOT USE THE BETA VERSION!!!
sKZjZMu.png

Next click the beta tab and set it to Opt-in. This will update your game version.
Jr5gonB.png

All you have to do after that is launch ARMA2 Operation Arrowhead, click expansions and make sure @dayz epoch 1.0.5 is enabled. It will ask you to restart your game. Click OK.  It should look like this in the bottom right of your game.
Jr5gonB.png

When the game reloads just click Multiplayer then click filter. In the Host type the name of your server. Click Ok and the server should pop up.

So... players are going to lose all their stuff that's tied to playeruid's? Hmmm what is that though. I mean, most things are tied to characterid, which obviously will be reset (plot poles etc) so I guess we'll need to remove the plot poles and give players some new ones to place (easy enuf via admin tools I guess)...

Anything else?

I mean, so long as they put all their stuff in vehicles/safes (obviously keys in safes!), then they'll fresh spawn and can make their way to their bases to re-gear I guess?

Just picked up about the "getPlayerUIDOld" on the bug report.  This may be good for converting old players characters to new SteamIDs but as new players will not have BIS PlayerUIDs I cannot see how it will work for them.

Does anyone have any info on how it actually works and if it just defaults to the SteamID if the player has no legacy PlayerUID value ?.

Just picked up about the "getPlayerUIDOld" on the bug report.  This may be good for converting old players characters to new SteamIDs but as new players will not have BIS PlayerUIDs I cannot see how it will work for them.

Does anyone have any info on how it actually works and if it just defaults to the SteamID if the player has no legacy PlayerUID value ?.

I would think with the getPlayerUID if a player who doesn't have a PlayerUID it will report back the SteamID instead.

I wouldn't want to rely on the getPlayerUIDOld command for too long though, as it will be classed as legacy support, and like all legacy things they eventually get phased out over time as they are replaced with newer better things :)

where do I get the 125548 patch for my server? we cant figure it out because we need to do the playeruidold otherwise plot poles are fucked along with removing stuff you put down with base building we cant figure out where to get that beta patch