Question for the Devs :) .. Standalone Epoch ?

IReeceI

Not going to be your typical question :)

Just lately i have seen alot of game engines change their rights and how you can use them, Many have become free with little to no royalties involved ! 

Have you guys ever thought about creating a standalone Epoch ? Using Cryengine,UnityEngine Or the unreal engine ect :) 

I think a standalone would be very welcome in the community, As lets be honest as great as Epoch ect is it will always be held back by the ARMAEngine -_- 

Mainly thought of this after watching this video

The map looked amazing and right away thought of base building with Epoch !

Just mainly wanted to know the Devs thoughts and what players think also :) 

See was more than just that video that got me thinking ! 

The Squad just got green light for steam. From the same guys that made the "Battle field 2, Project reality" Mod 

So its really do-able :)

Not to be picky but ,  Project Reality by Black Sands Studio .  http://www.realitymod.com   &  http://worldatwargame.com/

This was discussed a long long time ago and the Dev team has said they want to create their own unique game :)

I did look about but could not  see if this had been asked :) 

Not to be picky but ,  Project Reality by Black Sands Studio .  http://www.realitymod.com

Kinda get what you mean now, But most the devs working on "Sqaud" were indeed the same guys that made "PR" ! So pretty much yeah and no :) Same guys different name :)

Look at what happened to Dayz Standalone ! Arma engine is amazing base for creating mods and other addons like maps, go standalone and all those options are gone! 

Not really, they're using the ArmA 2.5 engine, so with all the experience they had it should of been a walk in the park, rather than a disaster, I'm glad i never paid for my copy.

I know it is based on arma, but can you change map? can you add your own scripts to it? probably yes if you are a determined coder!, but why would I bother when arma 3 is out and it has much better graphics and much better optimized , having said that it might turn out to be the only true survival game out there if they get their shit together!

It's not based on ArmA, it is actully ArmA

ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead used 2.0

Take on helicopters uses 2.5

ArmA 3 uses 3.0

BIS wouldn't license them the A3 engine so they used 2.5, it's the same engine but without what ever 3.0 has that 2.5 didn't, what i'm saying is they have experience with that engine, it's BIS employees working on something they have years of experience with, they just stripped out a lot of features and added a shit tonne of hats :lol:

It's not based on ArmA, it is actully ArmA

ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead used 2.0

Take on helicopters uses 2.5

ArmA 3 uses 3.0

BIS wouldn't license them the A3 engine so they used 2.5, it's the same engine but without what ever 3.0 has that 2.5 didn't, what i'm saying is they have experience with that engine, it's BIS employees working on something they have years of experience with, they just stripped out a lot of features and added a shit tonne of hats :lol:

Gaben would be happy .. Needs more hats lol

But seriously i would not make a standalone on the ArmA engine ! So many more engines out there, That are MUCH MUCH better than ArmA with alot more freedom in tools ! 

Alone on this battlefield, you will not survive.

Squad is an online, team-based military experience where high levels of teamwork and communication are crucial to success.

Built from the ground up in Unreal Engine 4, Squad pits teams of up to 50 people against each other in intense modern day combined-arms combat scenarios. In this realistic environment, the flow of the game is dictated by the players, with organic and emergent gameplay reigning supreme.

I'd agree and I suspect many would as well.

The Arma3 engine is not ideal anymore.

The only problem is it does however provide a lot of the coding that the Epoch Developers may not have the resources to do themselves. 

This is why they went with it but other than it looking nicer it has a lot of the A2 issues carried over.

I really question how it will affect the lifetime of A3E as it seems BI is good at breaking things but again.. to start with an environment generating application and then have to code all the character interaction within that environment would require their team to increase by a lot of skilled coders.

I'd agree and I suspect many would as well.

The Arma3 engine is not ideal anymore.

The only problem is it does however provide a lot of the coding that the Epoch Developers may not have the resources to do themselves. 

This is why they went with it but other than it looking nicer it has a lot of the A2 issues carried over.

I really question how it will affect the lifetime of A3E as it seems BI is good at breaking things.

lol go play Batltefield 4 and see how that engine runs! H1Z1 sucks ass and the map is tiny. Arma is awesome! every game has glitches, I doubt any other engine will run better running the map size and all the events that Arma runs! 

If you want to try other engines try H1Z1...! 

lol go play Batltefield 4 and see how that engine runs! H1Z1 sucks ass and the map is tiny. Arma is awesome! every game has glitches, I doubt any other engine will run better running the map size and all the events that Arma runs! 

If you want to try other engines try H1Z1...! 

Planetside 2 is the same engine as h1z1 is it not? and each of the continents are huge.

With 1000s of players on concurrently.

PS2 runs very well considering this, provided you aren't using a potato for a CPU at least :P

Then again, same can be said about Arma.

Although I don't think I'd like to see how Arma would handle a player count as high as planetside 2. My server fps drops enough at 40 players, don't want to imagine 1000 lol

When I first got involved with this project I asked AWOL what his plans were. He told me this, I plan on making a mod for Arma 2 and releasing it, then Arma 3 if they make it. Then after that if we could, make our own game.

I've started playing with the UE4 engine and have made some progress, but it's a far cry from where I want to be. I spend at least 8 hours a day learning what I can and continue to progress. In time I hope to be a valued asset of the team and make something everyone can enjoy for a long time.

So far I've figured out how to make/setup particles for animations and control them. I can make blend spaces with animations and link them to movement keys to get a character to move. I've imported a heightmap I made and learned how to fill in the map with objects/meshes. I've learned how to create my own assets within UE4 and Blender. Currently I'm working on making my own animations and I will eventually create my own skeleton and rig.

I must say UE4 is super intuitive once you get the hang of it and the tutorials only leave you wanting to do more with the knowledge to do it.

When I first got involved with this project I asked AWOL what his plans were. He told me this, I plan on making a mod for Arma 2 and releasing it, then Arma 3 if they make it. Then after that if we could, make our own game.

I've started playing with the UE4 engine and have made some progress, but it's a far cry from where I want to be. I spend at least 8 hours a day learning what I can and continue to progress. In time I hope to be a valued asset of the team and make something everyone can enjoy for a long time.

So far I've figured out how to make/setup particles for animations and control them. I can make blend spaces with animations and link them to movement keys to get a character to move. I've imported a heightmap I made and learned how to fill in the map with objects/meshes. I've learned how to create my own assets within UE4 and Blender. Currently I'm working on making my own animations and I will eventually create my own skeleton and rig.

I must say UE4 is super intuitive once you get the hang of it and the tutorials only leave you wanting to do more with the knowledge to do it.

Sounds great :) Theres alot of similar games to ARMA using UE4 ! It would be the ideal basis for a standalone :)

Im sure it is in your roadmap at some point :)

And for everyone of course it wont be quick, And it will take alot of time :) But im pretty sure the end result would be MUCH better than what they can get on A3 :)

Whilst it is tempting (I am also doing a A3 total conversion mod with Raymix) ... there are a number of advantages with ArmA 3;

• A simple (if flawed) farily easy to pickup and use scripting language
  • The fact that BIS provide a wealth of in game assets which alone would take a long time to build. 

Sure there is Unreal marketplace but I would be surprised if you would be able to pickup the assets players would expect to see in a Epoch SA game just from there.

Does anyone know what the fuss is about Planet side 2 engine is?

it looks cartoony! and the viewing distance looks about 200m max! so if we are going to compare engines lets compare them setting by setting, does anyone know what the max view distance is in plant side 2? the game looks shit if you compare it to Arma 3 and so does H1Z1 ...!