Is there a Dayz/Epoch mod for Arma 3 that's has the zombie vibe?

zombieland78

I've been keeping an eye on Arma 3 to see if there's ever a decent version of DayZ Epoch or similar.

Found a couple of videos but nothing satisfactory.

Either there's no zombies, it's far too militaristic or it's on Altis, which for me is the least zombie-like setting for a zombie game.

I'm one of the minority who like to keep military things on low priority but zombie horror on high priority (simply because tanks, helis and combat gear can all be played with in a thousand other non-zombie games).

So yeah, just wondering what the future holds for Arma 3 and the above.

This is the main reason why I dropped A3 Epoch from our dedi.

This is too much like a base defence game. You get killed they wreck your base, you realiate.... rinse and repeat.

no different to A2 epoch then??

i'm loving A3 epoch, even how it is atm with it's building/vehicle bugs. this is sure going to kill off DayZ SA once and for all, then BI can put even more effort in to adding to A3

Agreed, there's going to be no "killing off", that assumption is laughable.

A3 Epoch is really nice but myself and the players I used to play it with regularly had a much shorter "honeymoon period" with it when we put a server up recently - even compared to our 6th, 7th or whatever A2 Epoch server. It's got good features, but is understandably lacking a lot of the depth & survival features of A2, DayZ Mod, DayZ Standalone and other games / mods. Find it bewildering when people are that much up this mod's arse, at this stage anyway.

Agreed, there's going to be no "killing off", that assumption is laughable.

A3 Epoch is really nice but myself and the players I used to play it with regularly had a much shorter "honeymoon period" with it when we put a server up recently - even compared to our 6th, 7th or whatever A2 Epoch server. It's got good features, but is understandably lacking a lot of the depth & survival features of A2, DayZ Mod, DayZ Standalone and other games / mods. Find it bewildering when people are that much up this mod's arse, at this stage anyway.

I also agree, i just find myself confused to which map i want to play, if i am honest Altis does not have the same feeling! does not fit the theme, but then again i am not sure what epoch theme is anymore...

Cherno graphic look worse than in A2!!! and way over played!

I mean no disrespect to the epoch team, they are a very talented technical team that is obvious, but this mod lacks a clear story line, and feels like the story line what i thought it would be isn't where the mod is going...

I think antagonists and the idea behind them is somehow miss match to what i thought the story line was going to be, it very much feels like a wasteland kinda game just with the added things here and there. I KNOW ITS ALPHA but ..... look at what we have:

a gun that you shoot with, reparis your vehicle, revives you, and heals you ....WHATTTT!!. OKAY  :huh:

This is not to mention the lock system for vehicles (keys) and doors (lock code) was way better than unlocking things using group method!!  Lock system that magically is locked for 30 mins or whatever time, before another group can take over!   :wacko:   :blink:

I guess they have there work cut out for them on arma 3 and I feel for them, I say so because lets face it the survival side of things and zombies was already there for them when they created dayz epoch, it was done on a relatively stable and a well established mod with a big community behind it Dayz mod that is., and the combination worked very well......  Antagonists design and ideas of what a  survival feel isn't their strongest point, I am sorry alpha or not, its just not there, to make it clear its not the quality of things I am complaining about its the idea behind it all, that has nothing to do with it being Alpha or not....

I like the idea of new enemies as zombies are already done and overused. However in the servers i have tried there has been an extreme lack of said enemies encountered...think i have played around 10hrs and have only seen two sappers. Yes there are servers that run missions with bandits but i can do those same missions without the mod. There is no terror or urgency to find the right loot because the enemies arent there.

I've been keeping an eye on Arma 3 to see if there's ever a decent version of DayZ Epoch or similar.

Either there's no zombies, it's far too militaristic or it's on Altis, which for me is the least zombie-like setting for a zombie game.

I'm one of the minority who like to keep military things on low priority but zombie horror on high priority (simply because tanks, helis and combat gear can all be played with in a thousand other non-zombie games).

I agree with you a lot in one regard and a little in the other. Yeah, zombie or some "danger vibe" should be a thing in such mods and I really liked Epoch and would like to know too if there are zombie servers. I mean, AI is so rare in Epoch that you can not see it or meet it for days.. Let alone the players itself.

But I do not quite agree with the map. I always had love-hate relationship with altis. I hated that it is too big and love it that it is bigger than other maps, because one of the problems was that I knew very little about the map, without the map in my inventory I will be lost in no time. I am fed up with Chernarus up to my bones. I realized it when I tried to install and play with AiA pack. And Altis brings novelty and some disorientation everytime, that's why I keep going back to it. I hated the terrain, but then again, the detail is amazing of the map itself.

Altis would be "zombie like" country if those zombies would have different models, like making them all arabs or something, or even aliens, not zombies. A land infected by aliens. It does not matter that much, I think. It is still AI you need to destroy. Sappers, cultists, they are so rare that I only met them like literally 4 times in my 20-30 hour playtime on Epoch right now. Just yesterday I met a drone for the first time!

I guess, just my needs are not the same as yours, as I kinda do not care much about zombies, just AI enemies and making them more frequent.

I think antagonists and the idea behind them is somehow miss match to what i thought the story line was going to be, it very much feels like a wasteland kinda game just with the added things here and there. I KNOW ITS ALPHA but ..... look at what we have:

a gun that you shoot with, reparis your vehicle, revives you, and heals you ....WHATTTT!!. OKAY  :huh:

This is not to mention the lock system for vehicles (keys) and doors (lock code) was way better than unlocking things using group method!!  Lock system that magically is locked for 30 mins or whatever time, before another group can take over!   :wacko:   :blink:

Well, it is set in a future, so anything can be possible. I would still though prefer if it had some story between antagonists, as they seem to be out of place. There are drones with their squads - ok, then in night appear sappers and cultists - what's the deal with them? Aliens? Clones?

Because I've always been interested in the classic zombie side of things, and no one has ever really done this (despite many zombie games, many survival games WITH zombies... you'd think they would have by now), I have had the idea of making my own mod some day. 

Wondering what would be the best platform for that? Wait until SA is moddable? Arma 2 is getting out of date and from what I gather Arma 3 might not have the audience or established zombie enthusiasts?

Because I've always been interested in the classic zombie side of things, and no one has ever really done this (despite many zombie games, many survival games WITH zombies... you'd think they would have by now), I have had the idea of making my own mod some day. 

Wondering what would be the best platform for that? Wait until SA is moddable? Arma 2 is getting out of date and from what I gather Arma 3 might not have the audience or established zombie enthusiasts?

I would go with Arma 3. DayZ is already about zombies and crafting more than PvP since they removed all military loot, removed holding breath function and added stupid unrealistic weapon sway.

Arma 3 did it right. It is hard to snipe but possible. In DayZ sniping is like having an intercourse with a cactus. Don't get me wrong, I am not some random DayZ hater. I just realized that after 1 year they are moving more into H1Z1 direction than I want it to be. DayZ mod was too militaristic, and DayZ SA becomes too cartoony and parody of itself. I still like the movement of players and the feel in it better than Arma 3, but anyway.

So I would go with arma 3 as it has much more possibilities. It just need some good AI, that's it. It already has weaponary and vehicles and shit. Just needs and AI. DayZ SA needs everything and I think, it needs a new map too.

As you probably know

A2 Epoch is a server mod based on DayZ Community Edition. http://epochmod.com/a2dayzepoch.php

A3 Epoch is an Open world survival mod set in the year 2035, Just two years after the mass extinction of billions of people. Those that remain are left with remnants of a once technological society.

See the difference ?

Both made from  a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_shooter , not surprizing they have guns in them :)

one of the problems is that anyone under the age of 30 is all about fast zombies. Us oldies are all about undead zombies. Two very different genres. And the vast majority of purchases are in the under 30s, as are the vast majority of game devs.

Problem is, the squeakers with their random KOS-for-fun attitude are among those lot too.

So I feel we need a more mature version of the game where the PvE aspects are at the forefront. Hell, the Walking Dead have it right and that's a modern show. 

Bottom line: make the engine able to manage 50+ zombies in one place at one time. Somehow. Maybe we'll have to wait until 2020 for such technology to be available. But none of this 1 zombie sprinting after you bullshit.

Remember that the adrenaline factor (and consequent enjoyment) in dealing with enemies can be about the horror, doesn't just have to be about the sheer skill of killing them. In other words, let's have to kill 20, each one fairly easily, but difficult to manage the numbers, as opposed to one or two that just won't fucking die. The former creates tension, the latter frustration. 

one of the problems is that anyone under the age of 30 is all about fast zombies. Us oldies are all about undead zombies. Two very different genres. And the vast majority of purchases are in the under 30s, as are the vast majority of game devs.

Problem is, the squeakers with their random KOS-for-fun attitude are among those lot too.

So I feel we need a more mature version of the game where the PvE aspects are at the forefront. Hell, the Walking Dead have it right and that's a modern show. 

Bottom line: make the engine able to manage 50+ zombies in one place at one time. Somehow. Maybe we'll have to wait until 2020 for such technology to be available. But none of this 1 zombie sprinting after you bullshit.

Remember that the adrenaline factor (and consequent enjoyment) in dealing with enemies can be about the horror, doesn't just have to be about the sheer skill of killing them. In other words, let's have to kill 20, each one fairly easily, but difficult to manage the numbers, as opposed to one or two that just won't fucking die. The former creates tension, the latter frustration. 

Right, you're clearly a Trecky equivalent for the zombie genre. I don't care if they're merely infected or dead, as long as they're a threat. I remember on DayZero getting overwhelmed by zombies in the new hospital with accessible upper floors. I was pinned down by them and I spent every bullet before being torn to shreds. What a fucking experience. They were slow but numerous, so yeah, they work. But once you suss the slow zombies, they become of little threat, so I can't see why there shouldn't be stronger, faster zombies, mixed with older, slower zombies.

yes I guess I am a trecky zombie lover! what would the term be. Living Deady? Undeady. Doesn't quite roll.

But sure, I would be down for different speeds of zombie based on posthumous age.

And I acknowledge the cool experience it can be when you're pinned down. Tell me, are DayZero zombies slow but dangerous? and is that an Arma 2 mod?

I've been playing a very hardcore PvE Namalsk server where there's a ton of crafting, hardly any loot and zombies are slow, numerous and one-shot you easily.

I would prefer to see something new Aliens, Vampires, Werewolves I don't care as long as I feel like time is of the essence and that there is a possible threat around every corner, I would even be happy with the Sappers if they were present in abundance. Maybe I am looking into the wrong mod are there others for Arma3 that isn't zombies?