2.5.1. Food & Drinks

nedfox

The latest patch seems a bit harsh on the need of water en food. 

Are there parameters to edit it? If not, please tune it down a little bit.. You consume more in time, and drinks give you 300 instead of 1000 so ppl are asking me for mobile refrigerators so they can carry more food and drink to survive ..

I noticed last night in 0.2.5 that my thirst was being depleated very quickly compared to food, and cans of pop were only giving 300 each time. The Red Gull gave me 500, but I was always feeling like I was scrambling to find drink.

Sad story but true:  ran around for 8 hours trying to get enough food to build one wall.  Finally got enough to build.  Wall falls on me and kills me.  Respawned with less hunger points than I had.  Depressing.

At least make it so animals spawn more frequently and they give meat every time.

Also, finally finding food but it being a candy bar worth 100 hunger points is frustratingly harsh..

I'm in the same boat as others here. Ran around for 6 hours. Looting a ton of stuff, only managed to find 2 drinks. One was in a loot pile, another was in the corpse of a sapper. By the time I found my first one my thirst was at 0/2500, and had been for a while. The whiskey only gave me +800 which removed the warning indicator in the top right for about 10 minutes till it was down low again. 2nd bottle I found on the sapper, which again gave me +800, but by the time I consumed it I was at 100/2500. Time between couldn't have been more than an hour at most. I was running around the same complex of buildings.

Rolling changelog for 0.2.5.2 shows they're going to increase the amount of thirst restored by beverages. Although I'm grateful they're responding to the issue, I believe the solution they've chosen is not a correct one.

The problem isn't how much thirst we're recovering from drinking beverages, the problem is the consumption rate is too high, and it's too difficult to find beverages currently.

I believe the appropriate solution is:

1) Reduce the amount of thirst lost over time, maybe half it from where it is now

2) Make drinks easier to find

The scarcity of food seems much worse in 5.1 it is not even supporting the food points required to hunt for food which all adds up to a tedious and unrewarding game experience.

A little nod to logic now and then would be an encouraging sign for instance the sheer numbers of high grade military weapons clothing and attachments that are found in domestic houses is ridiculous and yet food items are prominent by their absence and why would you keep paint and smoke grenades in a fridge and why can you not paint vehicles ???

I checked last night...  

Current Hunger lost per second = 3

Current Thirst lost per second = 3

I don't know if these values change if you have a fever, or if you're sick, cold, running, carrying more etc...  

Assuming it's a constant rate:

That means a full 'gut' of 5000 will run out in ~278 minutes.  Actually this is a reasonable number from full to hungry...

The PROBLEM is how much hunger/refill you get from assorted items.  

If I ate an entire leg of lamb in real life, I'd be good for the full FOUR+ hours the 278 represents... However, a full leg of lamb only gives you 500 hunger.  So...1/2 hour? <-- THERE'S the FAIL.

Thirst is even worse...

Same rate of decline with only half of the starting value.  So thirst impacting performance after only  139 minutes.  

I'm hoping this is fixed.  It's definitely taking away from what I considered 'fun' game-play. 

Good thing it's still in early development. I'm sure things like this will be tweaked over time.

Yes that's right and with community help like this they will implement it if it makes sense.

We need to point out all the things that should be changed and which should stay to build the best mod ever :)

Most of all I wish that they would make more of the changes as variables. That way server owners can make the "choice" to run what they want. After all, what I want does not always end up being what make the server popular and being popular is what brings new members to communities and donations to help keep servers alive. 

Like the advanced flight, I like it and would gladly fly with it on, yet many of our members do not like it so we turned it off to make the majority happy. 

To those having trouble finding food, just like I was before, stop looting trash piles for food and only check containers.  Construction sites (the 4 levels concrete site, usually with a crane nearby) and large buildings like the airport terminal can spawn lots of cabinets, couches, etc.  I am getting a lot of food from there now.  Also, I am finding good spots to "hunt" animals.  Usually hilltops with a good panoramic view so I can see the animals.

Umm, guys, I have an interesting point to ask/make. Is anyone sure that lack of food or drink has consequences? My group has been running around (on a private server) forever and it seems that having Hunger and Thrist at zero doesn't do anything...

EDIT: Keep in mind that the server is vanilla with no other mods...

In my mind its perfect as it is right now.

Its not hard to find food and drink and the hunger/thirst depleets fast enough that you have to be moving around the map to loot.

Food and drink has a high value now, as it should be in a survival game.

I dont want any changes to the eat/drink system. =)

Good point, but I think the difference with Arma3 Epoch is that it isn't a survival game like Standalone. the PvP is the best I've encountered in any game out right now, on a 100 player server, it's intense. iMHO, this is a PvP/base building game over a survival game.

Hunger and Thirst should be a concern, but not at the level it is now(it's pretty ridiculous). right now, you basically get penalized for living past a certain amount of time, and even if you have 5 waters, and piles of food... You need more after 5 minutes.

Everyone posting here gets the point, hopefully this will be scaled down with the next patch( seems it will).