looks like hfbservers called it quits

Mr White

zoinks!

Effective July 12th, 2014

HFBServers LLC will be ceasing operations indefinitely

All active services will be terminated on or before July 31st, 2014.

All Recurring Paypal subscriptions of clients have been cancelled.

All Recurring Credit Card payments have been cancelled.

now I need to find a host again, argh!

That's shitty of them, can you still log into your hosting panel and such? Was thinking about renting an Altis Life server from them awhile back, glad I didn't now. Anyone know what the deal is/what happened?

Also if you're looking for a new host, I'd reccomend Vert Hosting. Good performance, price, and amazing CS.

If you're on a budget GTXGaming is decent. Also comes with free infiSTAR which is nice, though you can't access the files for infiSTAR for modification due to an agreement with infiSTAR (though there are a fair amount of modifiable features in TCAdmin for it). They're also working on adding 1 click mod installs for various scripts free of charge, personally doesn't interest me but might for some. Like Vilayer there are some file access limitations, however if you want to do something like say single currency which requires the use of edited dll files, you can speak with the staff, once they've cleared the file as safe, they'll install it on your server for you. That being said, I'm not gonna sit here and say they're the perfect host, I don't know other hosts to be honest, and I'm not gonna lie saying every waking moments has been heaven. I've experienced downtime about 4 times in a bit over 3 months, only once was it for a long duration (a few hours), the other times my tickets received 15-60 min response times and resolution. Ping is nice and low, players near the server have had as low as 10-20 ping, I myself receive 60-90 roughly, but I'm quite a distance from my server, it's in Dallas Texas USA and I'm in Ottawa Ontario Canada.

Check out the various options listed, try and find servers hosted by others from those hosts for testing and come to a conclusion on what you feel fits your budget and needs.

Huh. I just got this email yesterday:

Hello,

My name is Jonathan Rainier [in Game Name: Pwnoz0r]. You may remember me from HFBServers and all throughout the DayZ Mod community. Some of you may recognize me as moderator in Lirik's channel on Twitch.tv.

I am no longer associated with HFBServers in any way, but I do have an offer you might be interested in. I have teamed up with several experienced business people and programmers to offer a new service. We have set up a new game service provider - Unknown Servers. where our motto is: "We do the work and you play the game". This motto reflects our commitment to providing reliable and state of the art gaming servers. The Unknown Servers team are gamers who know the importance of dependable and responsive hosting companies.

But that is not the only reason why I am writing to you. Unknown Servers would like to host your game servers. If you are interested in purchasing a game service from a quality provider who is committed to giving you the best support no matter what the issue, consider the following offer. By commencing your service with Unknown Servers, simply enter the following coupon code: <OMITTED>, here. This code will provide you with 15% off of your reoccurring bill permanently, that's right, permanently. This is a one-time offer, so now is the time to act.

Just to clarify, Unknown Servers is in no way shape or form associated with HFBServers.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this email, please feel free to contact us here.

We look forward to hosting your server needs,

Jonathan "Pwnoz0r" Rainier

Chief Operating Officer

Unknown Servers LLC.

Huh. I just got this email yesterday:

Hey MrTesla. This has been in a couple different forum posts and this is my response in order to try and clear the air.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this email going out. I am a former employee of HFBServers and after the shutdown of HFBServers on July 12th, I wanted to offer everyone a good service and did so by mailing all previous clients of HFBServers. I obtained your email address and all previous clients by using my administrative credentials of HFBServers being an employee up until the 12th. As mentioned in the email, it was sent one time then deleted. Myself nor any others have access to clients information. As far as I know HFBServers databases and webservers have all been since removed. When I was working at HFBServers, I tried my best to keep the company alive, but it is simply impossible to run a company just as one person. I was a Systems Engineer over at HFBServers shortly after they started. I've taken everything that I've learned from that experience and previous years of programming and joined together with other knowledgeable associates.

HFBServers actually went offline due to both owners abandoning the company while it was still profitable. While they were out swimming, I stayed on the boat trying to keep it afloat and only could do it for so much longer. Hence the reason I left after the agreed shutdown date and moved on with Unknown Servers. Prior to agreeing on the shutdown date, I haven't spoken to either owners for almost 2 months. Yes, I stayed with a company, trying to keep it alive, for that period of time without receiving a single paycheck.

HFBServers is not Unknown Servers. I am a former employee of HFBServers creating a completely separate company and has zero relations with persons of HFBServers any longer.

If you're on a budget GTXGaming is decent. Also comes with free infiSTAR which is nice, though you can't access the files for infiSTAR for modification due to an agreement with infiSTAR (though there are a fair amount of modifiable features in TCAdmin for it). They're also working on adding 1 click mod installs for various scripts free of charge, personally doesn't interest me but might for some. Like Vilayer there are some file access limitations, however if you want to do something like say single currency which requires the use of edited dll files, you can speak with the staff, once they've cleared the file as safe, they'll install it on your server for you. That being said, I'm not gonna sit here and say they're the perfect host, I don't know other hosts to be honest, and I'm not gonna lie saying every waking moments has been heaven. I've experienced downtime about 4 times in a bit over 3 months, only once was it for a long duration (a few hours), the other times my tickets received 15-60 min response times and resolution. Ping is nice and low, players near the server have had as low as 10-20 ping, I myself receive 60-90 roughly, but I'm quite a distance from my server, it's in Dallas Texas USA and I'm in Ottawa Ontario Canada.

Check out the various options listed, try and find servers hosted by others from those hosts for testing and come to a conclusion on what you feel fits your budget and needs.

I'd avoid GTX. Halv purchased a server from them when shopping around, and it literally came with errors off the start. Arma 2 functions were missing. When he asked them about it, they denied there was any issue. He asked for an upgrade to a VPS so he could just install it all himself, and the VPS had stuff all over from the previous user. They had deleted a few folders and files, but the VPS wasn't clean. He had issues installing what he needed because some of it was already partially installed by the previous user.

He ended up filing a dispute through Paypal because they still refused to acknowledge a problem. After fighting him tooth and nail over it, paypal chose their side, since the services were rendered as agreed, just not to the quality expected.

When you purchase a server from them, the server is already paid for. They don't have their own servers, they rent them from different sources. If they sell you a package and you don't like it, they can't refund that money because they have already spent it in overhead renting these servers. They don't know what they are doing when it comes to Arma, and if your server has an issue, they cannot resolve it. They have to forward the issue to the server provider they are renting from, and relay the response back to you.

And then on top of that, you have the whole DayZ Origins issue.....

I'd avoid GTX. Halv purchased a server from them when shopping around, and it literally came with errors off the start. Arma 2 functions were missing. When he asked them about it, they denied there was any issue. He asked for an upgrade to a VPS so he could just install it all himself, and the VPS had stuff all over from the previous user. They had deleted a few folders and files, but the VPS wasn't clean. He had issues installing what he needed because some of it was already partially installed by the previous user.

He ended up filing a dispute through Paypal because they still refused to acknowledge a problem. After fighting him tooth and nail over it, paypal chose their side, since the services were rendered as agreed, just not to the quality expected.

When you purchase a server from them, the server is already paid for. They don't have their own servers, they rent them from different sources. If they sell you a package and you don't like it, they can't refund that money because they have already spent it in overhead renting these servers. They don't know what they are doing when it comes to Arma, and if your server has an issue, they cannot resolve it. They have to forward the issue to the server provider they are renting from, and relay the response back to you.

And then on top of that, you have the whole DayZ Origins issue.....

Well I'm thankful I didn't encounter any severe issues myself then. Only reason I went with them is cause I'm temporarily unemployed and can't really afford much, otherwise I'd be renting a dedi box. When i did initial searching for a host pretty much everyone who's name I saw come up had more hate then love, with the exception of Vert, I never even knew they existed until a few weeks ago. Thus I just went with the offer that seemed to present the most for the lowest cost and figured, if it goes to shit I'll just cancel out, $25 isn't something I'll lose sleep over. I'll stick it out with them now so long as nothing goes wrong until I either get a good player base and need to upgrade, or h1z1 rolls in and I decide to move on (if of course I have no players, I'd be a dick to just cancel a server people play on lol).

With all the guides out there today, you can purchase a dedicated server and have it up and running a dayz server in about 30 minutes. If you put in a little time, it's not much more of a cost and you get complete comtrol.

You could even throw tcAdmin on the server if you wanted :D

• 2 weeks later...