Custom Signage

Sli

Hey guys. I made these signs for a server I play on and they've had some good feedback so I thought i'd post them up here if people want to use them on other servers too. They are designed to go on the outside of safe-zoned traders to warn players of the rules as they enter. It helps keep the immersion that you lose through a chat channel message.

B2htsG1.jpg

I81Z9pu.jpg

CrOVoyt.jpg

I have a small imgur album here with various sizes depending on file-size needed to keep your mission file small. You'll want to convert them to .paa or .jpg depending on what is your preferred method of adding it as a texture. My only condition of use is that you include my forum name (Sli) as attribution and don't claim it as your own. Other than that, let me know what you think!

Edit: Accidentally posted this here rather than under the server mods corner, it probably makes more sense there right?

Hey, I don't have much experience with how server side scripting is structured, but you'll need to place these signs manually in the editor (or via code triggered in init.sqf when the server starts). I have been using a sign with the class name SignM_UN_Base_EP1. Then add...

this setObjectTexture [0, "texture.jpg"];

...to the "init" expression on the object, where "texture.jpg" is the file name for the image placed in the main directory of your scripts. I've used the .jpg as an example just because that's the only compressed version i've provided (100kb each). Obviously if you convert to .paa or use a different name you'll want to update that. 

If anyone can explain this better, or has a link to a more thorough tutorial, please link it.

• 6 months later...

I just found this and want to put some signs in.... I cannot seem to get it to work though.  The code in my mission.swf is:

_unit_175 = objNull;
if (true) then
{
  _this = createVehicle ["WarfareBunkerSign", [11689.864, 15203.046, -1.0456803], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
  _vehicle_50 = _this;
  _this setDir 23.513571;
  _this setVehicleInit "this SetObjectTexture [0,""scripts\signs\warning100kb.jpg""]";
  _this setPos [11689.864, 15203.046, -1.0456803];
};

I've also tried other signs besides "WarefareBunkerSign".  Nothing appears, not even the default sign.  And no errors or warnings in either the server side or client side .rpt logs.

This is just one entry in a much larger file.  Do the _unit_XXX need to be consecutive?  Because they are not on my server.  And what is the significance of the number on the _vehicle_XX ?  I have a number of other _vehicle_xx and some have duplicate numbers and some do not.  I cannot see any rationale for when they should be the same vs not.    I'm running an Epoch/Overwatch/Origins server and everything else in my mission.sqf (custom traders) appears in-game.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Bob

1st of all is the scripts\signs\warning100kb.jpg inside your server and mission pbo fles?

Thats where i have mine...and here is how i load it.

_vehicle_4 = objNull;
if (true) then
{
  _this = createVehicle ["SignM_FARP_Winchester_EP1", [15302.972, 9286.2441, 4.2915344e-005], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
  _vehicle_4 = _this;
  _this setDir -179.87433;
  _this setVehicleInit "this setObjectTexture [0,""custom\sign.jpg""];";
  _this setPos [15302.972, 9286.2441, 4.2915344e-005];
};

I actually tried the texture file in three different places...

The root of dayz_server.pbo (at the same level as the /compile, /init, /system folders)

In the dayz_server.pbo/missions folder (where all the DayZ_Epoch_x instances are)

In the dayz_server.pbo/missions/DayZ_Epoch_13.Tavi folder (since that's the one I'm using)

It never found the file in any of those places.  I just kept getting the message that the .jpg couldn't be found.

Thanks,

Bob 

I just found this and want to put some signs in.... I cannot seem to get it to work though.  The code in my mission.swf is:

_unit_175 = objNull;

if (true) then

{

_this = createVehicle ["WarfareBunkerSign", [11689.864, 15203.046, -1.0456803], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];

_vehicle_50 = _this;

_this setDir 23.513571;

_this setVehicleInit "this SetObjectTexture [0,""scripts\signs\warning100kb.jpg""]";

};

I've also tried other signs besides "WarefareBunkerSign".  Nothing appears, not even the default sign.  And no errors or warnings in either the server side or client side .rpt logs.

This is just one entry in a much larger file.  Do the _unit_XXX need to be consecutive?  Because they are not on my server.  And what is the significance of the number on the _vehicle_XX ?  I have a number of other _vehicle_xx and some have duplicate numbers and some do not.  I cannot see any rationale for when they should be the same vs not.    I'm running an Epoch/Overwatch/Origins server and everything else in my mission.sqf (custom traders) appears in-game.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Bob

Should be

_vehicle_50 = objNull;
if (true) then
{
  _vehicle_50 = _this;
  _this setDir 23.513571;
};

I actually tried the texture file in three different places...

The root of dayz_server.pbo (at the same level as the /compile, /init, /system folders)

In the dayz_server.pbo/missions folder (where all the DayZ_Epoch_x instances are)

In the dayz_server.pbo/missions/DayZ_Epoch_13.Tavi folder (since that's the one I'm using)

It never found the file in any of those places.  I just kept getting the message that the .jpg couldn't be found.

Thanks,

Bob 

The images goes into the MPMission folder =)

DayZ_Epoch_13.Tavi\scripts\signs folder =)

but if you have the object in your server...then do the same in the dayz_server files...or you'll get an error from there as well.

i have in both dayz_server and mission.pbo a folder called custom and inside i have the same jpg file...so when i load it like  custom\texture.jpg  (cause the object is made in missions.sqf inside dayz_server) i get no errors