How do I deal with complainers

Ayaka

So recently ever since arma updated, it broke our epoch server, 2 of 5 people blame the coder for it. The complainers are basically making the coder quit with what hes doing. They clearly dont know that we admins have life duties to deal with. I have told complainers they can leave if they wish, we arent forcing them to stay

If the coder wants to quit let him quit. If the players want to leave let them leave.     Now, you cant keep both parties happy all the time. If the coder cant fix the issue, might want to find a better coder. If coder can do and just needs time. Tell the players that it will happen in time. If they keep complaining ask how they would fix it. If they don't know or say get a better coder. Then tell him to stop complaining .  Keep in mind you cant really keep both parties happy. So pick the one that will improve your server. Also if you cant handle people complaining at you, then your not going to get far in hosting.

Running a server is not always easy. And like Namindu said you won't be able to keep the coder happy and the players at the same time usually. This is still an alpha mod, and by itself it runs okay, but not great. The players need to understand that as well. But when you start adding scripts, from many different coders, sometimes/usually something does not agree with something else, so its a balancing act. I code for the server that we run, and it's not easy for me, but it just takes time. I use quite a bit of the scripts from this forum and appreciate the time that everyone puts into their work. It's also good to try to have a test server, and have a couple players help you with it, or you can use other admins and just not give them the admin status so they reflect what will happen when the player does something.

The main ingredients for Epoch are:

1. Building

Make sure anything you do does not effect player's buildings or storage. They did not spend 20+ hours building a base for it to just disappear.

2. Loot

Making the loot work properly is not very hard, just takes time.

3. Antagonist (AI)

Keeping some sort of mission system or roaming ai on top of what epoch antagonist seems to be good. Need to keep the players focused on something besides the normal routine.

4. Player Interaction

This is probably the most important part, is in the player base. If you do not have a good player base, and by that I mean people who don't grieve buildings or glitch and bend or break rules, then your server is not going to do good. Enforcing rules equally and not playing favorites to donors over 'regular' players.

5. Updates

When a new update drops like that, its important to have your server ready and up. If you do not, then your players who have already downloaded the patch and are ready to play it may move on to a different server or whatever may cause them not to want to come back.

If your coder cannot handle these things then he should maybe figure out something else to do. Get used to everything breaking every time an update drops, it happens. People will always complain about something, it's best not to take it to heart or too seriously. If your server is running well and it is how you want it, then just let it play out and the players will sort themselves out.

If the coder wants to quit let him quit. If the players want to leave let them leave.     Now, you cant keep both parties happy all the time. If the coder cant fix the issue, might want to find a better coder. If coder can do and just needs time. Tell the players that it will happen in time. If they keep complaining ask how they would fix it. If they don't know or say get a better coder. Then tell him to stop complaining .  Keep in mind you cant really keep both parties happy. So pick the one that will improve your server. Also if you cant handle people complaining at you, then your not going to get far in hosting.

Running a server is not always easy. And like Namindu said you won't be able to keep the coder happy and the players at the same time usually. This is still an alpha mod, and by itself it runs okay, but not great. The players need to understand that as well. But when you start adding scripts, from many different coders, sometimes/usually something does not agree with something else, so its a balancing act. I code for the server that we run, and it's not easy for me, but it just takes time. I use quite a bit of the scripts from this forum and appreciate the time that everyone puts into their work. It's also good to try to have a test server, and have a couple players help you with it, or you can use other admins and just not give them the admin status so they reflect what will happen when the player does something.

The main ingredients for Epoch are:

1. Building

Make sure anything you do does not effect player's buildings or storage. They did not spend 20+ hours building a base for it to just disappear.

2. Loot

Making the loot work properly is not very hard, just takes time.

3. Antagonist (AI)

Keeping some sort of mission system or roaming ai on top of what epoch antagonist seems to be good. Need to keep the players focused on something besides the normal routine.

4. Player Interaction

This is probably the most important part, is in the player base. If you do not have a good player base, and by that I mean people who don't grieve buildings or glitch and bend or break rules, then your server is not going to do good. Enforcing rules equally and not playing favorites to donors over 'regular' players.

5. Updates

When a new update drops like that, its important to have your server ready and up. If you do not, then your players who have already downloaded the patch and are ready to play it may move on to a different server or whatever may cause them not to want to come back.

If your coder cannot handle these things then he should maybe figure out something else to do. Get used to everything breaking every time an update drops, it happens. People will always complain about something, it's best not to take it to heart or too seriously. If your server is running well and it is how you want it, then just let it play out and the players will sort themselves out.

Coder isnt really going to quit, just like done kinda, the complainer is being more snobful, isnt his first rodeo. coder isnt really mad about updates breaking everything.

Welcome to Arma. Players that know how things go are more acceptable about things being broke. Then you have the kids that complain about everything. Stand your ground and just be good admin. If your "coder" threatens to quit because of a few players. Then obviously he/she can't take criticism. If the Epoch Devs quit every time a few players complained, there would be no Epoch.  

On my Server i mostly stay undercover.

As Admin im only visible on the Teamspeak.

if they complain about something ive got my rulebook for support that everyone is able to read.

1 day someone came to me and said he lost his strider and said its my fault cause its bugged cause of me.

the funny thing was.

in my epochconfig the strider wasnt even listed xDDDD

Gave him a kick in the ass and never gave support to him or his clan again.

The thing is if you give gear back cause of bugs everyone wants to abuse that.

so no gear back at all.

Deal with it.

On my Server i mostly stay undercover.

As Admin im only visible on the Teamspeak.

if they complain about something ive got my rulebook for support that everyone is able to read.

1 day someone came to me and said he lost his strider and said its my fault cause its bugged cause of me.

the funny thing was.

in my epochconfig the strider wasnt even listed xDDDD

Gave him a kick in the ass and never gave support to him or his clan again.

The thing is if you give gear back cause of bugs everyone wants to abuse that.

so no gear back at all.

Deal with it.

No offense, but that hard to fallow, when your signature shows that your server is not found......

"Gave him a kick in the ass and never gave support to him or his clan again."

Just me, but is that not a "dick move"? Why should others be hurt cause of someone else lie? Plus that not a good look, if you tell people that.

Your "coder" is a wuss and your players are just another bunch of entitled teenagers. But, at least your heart is in right place. Solution? Build cinder walls around yourself, put fingers in your ears and shout "nanananana". There's actually an awesome song like this, can't think of a name, but it's about the kid and 2 weirdos.

But seriously, these emotional issues are not worth worrying over, that's literary all it is - little bit of drama, part of every admin's life. I like to call it a byproduct of an undeveloped brain...

lol now I sound like a hatin' ol' geezer... :D

familyGuy_vol_2_youngPeopleSuck.jpg

You should do what I did, find someone that's eager to help; and learn how to code, teach him, then sit back and relax...jk, Actually the way to do it it's to delegate, that helps a lot as well, otherwise it becomes overwhelming and then that's when people quit, you should just be more patient, you are an smart kid, you shouldn't let people get to you like that and like you said, communication it's the key... talk it out mate.

You should do what I did, find someone that's eager to help; and learn how to code, teach him, then sit back and relax...jk, Actually the way to do it it's to delegate, that helps a lot as well, otherwise it becomes overwhelming and then that's when people quit, you should just be more patient, you are an smart kid, you shouldn't let people get to you like that and like you said, communication it's the key... talk it out mate.

That wont really help the casue, if your coder bans someone without your permission ;)