When will vehciles be locakable?

downtime89

well that sucks, why would they make that default? Seems to me if you lock a vehicle it should remain locked....kinda defeats the purpose of building up a base in the game if someone can just walk up and take everything when your not online, wish i had of known that before buying arma3. Just a little bit of a issue if you decide to build your base out in the middle of wild and someone grabs your only vehicle while your offline....i have walked altis map back and forth and not found a single vehicle...so i really hope they eventually make them lockable...

well that sucks, why would they make that default? Seems to me if you lock a vehicle it should remain locked....kinda defeats the purpose of building up a base in the game if someone can just walk up and take everything when your not online, wish i had of known that before buying arma3.

please stop crying i hate it when people want things handed to them if you build your base correctly no one is gonna steal anything dont build a stupidly huge base that just points out to everyone hey i have a base come steal stuff be smart when making a base and hide it well and your stuff will be fine i have played on a 100 man full server for 3 weeks now and my base has not been broken into or vehicles stolen this is not arma 2 epoch and never will be and imo thats how it should be

No one is crying hoste If stating your opinion is crying the i think there is a problem with this world, its not my fault you dont want to hear my opinion. I run a arma 2 server and its just my opinion they need to make that a optional setting for server owners to chose. on a PVE server you shouldn't have to worry how you build your base to protect your items. You stated your opinion on how arma3 should be, and so did i.

@HosteD,
he wasn't "crying" as you put it. He was asking a VERY relevent question seeing as in arma 2 epoch and all it's derivatives vehicles remained locked.

And to quote you "this is not arma 2 epoch and never will be and imo thats how it should be"
No, it isn't arma 2 epoch. It is arma 3 epoch which is based off of arma 2 epoch to the point of the more commonly modded in features are included by default so why should vehicles unlock like this. They even carried over the name. If it wasn't intended to be an advancement of it, why not rename it to something else.

It seems to me that it is really a bug and not a "feature". Seeing as how if it was intended for them to just unlock then why give the option to lock them at all?

base locks, lockbox locks, garage door locks all stay locked until someone within the group ID they are saved to, unlocks them. so there is absolutely no reason why you should be getting any vehicles stolen from you if you know how to build. 

the half hour locks prevent the ridiculous clutter of locked vehicles all over the open map that no one can access to, or ever have access to because the owner decided to switch server, or quit. I fucking hated that in Arma 2 overpoch, with its idiotic key system. So this is a welcome change. its long enough to lock up when you are raiding, or doing runs, but still possible to retrieve the vehicle as a new player if its been abandoned.

base locks, lockbox locks, garage door locks all stay locked until someone within the group ID they are saved to, unlocks them. so there is absolutely no reason why you should be getting any vehicles stolen from you if you know how to build. 

the half hour locks prevent the ridiculous clutter of locked vehicles all over the open map that no one can access to, or ever have access to because the owner decided to switch server, or quit. I fucking hated that in Arma 2 overpoch, with its idiotic key system. So this is a welcome change. its long enough to lock up when you are raiding, or doing runs, but still possible to retrieve the vehicle as a new player if its been abandoned.

Arma 2 EPOCH also had the option for an event such as this to de-key abandoned vehicles:

DROP EVENT IF EXISTS unlockAbandonedVehicles;
CREATE EVENT unlockAbandonedVehicles
ON SCHEDULE EVERY 1 DAY
COMMENT 'Unlocks vehicles that have been abandoned'
DO
UPDATE `Object_DATA` SET `CharacterID` = 0 WHERE `LastUpdated` < DATE_SUB(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, INTERVAL 4 DAY) AND `Datestamp` < DATE_SUB(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, INTERVAL 10 DAY) AND `CharacterID` > 0 AND `Classname` NOT IN ('VaultStorage','LockboxStorage','VaultStorageLocked','LockboxStorageLocked','WoodShack_DZ','StorageShed_DZ','TentStorageDomed','TentStorageDomed2','TentStorage')  AND `Inventory` <> '[]' AND `Inventory` IS NOT NULL;

There were even very effective ways to create masterkeys and even unlock vehicles which the keys had been lost for upon restarts or whatever time interval you wanted.

Either way, something needs done about it such as making it unlock every day or so instead of the ridiculous 30 minutes.

It could even be "keyed" to a player id or group id if it were so desired.

The key system in arma 2 EPOCH already misused the characterID value to assign a key as it were.

I'd rather see some sophisticated lockpicking system than to just have them be magically locked or unlocked by someone. The only caveat is that people would then expect every lock to be pickable.

Even a GUI with say 10ish+ "buttons" that you had to "enter" in the right order, that are random to each vehicle, which then has a percent chance of working (20%ish?), and you required a certain item (non-consumable and rare itself), would be better imo.

The thing is, "it will come". Maybe not made by the devs, but someone will make it happend. Other ArmA3 mods have it so why would this mod have it. So to this response, I'll say.....

please stop crying i hate it when people want things handed to them if you build your base correctly no one is gonna steal anything dont build a stupidly huge base that just points out to everyone hey i have a base come steal stuff be smart when making a base and hide it well and your stuff will be fine i have played on a 100 man full server for 3 weeks now and my base has not been broken into or vehicles stolen this is not arma 2 epoch and never will be and imo thats how it should be

.....keep on dreaming boy........

I think there should be a locking system for vehicles.  But it could be defeated by a lockpicking kit with say a 30% chance of success on each try of a single-use kit.  To prevent tons of locked vehicles from staying on the map, just have it set so that the lock expires after 7 days of inactivity.  Then anyone could take the vehicle and claim it as their own and it could be lockable again.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  Problem solved and both sides of the argument wins.  :) 

this

Too much hoarding would go on if cars stayed locked indefinitely. 

Since ARMA3 vehicles drag down performance so much more than ARMA2, I think this is the best way to balance it out.

Woulddn't have to be indefinite. On most arma 2 servers, it is a week or so but could even be made 2 or 3 days if desired with the sql event I posted a few posts up. It could probably even be made so you can only have one or two locked vehicles. That would prevent most hoarding.

For the the most part enough said!

What's more we have little idea of what is planned so let's demand less and work together.

Maybe add an ability to "upgrade" a vehicle with a lock, but it would cost a certain amount of krypto each day to maintain the vehicle...something like 1000/day or whatever, so that folks don't go around claiming every vehicle they see. Have a maintenance window (like bases), and nuke the car if maintenance payment is missed.

I ran a DB query to delete all locked vehicles that were not used by the owner in > 2 weeks on my ArmA 2 Epoch server.  So locked vehicles that were abandoned or unused were not a problem. Not every player wants to build a base where they can secure a vehicle. Vagabonds can live out of a locked vehicle and park it anywhere on the map.