Why 30m from a fuel tank?

Eegore

So fuel pumps now need to be placed 30m from a fuel tank.

I thought the point of them was to have a refuel option at your base.  Why this change?

What exactly is the value of having a pump by a structure that already will pump fuel?  Just so we can be 30m further from the original tank?

I kind of agree with this. The refuel mechanism, if tied to a fixed large fuel tank, only offers a slight time saving over manual refuelling. It's not like this is ammo, its just fuel.

Put this back to the way it was. Add Wasteland Style water barrels and deployable oil barrels for persistent fire replacement in bases (also gets around the crafting problem when your airborne and cant make place/make fires)

Place it within 30m of a standard fuel source and power up a generator and you have a fueling station.

So... 

Construct two objects which requires you to sit still  during an animation, twice. Then sit still during an animation while you fill and start the generator. Then sit still during yet another animation while the vehicle fuels. All while fending off zombies and other players? 

OR

Put two Gerry cans in your inventory and take about the same amount of time to fill a vehicle from the same fuel source without building a "station" for others to come along and use or destroy or having to waste time disassembling. For choppers it might be FASTER to use the Fuel Barrels. 

On custom servers we can simply add a script to do the same thing easier from fuel sources. 

On vanilla Epoch it's probably faster to use Gerry Cans. 

AKA: "Trash Loot"

Look, this is honest feedback on the mod, if a bit harsh. They really are not useful right now where as before they allowed people to set up a fueling area in their base. 

Most of you missing the point where a fuel pump near the tank MAKES SENSE. Yeah its faster for small cars to use a jerry can, with tanks less than 200 liters. But the fuel pump can fill a freaking fuel truck with 10k liters in 10 animations. To do this with jerry cans you would need to do the animation 500 times and with a fuel barrel about 50 times. Fuel pump and generator are faster for vehicles with large fuel tanks.

I'm glad the change was done to fix magical free fuel bug. Great work Axle and Awol, and the rest of the Epoch dev team. These are the kind of fixes that bring balance to the game, and make epoch what it is.

Now for the suggestion: Make a  DZE version of a fuel tank, that can be crafted with a sledge hammer and a workshop, from 6 corrugated fences and 6 fuel barrels, and requires maintenance of 2 corrugated and 8 fuel barrels to 'refill' it (or whatever values you feel are more appropriate). Making it high cost keeps balance and simulates refueling. Make the fuel pump rare again.

I still am, a fan of the original ideas from earlier versions of epoch where it was intended to make fuel a kinda scarce resource, where tanks on the map had limited amount of fuel. The only way I see this being possible is if a new static vehicle, 'fuel tank' was created with 10k liters of fuel, and could spawn in industrial complexes and cities and write to the DB to save and be persistent. Once the count in the DB reaches a set number, no more will spawn, and it will clean up after the interval to create new fuel sources. MG turrets have fuel options, even though they cant hold any so this could be possible. Using static locations next to current fuel tanks could help players in locating these fuel containers. At this point all the regular tanks would be unusable being deemed empty after 5 years. This would be a big hassle though, and the best way to do it cant be done with the existing arma2 engine.

Anyhow, dont be lazy players, use the generator, and the fuel pump as intended. It has its uses! ;)

Now for the suggestion: Make a  DZE version of a fuel tank, that can be crafted with a sledge hammer and a workshop, from 6 corrugated fences and 6 fuel barrels, and requires maintenance of 2 corrugated and 8 fuel barrels to 'refill' it (or whatever values you feel are more appropriate). Making it high cost keeps balance and simulates refueling. Make the fuel pump rare again.

This is a good idea and makes the Fuel Pumps much more useful since we could then refill our fuel source and utilize Fuel Pumps in the base.  Till something like that happens I guess I will store the pumps and hunt up a Fuel Truck. 

Aside from the use case relating to filling a fuel truck (not heard of that before) I still don't get it.

I understand the theory, but if you are close enough to access the fuel tank directly then in my personal view it is easier and quieter to simply run fuel cans, or for helicopters a fuel barrel, back and forth.

On our server most people have setup heli bases on the roofs and use fuel pumps to fuel them. That will now be replaced by ferrying fuel barrels.

This is a game after all and there are many examples of unrealistic behaviour in the game already. This seems like a lengthy mechanic that is not adding any real value.

The fuel pump at 30m allows you to build a base near a fuel supply or build a chopper fuel point that saves accidental crashes into the fuel station.

Or, find a fuel tanker truck (lorry) and fill up endlessly from that. Both methods are infinitely quicker than ferrying gerry cans to a chopper or fuel hungry lorry..

Dropping a fuel station into a base is not realistic and, I would guess, is not going to happen. A Derrick and refinery at a very hefty cost is realistic.. 250 scrap metal and a team of 3 people to build it ?

Dropping a fuel station into a base is not realistic and, I would guess, is not going to happen. 

I don't understand why not. I get why a fuel pump should not work alone without a fuel source nearby, but what I don't like is that we can't get a fuel source nearby which either means we refuel far from the base, or build our base around certain refuel points on the map. Now, NONE of those refuel points actually  have a Derrick and refinery. All of them are tanks at a farm or a gas station where the fuel is brought in by truck and dumped into tanks either above or below the ground. I have NO problem with needing to build a large fuel tank and bring fuel to it. That is what happens to all the "fuel sources" on the map technically or at least how they got their fuel to begin with. 

vbawol or Axle, is there anway that you can create a new crafting item, i.e. "Land_Ind_TankSmall2" that we have to fill with fuel from fuel barrels or jerry cans and then use those as a fuel supply for a fuel pump and generator?  That way people who build bases in the middle of nowhere can still be self sufficient!

vbawol or Axle, is there anway that you can create a new crafting item, i.e. "Land_Ind_TankSmall2" that we have to fill with fuel from fuel barrels or jerry cans and then use those as a fuel supply for a fuel pump and generator?  That way people who build bases in the middle of nowhere can still be self sufficient!

This is what I originally thought the fuel system was going to be but figured they just went with a pump to save time.

There are liquid gas tanks (propane etc.) that are smaller than the current "Rusty" tank that would work well for this.

I guess we're going to see some new garages build around the fuel tanks around the server..

:)

Yeah and smart people like myself have already placed plot poles inside of sheds surrounded by tank traps and cinder walls so no one but me can use the pumps now.  Used up a lot of resources but its worth it to eliminate all refuel spots on the map with the exception of fuel trucks.