View Distance

Oshydaka

Question

19 answers to this question

Is this actually possible? I believe i read somewhere that this is coded in the DayZ code itself (so it's client side coded, not server side)

If what i read is true, then you might be able to change it, but people who would like to join your server would need to download configured DayZ CLIENT files from an external source (e.g. your website), causing DayZ Commander to say your version (and that of the server) is corrupt. People without these client files wouldn't even see your server if they've filtered all the bad version servers etc in commander.

But, i can be wrong. And if i am, keep in mind that people who have lower-end PC hardware, will still need to change their client view-distance (video settings) anyway to keep their FPS on an acceptable level.

I don't have this in my init.sqf.

Where can i add this ? Anywhere ?

And it's setViewDistance 3000; or setViewDistance = 3000; ?

You need to put it in your sqf that are config variables like the other ones

heres my init config example

// DayZ Epoch config

spawnShoremode = 1; // Default = 1 (on shore)

spawnArea= 1500; // Default = 1500

MaxHeliCrashes= 5; // Default = 5

MaxVehicleLimit = 1000; // Default = 50

MaxDynamicDebris = 25; // Default = 100

dayz_MapArea = 14000; // Default = 10000

dayz_maxLocalZombies = 10; // Default = 30

dayz_maxAnimals = 10;

DZE_BuildingLimit = 300;

dayz_zedsAttackVehicles = false;

setViewDistance 2200;

setTerrainGrid 20;

Hi, I took this screenshot recently on your server, view is at 10000M (iirc)

Its from the high ground in the north west corner facing south, NWAF is in the middle right of the pic with radio tower and zog castle in the background.

Thanks for uploading that picture. It looks amazing.

It's a shame arma is so intensive so multiplayer servers can't handle this.

is the arma engine. there is a fog, visibly and in code at a distance. having a kick ass pc and server helps.

is why the headless client is only accurate up to a certain distance.

it seems to me that the more players, i.e. network traffic, the smaller the radius becomes, that the player can 'see'. how else could the server possibly handle over 50 players in a country sized playable arena ?

i do suspect however, that zooming in with a sniper rifle gives you better focus over a longer distance. needs to be tested.. someone needs to edit a zoom to 2km. that screenshot is impressive but i couldnt headshot a zed over it... or could i ?

the projectile becomes its own vehicle so once it leaves the gun the ability to check its surrounding, in flight, is easily doable. a cruise missile can travel the whole map but it must update it's surrounding as it goes.. whats stopping a cctv on front of it ? just needs coding.

ultimately the distance fog is required due to cpu/ram limitations. arma handles it better than any game engine i have worked on.

dont try and beat it.. work with the limitations. they are there for good reason.

think it.. code it !

One question about this. I use these lines in my init:

setViewDistance 2000;
setTerrainGrid 20;

It works but sometimes after the restart the viewdistance goes back to something around 600m. Any way to fix it? I'm using a custom colour correction if that has something to do with it.